Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is sexual preferance a choice?
Yes 47 18.58%
No 193 76.28%
Not sure 11 4.35%
Yes 2 0.79%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 03:16 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times

Advertisements

Calvinist is a closet gay methinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 03:20 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
I do not know if sexual preference or proclivity is a choice, but I do know that ACTING upon it IS a choice.

BTW i voted, "Not Sure"

Old 01-19-2011, 03:20 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I'm not sure Christians should be judging homosexuality as a mental illness considering they are not trained psychologists or psychiatrists. And trained psychologists and psychiatrists aren't even real doctors: they are people who practice pseudo-science: it's about as good as horoscope readings.

Christianity on the other hand is about saving your spirit from frying in the pits of hell. And making the pastor or priest rich as hell.

So when the APA dropped homosexuality as a disorder from DSM II in 1974, was that decision based primarily on new science or protests by gay activists beginning in 1970?

Were these trained psychiatrists completely wrong until gay protesters made them understand the science they had misunderstood all those years?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:26 PM

499 posts, read 405,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So when the APA dropped homosexuality as a disorder from DSM II in 1974, was that decision based primarily on new science or protests by gay activists beginning in 1970?

Were these trained psychiatrists completely wrong until gay protesters made them understand the science they had misunderstood all those years?
Yes.

Obviously society was ready at that time, but the APA had to have based their decision on science.

Last edited by Dollymixture; 01-19-2011 at 03:36 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 03:30 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Isn't "preference" a choice?

I prefer to eat broccoli, but not asparagus.

There. I have a preference and have made a choice.
But if you prefer women do you really believe you could ever choose men?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:30 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I'm not sure Christians should be judging homosexuality as a mental illness considering they are not trained psychologists or psychiatrists. And trained psychologists and psychiatrists aren't even real doctors: they are people who practice pseudo-science: it's about as good as horoscope readings.

Christianity on the other hand is about saving your spirit from frying in the pits of hell. And making the pastor or priest rich as hell.
Psychiatrists are medical doctors with the same degree that a brain surgeon has. Their internship will in psychiatry instead of surgery.

After internship, they fulfill their requirements for "residency" which is generally more rigorous I think.

Thats how I remember it anyway.

Christianity has relationships to psychology. A typical pastor does a LOT of counseling. Faith helps a LOT of people overcome adversity, it works better than alcohol or drugs. Religion, on the other hand, has enabled countless atrocities.

People don't just go to church because of XYZ....they go because faith makes them happy.

As for me, I'm more interested in the person than in their faith. "life is like a box of chocolates.........."

Old 01-19-2011, 03:32 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Choice? For some it is I have a niece who said she was lesbian along with all her friends four years later they are all married with children and say it was a fad.
I would have to say for some it must not be a choice due to I just can't fathom some guy wanting to pick sex with a guy over a woman that just makes no sense at all but then nobody chooses to have a mental disorder.

Did I choose? Nope I did not. I guess I could have if I had felt like it, nobody forced me to be straight it's just a natural thing.

I'm sure I'll hear the APA says it's ok and all that but they also say it's ok to drug our children if their mind wanders and put everybody who gets depressed in zombie land so i take anything they say lightly. I've heard about the black birds stealing eggs and the homosexual gutworm but we are not worms or birds and that doesn't make it natural.

This is just my opinion and you are free to have your own, it doesn't mean I dislike Homosexual people it just means i have a different opinion when it comes to the theory of it being natural compaired to being a mental disorder.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:35 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But if you prefer women do you really believe you could ever choose men?
I prefer broccoli.

If all I had to eat was asparagus, and I was starving, then I'd eat asparagus.

So.....the answer to your question is no.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:38 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I prefer broccoli.

If all I had to eat was asparagus, and I was starving, then I'd eat asparagus.

So.....the answer to your question is no.
You're contradicting self with that argument. If you prefer something (for example broccoli), you are talking in relation to something else (asparagus). A vegan, for example, won't "prefer" vegetables. Meat is not a choice. The choice to a vegan would be from a variety of vegetables, one of which he/she may "prefer" over another.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:42 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I don't think it's a valid question. I don't much care whom you are attracted to, it doesn't excuse the behavior any more than a craving for alcohol excuses the alcoholic.
And you know that how? As for the validity of the question, you participated in it, and you said yes, claiming people choose to be gays or straight. At some point, you must have arrived at that fork and chose one over the other. I never did, so I don't see it as a choice.

Choice requires options from which people pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies