Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 04:51 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,002,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Which one is it,being protected from those with mental illnesses or protecting their rights to not be stigmatised?
It really depends on the level of severity and if one is a danger to self or danger to others. If one is schizophrenic, one may be committed. Or even bipolar. Or even just unipolar depressed. This guy may well have fallen into that category (I'd say schizophrenic). With his incoherent ramblings, that would be my guess, although the seriously mentally ill (SMI) are usually not perpetrators of crime, rather victims of it.

At some point, if a person needs treatment badly enough and cannot afford to pay for it privately, it will have to become a matter of record.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:53 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
It really depends on the level of severity and if one is a danger to self or danger to others. If one is schizophrenic, one may be committed. Or even bipolar. Or even just unipolar depressed. This guy may well have fallen into that category (I'd say schizophrenic). With his incoherent ramblings, that would be my guess, although the seriously mentally ill (SMI) are usually not perpetrators of crime, rather victims of it.

At some point, if a person needs treatment badly enough and cannot afford to pay for it privately, it will have to become a matter of record.
And how would you or anyone know what level of mental illness someone is afflicted with????

Old 01-09-2011, 04:55 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
And how would you or anyone know what level of mental illness someone is afflicted with????
And one must wonder should all gun shop owners be made private to the personal information of anyone and everyone who ever had counseling?
Or just law enforcment?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:57 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Perhaps all those judged mentally ill should be placed in some type of secure institution so as not to threaten the public.....

Old 01-09-2011, 04:57 PM

648 posts, read 1,175,048 times
It seems pretty obvious to me that he's schizophrenic, or close to it. But he still lived with his parents. SO WHERE WERE THEY?? Were they monitoring him, trying to get him help? Or just ignoring the situation? He had dropped out of school and as far as we know, wasn't working.... so what was he doing all day? He apparently had plenty of time to work on his Facebook page and post rambling messages that don't make any sense on YouTube.
And I read in the news somewhere that he DID have some prior offenses, minor ones- possession of drug paraphernalia I believe....

Old 01-09-2011, 05:00 PM

<And how would you or anyone know what level of mental illness someone is afflicted with>

According to news reports, it is said that he may be schiz..... and if you read the youtube postings that don't really make any sense, & what other witnesses have said about his behavior, it fits that... paranoid schizophrenia, actually...

Old 01-09-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
That's where a psych eval enters the picture. There were so many red flags and so many balls dropped - the parents, the educators, the friends, casual acquaintances. But it's easier to just look the other way.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
<And how would you or anyone know what level of mental illness someone is afflicted with>

According to news reports, it is said that he may be schiz..... and if you read the youtube postings that don't really make any sense, & what other witnesses have said about his behavior, it fits that... paranoid schizophrenia, actually...
Yup, this makes sense to me. I've worked in mental health before and am quite familiar with all DSM IV diagnoses. Schizophrenia (in terms of incoherence and ramblings) is a dead giveaway. Otherwise, one could think anti-social personality disorder. Clearly, this guy was seriously mentally ill. On the right meds, with the right interventions, things could have had a different outcome.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:04 PM

Let me revise what I said.... so far, it appears that the parents should have done more.. HOWEVER.. unfortunately these days, the SCHOOLS need to do more as well, to make up for the parents who are too busy, distracted, in denial, unaware, etc... But we don't yet know if the school tried to do anything or not. But then what can you do? The teacher who does a write-up of a child's disturbed behavior, might these days get death threats from psycho parents.. or the kid might come back and shoot THEM... it seems like a lose-lose all the way around.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:06 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
It seems pretty obvious to me that he's schizophrenic, or close to it. But he still lived with his parents. SO WHERE WERE THEY?? Were they monitoring him, trying to get him help? Or just ignoring the situation? He had dropped out of school and as far as we know, wasn't working.... so what was he doing all day? He apparently had plenty of time to work on his Facebook page and post rambling messages that don't make any sense on YouTube.
And I read in the news somewhere that he DID have some prior offenses, minor ones- possession of drug paraphernalia I believe....
Keep in mind that in most cases it's hard to condemn a person to a mental institution until they are a PROVEN threat to themselves or somebody else.

Also this guy was a legally an adult, just because he lived wtih his parent's doesn't mean they were heavily involved in his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies