Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who gave a better speech today?
Obama 84 68.29%
Palin 25 20.33%
I didn't like either 14 11.38%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:52 PM

79 posts, read 114,061 times

Advertisements

The t-shirts were provided by the University, said the CNN anchor who was there and was given one at the door. The University also provided the service program which had the same words inscribed on it.

You must have not watched the memorial, Sanrene, because it was obvious that the families had all different reactions. Some cried while they clapped, and smiled in agreement through their tears. Some, like Gabriel Gifford's husband, were undemonstrative, but obviously were touched by the words spoken by all who were there to honor the victims.

I thought the young aid who helped at the scene and who spoke before the President, spoke very heartfelt words, and was also well received. I was surprised that John McCain wasn't there. I was surprised that Janet Reno, Homeland Security and from Tucson, seemed to get a louder cheer from the audience than the Governor of Arizona.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:52 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
yeah that's kind of the way I read it too, but I know that sometimes when you're hell bent on proving that everything someone says is a lie you tend to see the words differently. Maybe negativity affects your vision. Maybe the words float. They all float down here, Georgie.
Yep, here you go;

Giffords survives the night; can open eyes « The Sonoran Chronicle

Quote:
Giffords can open her eyes, but because she is on a ventilator she can’t speak, said Rhee.
January 9th.

Obama LIED. What kind of crap is he pulling? He arrives, touches her with his Oneness and behold! Her eyes open for the first time to gaze upon the savior.

This is the kind of crap Kerry would pull, embellishing and exaggerating to pump yourself up.

Why make up such a story?

He'll get a bump in the polls...on the backs of the victims....thanks to this pep rally/campaign event.

God, is nothing real with this people? Just imagery and fake optics.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Leave it to obama's minions to turn what should be a somber, sad moment in time into a pep rally for obama. Really low class.
Leave it to the Rabid Right to mischaracterize and critcize a community who has come together in the face of a great tragedy. A community who was expressing their gratitude at the actions of heroes who risked their own safety in order to aid others in danger and for the healing words of the President of the United States.

The Right is distasteful enough to find fault at this most inappropriate time all for the sake of a leader that doesn't have an (R) following his name.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazl View Post
I was surprised that Janet Reno, Homeland Security and from Tucson, seemed to get a louder cheer from the audience than the Governor of Arizona.
Were you? The Governor of Arizona is a republican.

Not surprising at all really.

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Let me start by saying I'm no Obama supporter. Didn't and won't vote for him. That being said I've got to give credit where credit is due, his speech was pretty darned good!

All speechifying aside the question I have is this; I constantly hear from the left about separation of church and state whenever any kind of religious words or actions happen anywhere near a school or public building (but especially schools) so that being the case how did all these prayers,sermons and blessings take place on a public owned college campus?
Protests and ACLU action are sure to follow if there's a prayer before a sporting event and god forbid if students try anything at graduation!

Not trying to start a fight just trying to understand the difference between all other times and what happened tonight...

Yes yes yes, it sounded like we are a very Christian Nation BUT liberals look the other way if another libbie does it, just like they looked the other way at all the hate speech from the left since these murders. Also I don't know how many times I have seen the left say if hussein obama or others in their camp mention God that they don't really mean it, they are just saying it for political points. All it is, is your run of the mill left winger hypocrisy.

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Back to hopenchange, are we? Obama's gonna give them that hope? HOW?

It was tacky and classless. Now, IF the families were reacting in the same fashion, different story. The cheering was for The One.
Yup, repugs want people to feel hopeless and they sure hate change....

Old 01-12-2011, 08:55 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post

What you are describing sounds like a wake. There are different ways to behave depending upon the circumstances. Grandmother lived to the ripe old age of 90 and would have wanted us to celebrate her life at her memorial service? Sure. Be happy. Some levity would be fine in that instance. This was a memorial for MURDER VICTIMS, including the murder of a child. The situation dictates different behavior.

You are emblematic of a generation that has not been taught.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post

Perhaps that it is what this boils down to - manners. Where I grew up, manners and etiquette were considered part and parcel of polite society. In addition, I was taught that manners were not so you would feel comfortable but so those around you would feel comfortable and at ease.

I believe in these lessons and pass them down to my daughter who, by the way, was watching this with me and felt the same way. She was equally taken aback and thought it wasn't appropriate to shout and yell at a memorial service. Per my young daughter, she said it sounded like the people there were at a Justin Beiber concert. Consider she is young and thus the Justin Beiber context.
Oh for heaven's sake. I'm no spring chicken, I know all about "manners". I grew up in an era when it was considered impolite to put your elbows on the dinner table, if that gives you a point of reference.

There wasn't anything mannerless or inappropriate about the tone or tenor of this memorial. It's especially galling to read criticism of it from someone who didn't even watch it first-hand.

Our President asked us to give one another the benefit of the doubt. Why on earth can't you do something as simple and kind as that? Give those who were in attendance the benefit of the doubt that they understood the mood in the room and what responses were warranted more than you could, half a world away.

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazl View Post
The t-shirts were provided by the University, said the CNN anchor who was there and was given one at the door. The University also provided the service program which had the same words inscribed on it.

You must have not watched the memorial, Sanrene, because it was obvious that the families had all different reactions. Some cried while they clapped, and smiled in agreement through their tears. Some, like Gabriel Gifford's husband, were undemonstrative, but obviously were touched by the words spoken by all who were there to honor the victims.

I thought the young aid who helped at the scene and who spoke before the President, spoke very heartfelt words, and was also well received. I was surprised that John McCain wasn't there. I was surprised that Janet Reno, Homeland Security and from Tucson, seemed to get a louder cheer from the audience than the Governor of Arizona.
I think it was mentioned that McCain was there, just noe sittihg up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Leave it to the Rabid Right to mischaracterize and critcize a community who has come together in the face of a great tragedy. A community who was expressing their gratitude at the actions of heroes who risked their own safety in order to aid others in danger and for the healing words of the President of the United States.

The Right is distasteful enough to find fault at this most inappropriate time all for the sake of a leader that doesn't have an (R) following his name.
No one is criticizing the community at all, or the victims, or the dead.

Just obama and his minions who found a way to make this all about him and turned what should be a respectful, somber event into a pep rally. Very distasteful.

And we need some explanation why obama made up the story about her opening her eyes for the first time in his lofty presence.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:56 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Yep, here you go;

Giffords survives the night; can open eyes « The Sonoran Chronicle

January 9th.

Obama LIED. What kind of crap is he pulling? He arrives, touches her with his Oneness and behold! Her eyes open for the first time to gaze upon the savior.

This is the kind of crap Kerry would pull, embellishing and exaggerating to pump yourself up.

Why make up such a story?

He'll get a bump in the polls...on the backs of the victims....thanks to this pep rally/campaign event.

God, is nothing real with this people? Just imagery and fake optics.
Wow I guess all the other media sources, including the ones right there in Arizona, got it wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies