Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 04:28 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,002,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Why are you afraid of freedom?
I'm not afraid of freedom. I'm afraid of people with untreated mental illness with guns. And before you ask the obvious, I think it's pretty mentally ill to show up with an AK47 strapped to your back at a place where the POTUS is speaking. It was even more mentally ill that the secret service did not increase the perimeter around that place. Crazy the whole way around.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:32 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I'm not afraid of freedom. I'm afraid of people with untreated mental illness with guns.
Should every person be mentally tested,and it be public knowledge,is that what you want?

Quote:
And before you ask the obvious, I think it's pretty mentally ill to show up with an AK47 strapped to your back at a place where the POTUS is speaking. It was even more mentally ill that the secret service did not increase the perimeter around that place. Crazy the whole way around.

Could you post a pic of someone with an AK47 on their back when the POTUS was speaking?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Should every person be mentally tested,and it be public knowledge,is that what you want?
No, as long as not a menace to society, no.

Quote:
Could you post a pic of someone with an AK47 on their back when the POTUS was speaking?
I don't know how to do pics, but I will post an article.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9A4SU8G1

Old 01-09-2011, 04:37 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I don't think this gunman was influenced much by either side. But the climate of hate that many of you, on both the right and the left, on this forum and elsewhere, are creating, is making this country almost unliveable for the rest of us.
It's possible he took in bits and pieces too. Or took his whole new turn on an idea. If he has scitsophrenia then no telling what he took from what he heard. But it hurts to see the spewing of hatred towards someone who doesn't agree with you, making them the enemy. I grew up in the sixties and what I remember most is the hatred. It never does anyone any good to react rather than think. What we need is for everyone to stop and listen and take off the blinders or were heading for a very bad place. Out there ARE people who WOULD kill for political reasons and this tragedy will fuel them. Is that the world we want?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:40 PM

648 posts, read 1,175,048 times
Maybe all public forums should just have a metal detector at the entrance? So much for 'freedom'.. Thanks, crazies. But unfortunately violence is a risk of a 'free' society... especially when there aren't enough social/medical programs to deal with mental illness. Easy access to drugs didn't help this creep either. The REAL people to blame here.. is the Mommy & Daddy of this little monster. WHERE the heck were they all this time, that he was exhibiting disturbed behavior?? WHY did they not do something about it????? WHY was he not in a psych ward?? If they DID,, then we have yet to hear about it..... I'm still waiting......!!!

Old 01-09-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
No, as long as not a menace to society, no.
How do you prove this?

Quote:
I don't know how to do pics, but I will post an article.

Man carrying assault weapon attends Obama protest
That isn't an AK47.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:42 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
Maybe all public forums should just have a metal detector at the entrance? So much for 'freedom'.. Thanks, crazies. But unfortunately violence is a risk of a 'free' society... especially when there aren't enough social/medical programs to deal with mental illness. Easy access to drugs didn't help this creep either. The REAL people to blame here.. is the Mommy & Daddy of this little monster. WHERE the heck were they all this time, that he was exhibiting disturbed behavior?? WHY did they not do something about it????? WHY was he not in a psych ward?? If they DID,, then we have yet to hear about it..... I'm still waiting......!!!

That is an intersting point. This guy has clearly been nuts for some time. I wonder if his family tried to get him help?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
It's not that easy to get into a psych ward. One has to be a DTS or DTO or voluntary admit. Even then, one can only be held for so long in certain cases. Or, you can be court ordered and held indefinitely and injected with psychotropics if you refuse to swallow them. Each case is different. Since this guy had no serious prior offenses, he had no reason to be in the psych ward per the courts.

Even if one has insurance, psych wards can be very expensive. Some don't want that on their record.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
How do you prove this?
Psych evals.

Quote:
That isn't an AK47.
I posted the first link I found. Does it matter?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
It's not that easy to get into a psych ward. One has to be a DTS or DTO or voluntary admit. Even then, one can only be held for so long in certain cases.

Even if one has insurance, psych wards can be very expensive. Some don't want that on their record.
Which one is it,being protected from those with mental illnesses or protecting their rights to not be stigmatised?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies