Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 06:52 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
The rhetoric will likely not be quieted until blood is shed. To man, the sight of blood is the greatest of teaching tools. Even God knew that.

Just my observation. I hope I'm wrong.
Blood has been shed.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:55 PM

220 posts, read 411,911 times
SB 1070 in its first iteration targeted Americans of Hispanic descent. Anyone that gave the suspicion of being an illegal was free game for the police to stop and interrogate. "Legal contact" involved any and all situations where police came into contact with citizens. Fortunately, the law was modified... then the Courts ruled correctly that the law was unconstitutional.

So, in my opinion, SB 1070 was a law based on bigoted assumptions on what an illegal looked like. Does that make Arizona a "Mecca for Bigotry"? As a former resident of Tucson I can say that Sherrif Dubnik is speaking his mind as he has a right to do. And, he's telling the hard to accept truth about the political climate in Arizona.

Arizona is a very scary place right now. Even Republicans like John McCain are the target of extreme hatred by a large group of people in Arizona.

Take the words of Sherrif Dupnik and begin to tone down the rhetoric. Don't let the extremist control the dialog.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:18 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAinAZ View Post
I think it is appalling that he used this horendous event to try to score political points. He was aware that his comments would be carried worldwide, and he used the opportunity to try to further his political views. And all this before he had a clue as to why this nut job idiot did what he did.
I agree the Sheriff's remarks were out of line. But I don't think he was "scoring political points". It sounded to me like he was expressing his genuine heart-felt disgust for the state of politics in Arizona.

But I agree that, whatever his personal feelings, he should have kept them to himself under the circumstances. It was unprofessional. His job was to make sure a proper investigation was underway, not give vent to his feelings.

It is also true, by all evidence, that the shooter is a "nut job". But that doesn't mean his actions occurred in a vacuum. That young man was politically active, however spastically. He was able to walk into a store and buy a gun with an extended magazine, and he planned and carried out an attempted assasination of a US Congressperson whose district was marked by gunsight cross-hairs on a map on Sarah Palin's website.

There are political and socialogical implications to this tragedy that are national, not just confined to Arizona.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:18 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Again, he offered his thoughts which are dead on, oh one who resides in CHICAGO. I wish you people who don't live here would cut this guy some slack. This isn't other places. This is HERE.

And he is RIGHT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Sanrene, This guy's so partisan I am surprised he is not on the news as much as Sheriff Arpaio. His rhetoric is right out of the leftists playbook.

Anyone who thinks sheriffs can't be partisan is naive and has never known one personally.
sheriff dupnik has become a partisan political hack these days, which is sad because at one time he was an excellent sheriff. he was one of the few democrats that i voted for on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I'm not digging through every right-wing rabble-rousing site on the web. Just produce the quotes. Shouldn't be hard.
those are fairly short articles.

Quote:
At what point in time have I even tangentially mentioned anything that had to do with Brewer?
as i recall i was making my comment to misty, not you. if i made a mistake, my apologies.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:27 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
I don't live in Tucson, but I live in Gabby giffords District. i agree with the Sheriff inasmuch as almost a quarter of our population listens to this hate almost every waking moment and deliberately exclude any news that does not agree with the agenda they are being fed. The result is bobble heads incapable of independent thought.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:33 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
He's a partisan democrat hack using a tragedy to push a political agenda. No I'm not from there, but it didn't take much to see what he is.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:42 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,091,500 times
He disgraced the very state that pays him a wage. Recall!

Old 01-09-2011, 07:55 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Default ...and so it begins (McCarthy proposes new gun control legislation)

It will fizzle out like a Pelosi fart in the Obama wind of change, but still it's pretty sad and sickening that a lawmaker would try to leverage this event for more laws.

Carolyn McCarthy readies gun control bill - Shira Toeplitz - POLITICO.com

Old 01-09-2011, 07:56 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,678 times
Sad yes, unexpected no.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:00 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Ugh, how transparently political.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies