Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who gave a better speech today?
Obama 84 68.29%
Palin 25 20.33%
I didn't like either 14 11.38%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:10 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,397,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I am not so concerned about what Obama said, but just a point here. The second source I found was from Tucson. Perhaps there is some salient detail that is missing in this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Uh huh. Figured that. Should be easy enough to confirm or deny.

Yeah more than likely it was just bad reporting. The other news sources are ALL saying she is responding to the questions; maybe they interpreted that as she was actually doing it. It's an online nonprofit newspaper; maybe they don't fact check as thoroughly as they should. And how can you say you're not concerned with it, when you're the one that brought it up so you could call him a liar?

When he said that my first thought was "Oh she opened her eyes; how wonderful. That's great news." I guess yours was "Obama is LYING! Let me spend 10 minutes looking online for two vague sources who will prove it because out of all the things that were said tonight THAT is the only thing that matters!"

Oh you know what MAYBE you're right! MAYBE her eyes were open on the 9th but all the other radio stations, news papers, media outlets decided to keep it a secret so Obama could announce that she didn't open her eyes until he came in her room and turned her jello pudding cup into enough food to feed the entire hospital!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:11 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,122,540 times
Quote:
No one is criticizing the community at all, or the victims, or the dead.

Just obama and his minions who found a way to make this all about him and turned what should be a respectful, somber event into a pep rally. Very distasteful.

And we need some explanation why obama made up the story about her opening her eyes for the first time in his lofty presence.
What a distortion. What lies. When every word spoken was about the victims and the survivors to say otherwise is simply a bald faced lie.

As for the "opening her eyes for the first time"...there are two simple choices; 1. Your source....which is different from all others.....is wrong and tonight WAS the first time she opened her eyes. I tend to believe this to be the answer since her husband was sitting right there and HE WAS THE ONE WHO TOLD THE PRESIDENT TO ANNOUNCE IT.

2. The people who were there when it happened told the president that it was the first time.

See, two very simple, very honest choices. So of course the haters will not believe them.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:13 PM

1,179 posts, read 977,206 times
Default Obama's speech showed why he is the President, and Palin's...

Obama spoke to a unified country this evening with compassion, strength, and sincerity. Laying aside political ideology to remind us that we are all Americans first and that we must move forward from this tragedy together. A powerful narrative that rallied Tuscon and America to it's feet with a positive message born from the aftermath of a national disaster. Tonight President Obama showed why he was voted the President of the United States. I applaud him for this speech, and I applaud the Obama's for their leadership.

Palin on the other hand, provided a video in which she took the opportunity once again to be the victim. Her response to this senseless tragedy? A narcissistic, grandiose, and nails on the chalk board speech. While I think it would have been better if she stayed silent, she could have taken this opportunity to reach out and show America a different side. Instead viewers got more of the same: A self consumed pity party who could think of nothing but herself.

Her speech has been highly criticized from both the left and the right, and I think she simply talked herself out of any chance for ever being the front runner for the Republican party in 2012. She blew it tonight, big time.

In the end, tonight we saw why Obama is our President, why Palin is not, and most importantly why she never will be.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:14 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,044,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Yeah more than likely it was just bad reporting. The other news sources are ALL saying she is responding to the questions; maybe they interpreted that as she was actually doing it. It's an online nonprofit newspaper; maybe they don't fact check as thoroughly as they should. And how can you say you're not concerned with it, when you're the one that brought it up so you could call him a liar?

When he said that my first thought was "Oh she opened her eyes; how wonderful. That's great news." I guess yours was "Obama is LYING! Let me spend 10 minutes looking online for two vague sources who will prove it because out of all the things that were said tonight THAT is the only thing that matters!"

Oh you know what MAYBE
Actually I did not say Obama lied; believe that was another. I did, however, recall the doctors saying in one of the press conferences about her opening her eyes. That's why I went back to find the doctor's actual quotes. Just struck me that there was a contradiction.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:14 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,306,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It wasn't a bad service, I thought I made that pretty clear. I also thought I made pretty clear that it was just something I wondered about given the the closeness to the holidays and the usual uproar about religious things on public property.
Just wondering why tonight was any different?
It was a technically private event on public property. I'm sure the organizers rented it, just like they would had it been in a convention center or a professional sports stadium.

It had nothing to do with the university or the state. There is no church/state issue.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,008,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post

No, because I had READ it a few days ago that she opened her eyes. So when he said that, I went, WTH, why is he lying, so he can puff himself up, so the people would know his presence was so powerful that she opened her eyes just for him? Somebody's lying and I don't think it's the doctor in the article.

Oh you know what MAYBE you're right! MAYBE her eyes were open on the 9th but all the other radio stations, news papers, media outlets decided to keep it a secret so Obama could announce that she didn't open her eyes until he came in her room and turned her jello pudding cup into enough food to feed the entire hospital!
What sources? List them..excluding any from today and obama's comment.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:17 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,163,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
What a distortion. What lies. When every word spoken was about the victims and the survivors to say otherwise is simply a bald faced lie.

As for the "opening her eyes for the first time"...there are two simple choices; 1. Your source....which is different from all others.....is wrong and tonight WAS the first time she opened her eyes. I tend to believe this to be the answer since her husband was sitting right there and HE WAS THE ONE WHO TOLD THE PRESIDENT TO ANNOUNCE IT.

2. The people who were there when it happened told the president that it was the first time.

See, two very simple, very honest choices. So of course the haters will not believe them.
I'm fairly sure that Obama said that it happened after he had already left and that it was in the presence of Gabby's colleagues. Also, that it was her husband that told him about it and allowed him to announce it publicly.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:17 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,032,626 times
I thought it was an unusual service, but interesting. Yes, there were just a bit too many ooo's and ahh's for Obama
and he did seem a little irritated by it. His speech was excellent. My favorite part of the speech was:

"In Christina, we see all of our children.

Christina was given to us on September 11th, 2001, one of 50 babies born that day to be pictured in a book called “Faces of Hope.” On either side of her photo in that book were simple wishes for a child’s life. “I hope you help those in need,” read one. “I hope you know all of the words to the National Anthem and sing it with your hand over your heart. I hope you jump in rain puddles.

If there are rain puddles in heaven, Christina is jumping in them today. And here on this Earth, we place our hands over our hearts, and commit ourselves as Americans to forging a country that is forever worthy of her gentle, happy spirit"

The one that impressed me the most was Michelle Obama even though she never spoke. Her warmth and caring can just be felt through a TV screen. She is an extraordinary woman.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:18 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,397,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Actually I did not say Obama lied; believe that was another. I did, however, recall the doctors saying in one of the press conferences about her opening her eyes. That's why I went back to find the doctor's actual quotes. Just struck me that there was a contradiction.
I wasn't talking to you. I tried to multi-quote but I'm on my phone and this thing doesn't always cooperate. Sorry about that.

This is the only part I was directing at you.
Quote:
Yeah more than likely it was just bad reporting. The other news sources are ALL saying she is responding to the questions; maybe they interpreted that as she was actually doing it. It's an online nonprofit newspaper; maybe they don't fact check as thoroughly as they should.
Quote:
What sources? List them..excluding any from today and obama's comment.
Well some have already been posted; are you not reading the thread? But I would say the most reliable source would probably be her spouse...unless you think he's part of the cover up too?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:19 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,044,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I'm fairly sure that Obama said that it happened after he had already left and that it was in the presence of Gabby's colleagues. Also, that it was her husband that told him about it and allowed him to announce it publicly.
That would explain it, easy enough. That would account for the inconsistency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies