Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 09:26 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,981,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
This thread is a very good illustration of the psyche of the left. The left is the LOUDEST and most VOCIFEROUS voices by far, screaming hate and bigotry at those who don't believe in their politics. Yet we have many of them on this thread praising and defending one of, if not the, most hateful ,despicable, intolerant human beings in the media today. It is a perfect example of the hypocrisy..........do they really care about hate and bigotry ? Some of us have known all along that is not the case.
From reading this thread I think its the other way around, so much hate in this thread and its not coming from the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 09:27 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I don't think you got my point. If he were indeed so invaluable, they would have sought to keep him. While he was rated the highest on MSNBC, he was not rated very high against the other networks. His value was clearly not high enough for the network to fight to keep him. Perhaps they would like to put in some new people that could actually compete against Fox? Remember, these networks are interested in the market share for that time slot; not if you are the highest rated among the worst overall.
Olbermann's show was the HIGHEST RATED ON MSNBC. If they wanted to compete with the likes of Fox, et al., why not just fire everybody and start over? It certainly seems that politics played a big role in MSNBC/Comcast's decision......it wasn't a straightforward business deal. All of the other show hosts are still there, so it is apparant that the decision was more than about "ratings."

Old 01-23-2011, 09:28 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Olbermann's show was the HIGHEST RATED ON MSNBC. If they wanted to compete with the likes of Fox, et al., why not just fire everybody and start over? It certainly seems that politics played a big role in MSNBC/Comcast's decision......it wasn't a straightforward business deal. All of the other show hosts are still there, so it is apparant that the decision was more than about "ratings."
Don't be surprised if that does indeed happen. I predict it will as they will want this to be a money making venture. They want the ad buys and the ad buys go hand in hand with ratings.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:31 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I don't think you got my point. If he were indeed so invaluable, they would have sought to keep him. While he was rated the highest on MSNBC, he was not rated very high against the other networks. His value was clearly not high enough for the network to fight to keep him. Perhaps they would like to put in some new people that could actually compete against Fox? Remember, these networks are interested in the market share for that time slot; not if you are the highest rated among the worst overall.
It's the same reason why sports teams trade their high ranking players, the new owners may feel they can hire someone else to get the same performance, for less of a cost, or they simply don't get along with eachother. What's interesting to see is Cenk from the young turks will be getting a show "temporarily" I bet they are going to see what his ratings pull in, then possibly offer him a job. I'm sure he will work for a fraction of the cost of Olbermann and for many people, including myself, Cenk and TYT are the one of the, if not the best journalists out there today.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
As true as that is it does not mean he was making the company enough money to not sell to Comcast.

Every business has a top dog, even if the business is failing.
I agree. Which goes to my position that Comcast played a big role in firing Olbermann........and it was NOT just a business decision related to improving ratings. I think Comcast wants to try to turn the station to the RIGHT, and not just a small turn either.

You will remember that MSNBC itself gave Olbermann credit for TURNING AROUND their low-third states as a cable news channel!

Old 01-23-2011, 09:32 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,192,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
From reading this thread I think its the other way around, so much hate in this thread and its not coming from the left.
I agree but have you read any of the Palin threads?

Old 01-23-2011, 09:35 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,192,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
I agree. Which goes to my position that Comcast played a big role in firing Olbermann........and it was NOT just a business decision related to improving ratings. I think Comcast wants to try to turn the station to the RIGHT, and not just a small turn either.

You will remember that MSNBC itself gave Olbermann credit for TURNING AROUND their low-third states as a cable news channel!
I don't think businessmen, buy successful businesses, just so they can change them to maybe be successful as something else.

Also, why sell if they were making money.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
I don't think businessmen, buy successful businesses, just so they can change them to maybe be successful as something else.

Also, why sell if they were making money.
And you have every right to think that. I just disagree.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:39 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It's the same reason why sports teams trade their high ranking players, the new owners may feel they can hire someone else to get the same performance, for less of a cost, or they simply don't get along with eachother. What's interesting to see is Cenk from the young turks will be getting a show "temporarily" I bet they are going to see what his ratings pull in, then possibly offer him a job. I'm sure he will work for a fraction of the cost of Olbermann and for many people, including myself, Cenk and TYT are the one of the, if not the best journalists out there today.
That is great news. Cenk is level-headed, intelligent, and well spoken. Unfortunately for conservatives, he calls out alot of Republican hypocrisy, so they will start labeling him as part of the "establishment". Nonetheless, he was my first choice to get a slot in at MSNBC.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
You do a great moonwalk!

And why bring Mack trucks up? I used to drive one and currently work on them. They don't run over people.
As for "moonwalking"........here's a link to the exchange between Olbermann and Tim Russert I was talking about. So I really can't take any credit for "moonwalking".......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lklfIPBK4Zg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies