Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 03:03 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Advertisements

Jeb Bush is incredibly stupid to say that GOP is ignoring hispanics. It is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 03:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
African Americans can't be considered as family-friendly, you know that right ? Single mothers aren't very rare for them...And it's very bad for the children.
Single motherhood is the norm in the African American community. But that's not the question. The question is about being family oriented. Being a single mom doesn't mean that one isn't family oriented. Having 2 parents doesn't mean that you ARE family oriented.

Obviously, living in a nuclear family is technically BETTER for children, and studies bear this out. But that's not what i'm talking about.

Hispanics have the highest dropout rate in the country. In fact, hispanic girls have the highest dropout rate of all groups. So even if they're living in homes with 2 parents, being "family oriented" must not be working out too well for many of them, is it? Hispanics are no more family oriented than any other race when looked at objectively.

African Americans, even with our self-perpetuating pathologies, ARE family oriented. VERY family oriented. You're not in the community, so you don't know. Don't get it twisted.

No race or ethnic group is more family oriented than another. This nonsense is just a case of people saying things so often that everyone starts to believe it. Lots of Hispanics just roll their eyes when they hear this "family oriented" nonsense, and i used to wonder why. Well, after asking, i found out that it comes off as patronizing, stupid, and a bit condescending.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
And in which century do you expect this apocalyptic decade to take place?
1500s, 1600s, etc.

When the Spanish had their way with most of Latin America (before it was called Latin America).

[time machine]

Old 01-20-2011, 07:39 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
African Americans can't be considered as family-friendly, you know that right ? Single mothers aren't very rare for them...And it's very bad for the children.
This has to be the most ignorant and wreckless statement i have ever seen by a non black.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Single motherhood is the norm in the African American community. But that's not the question. The question is about being family oriented. Being a single mom doesn't mean that one isn't family oriented. Having 2 parents doesn't mean that you ARE family oriented.

Obviously, living in a nuclear family is technically BETTER for children, and studies bear this out. But that's not what i'm talking about.

Hispanics have the highest dropout rate in the country. In fact, hispanic girls have the highest dropout rate of all groups. So even if they're living in homes with 2 parents, being "family oriented" must not be working out too well for many of them, is it? Hispanics are no more family oriented than any other race when looked at objectively.

African Americans, even with our self-perpetuating pathologies, ARE family oriented. VERY family oriented. You're not in the community, so you don't know. Don't get it twisted.

No race or ethnic group is more family oriented than another. This nonsense is just a case of people saying things so often that everyone starts to believe it. Lots of Hispanics just roll their eyes when they hear this "family oriented" nonsense, and i used to wonder why. Well, after asking, i found out that it comes off as patronizing, stupid, and a bit condescending.
Desert the comment by that poster was extremely ignorant and boardered on racists and did not deserve an explaination. I commend you though.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – Republicans would be “incredibly stupid” to ignore the fastest-growing population of voters, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush told a conference of Hispanic Republicans Friday, particularly if they hope to recapture the White House.
But missing from the opening speeches of the two-day gathering was any direct mention of immigration, the issue that has long stymied Republicans from making lasting gains with Hispanics.

Jeb Bush: GOP 'incredibly stupid' to ignore Hispanics - Carrie Budoff Brown - POLITICO.com

If all republicans could understand that, like Jeb...They make progress (2 hispanic governors it's not bad ! ) but it's not enough.
They don't have a choice where they'll see the Democratic Party Decade.
Actually there's 3 Hispanic Republican governors. One of them is in Puerto Rico . The GOP should run more Republicans from Puerto Rico, that will definitely help garner the Hispanic vote. Look at how it worked in Rubio's favor. PLus Luis Fortuño is basically the Puerto Rican version of Chris Christie.

Quote:
New Mexico is very interesting because Hispanics there are very americanized.They are 44% of this state and GOP won (Susana Martinez governor), so maybe Americanized Hispanics are different of the more recent hispanics.
It's not entirely true. Not all Hispanics are the same. We are not one single group. You have Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, and Cubans that make up the largest groups of the Hispanic population here. The recent arrivals here tend to vote more Republican actually, with the middle generation voting Democrat, and in the case of the Mexican-Americans, long established groups are split between Democrat and GOP. I'd be considered a recent migrant from Puerto Rico as I am the first generation that has lived in the states in my family. Most of my "generation" of migrants tend to be very conservative socially, but fiscally moderate. So it depends. For the most part, I'd say us Hispanics are socially conservative, but fiscally liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies