Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who gave a better speech today?
Obama 84 68.29%
Palin 25 20.33%
I didn't like either 14 11.38%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:19 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,297,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I'm fairly sure that Obama said that it happened after he had already left and that it was in the presence of Gabby's colleagues. Also, that it was her husband that told him about it and allowed him to announce it publicly.
Yes, that is correct.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:20 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,362,824 times
A left-wing President is allowed to invoke religion when it serves his political purposes, just as a politically correct left-wing President is allowed to pursue young women in the White House when it serves his erotic needs, and a left-wing President is allowed to escalate unwinnable wars with no strategic value. None if these things are or would be permitted to a conservative politician or President.

This hypocritical double standard, which characterizes the biased approach of most of the popular media, and much of the tertiary educational establishment, has come to define the progressive approach to contemporary American politics. It is part and parcel of the bitterness which has infected our national psyche, and is reflected in the rise of phenomena like the Tea Party and Sarah Palin.

As a country, we are entering a dark room if we continue to ridicule and demonize those who differ with the perceived wisdom of the coastal elites, and cast aspersions on their intelligence, their virtue, and their common humanity. You can only insult a man so many times, after all, and expect him to resist the temptation to become your enemy.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:20 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,122,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I'm fairly sure that Obama said that it happened after he had already left and that it was in the presence of Gabby's colleagues. Also, that it was her husband that told him about it and allowed him to announce it publicly.
It WAS her husband that told the President to announce it. So I guess the haters think that her husband is lying about his beloved wife just to give the President something to say????????????????????????

Old 01-12-2011, 09:21 PM

27,627 posts, read 21,162,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I thought it was an unusual service, but interesting. Yes, there were just a bit too many ooo's and ahh's for Obama
and he did seem a little irritated by it. His speech was excellent. My favorite part of the speech was:

"In Christina, we see all of our children.

Christina was given to us on September 11th, 2001, one of 50 babies born that day to be pictured in a book called “Faces of Hope.” On either side of her photo in that book were simple wishes for a child’s life. “I hope you help those in need,” read one. “I hope you know all of the words to the National Anthem and sing it with your hand over your heart. I hope you jump in rain puddles.

If there are rain puddles in heaven, Christina is jumping in them today. And here on this Earth, we place our hands over our hearts, and commit ourselves as Americans to forging a country that is forever worthy of her gentle, happy spirit"

The one that impressed me the most was Michelle Obama even though she never spoke. Her warmth and caring can just be felt through a TV screen. She is an extraordinary woman.
I agree. This brought tears to my eyes. I cannot stop thinking about this little girl. And yes, The First Lady is a class act.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:22 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,044,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I wasn't talking to you. I tried to multi-quote but I'm on my phone and this thing doesn't always cooperate. Sorry about that.

This is the only part I was directing at you.
Understand. Multi-quote can be a pain.

I did recall that I either read it or heard it when I saw one of the press conferences by the doctors. Thus, I would imagine saying "all" would be a stretch. I looked for a source that specifically quoted the doctor, but I am sure there are many others.

I am not looking to pin Obama on this one but I did agree there was an inconsistency there.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:23 PM

27,627 posts, read 21,162,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
It WAS her husband that told the President to announce it. So I guess the haters think that her husband is lying about his beloved wife just to give the President something to say????????????????????????
I guess so.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:23 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,707,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
A left-wing President is allowed to invoke religion when it serves his political purposes, just as a politically correct left-wing President is allowed to pursue young women in the White House when it serves his erotic needs, and a left-wing President is allowed to escalate unwinnable wars with no strategic value. None if these things are or would be permitted to a conservative politician or President.

This hypocritical double standard, which characterizes the biased approach of most of the popular media, and much of the tertiary educational establishment, has come to define the progressive approach to contemporary American politics. It is part and parcel of the bitterness which has infected our national psyche, and is reflected in the rise of phenomena like the Tea Party and Sarah Palin.

As a country, we are entering a dark room if we continue to ridicule and demonize those who differ with the perceived wisdom of the coastal elites, and cast aspersions on their intelligence, their virtue, and their common humanity. You can only insult a man so many times, after all, and expect him to resist the temptation to become your enemy.
Man. What an overreaction. Sounds like paranoia and irrational emotions are driving your opinion.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:24 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,891,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
yeah that's kind of the way I read it too, but I know that sometimes when you're hell bent on proving that everything someone says is a lie you tend to see the words differently. Maybe negativity affects your vision. Maybe the words float. They all float down here, Georgie.

I appreciate the link but responding to it is quite different from doing it. If someone asks me can I move my legs and I say "no"; I've responded but it doesn't mean I'm moving my legs.

Oh dear. I'm an ex Trauma ICU nurse. When someone "responds" to a command, that means THEY DID WHAT WAS ASKED.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:25 PM

921 posts, read 1,133,403 times
Today, Obama showed leadership during this time of tragedy for us, whereas Palin played the victim game & tried to divide us even more.
Like Obama said, it's time for us to fulfill that little 9 year old victim's wish & start coming together to see how we can help better our nation.
Presidency is about unity, not about blame & stupidity, which was what Palin's speech was based on!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,362,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Man. What an overreaction. Sounds like paranoia and irrational emotions are driving your opinion.
Quite the contrary. Living here, 5000 miles from America, I can sense the deepening divisions, and more than anything I feel sorrow for our country.

Commentary » Blog Archive » The Backlash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies