Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:59 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,892,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Blacks are sometimes judgmental towards darker skinned blacks. But they do not obtain the amount of power that whites have when discriminating against people of any color.
Good afternoon,

What power does a white person, or any person of any race or "color" have over me? We no longer live in the slavery or Jim Crow era, and the majority of those horrible policies were carried out in the South, not the entire country. I do realize there were issues in the North too, but there were real chances of freedom for Blacks outside the South for a long time in America. Today, if one has power over another, it's because the weaker person allows it. Also, why are Asians and Indians doing so well, even better than whites in average income, education, and other ways if whites have this great "power" and are using it to discriminate against people of any color? Shouldn't they want to use this power to hold down this "threat"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 05:21 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,230,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Could you give an example to make your point? How do you know the person/group you're describing is progressive/liberal? Or, is it an assumption that everybody is a progressive if they live in a progressive city?

I wouldn't consider a person a Christian if they simply talked about it, goes to church regularly, or lived in a city that is deemed religious.
I was talking about people who may be, or support, gays and lesbians, animal rights, environmental issues, and left of center polititians.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good afternoon,

What power does a white person, or any person of any race or "color" have over me? We no longer live in the slavery or Jim Crow era, and the majority of those horrible policies were carried out in the South, not the entire country. I do realize there were issues in the North too, but there were real chances of freedom for Blacks outside the South for a long time in America. Today, if one has power over another, it's because the weaker person allows it. Also, why are Asians and Indians doing so well, even better than whites in average income, education, and other ways if whites have this great "power" and are using it to discriminate against people of any color? Shouldn't they want to use this power to hold down this "threat"?
Whites still hold the most power, privilege, and economic weight in society. Minorities still face discrimination on the job, in housing choices, etc. So yes, affluent, powerful whites, still have the power to oppress minorities, if they so choose.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:30 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,996,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
This thread is about folks, that have experienced racism in so-called progressive cities. I'm talking about racism from the so-called white 'liberals', who claim to be non-racist, but still don't want to work with, or live near black and brown people.
So sorry Cindy Jole this thread is only for the demonizing of white people. We need only reinforce the victimhood mentality of pure minorities.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,691,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I lived in Austin, Texas for one year. It was purported as the most liberal city in Texas. I cannot tell you how racist, bigoted, and backwater it was. It was incredibly redneck. I met horrible people everywhere I went: the uncommunicative attitudes, mimicking, sarcasm, control, arguments, suspicion, anger, and petty harassment occurred almost everywhere I went. Horrible city. Horrible people. It was like the movie Deliverance but way bigger in scope. Of course, when I complained I was blamed for everything and chided.

I moved somewhere else and have not experienced such horrible treatment even in the small country hick towns that surround the big city that I reside in. Go figure!
Sad to say artsyguy..none of the big Texas cities are really tolerant.
They are liberal yes, but tolerant..no.

I've been called names in the Austin forum because I try to tell it like it is but the majority there don't want to hear it.

Austin was more fun AND tolerant when I first got here in 1996.
These people here bicker over which side of the highway they live on..west is "better" while east is "trash". And then end their sentence with "everyone is laid back and tolerant".

But there is plenty of Texas the liberals haven't invaded yet. They seem to fear leaving the city limits. Must be all them rednecks

Old 01-28-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I'm white (and more on the liberal side) but I know the phenomenon you're talking about from when I lived in Seattle for 5 years. Some of my progressive acquaintances had quite a few opinions on the neighborhoods I lived in, never coming out and saying "but that's a black neighborhood or a Mexican neighborhood" but certainly implying it. Apparently they thought I should be living in a "less diverse" place all while trumpeting the "wonders of diversity." It always struck me as hypocritical, or at least a lot of theoretical talk that didn't necessarily translate into treating people as people, period. I'm pretty sure none of those folks considered themselves racist, but I often wonder if being extremely PC is racist in a way, too? I know that's not an example of me personally experiencing racism in a progressive city, but I thought it fit in with your point??
Yes, it does dovetail with what I've been saying. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
So sorry Cindy Jole this thread is only for the demonizing of white people. We need only reinforce the victimhood mentality of pure minorities.
This thread is about what many blacks and browns, experience all of the time. It's not our fault, that some whites choose to be racist. Me and many of these posters here, are just sharing our experiences with racism from 'progressive' whites. Talking about this issue, isn't 'demonizing' whites. It's just telling the truth, about the hypocrisy of some 'progressive' whites, with regards to racism.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:47 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,035,888 times
The whites don't really have to be affluent or powerful. They are simply people who could be human resources managers who don't hire browns or blacks. Or teachers who give poor quality teaching to browns or blacks. Or police who press charges on blacks and browns but let whites go without an arrest or prosecution. Or it's the browns or the blacks who are harassed on the job while the whites who are doing the same type of work get off without a snicker. The list goes on and on. It is not just about affluent or powerful whites.

Quote:
Whites still hold the most power, privilege, and economic weight in society. Minorities still face discrimination on the job, in housing choices, etc. So yes, affluent, powerful whites, still have the power to oppress minorities, if they so choose.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:05 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,324,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Many "progressive" cities have hard-drawn lines where various ethnicities live. For how much they call for equality and a colorblind society, progressive whites don't seem very willing to have non-white neighbors.

This page has very interesting maps that break down major cities by ethnic representation. For example, here's NY. It's one of the more extreme examples, but even cities like SF seem to be pretty segregated:

red=white / blue=black / orange=hispanic / green=asian
White people PERIOD seem less willing to have non-White neighbors. It's not a Conservative thing or a Progressive thing. You will find segregated living areas in Orange Country, California and Biloxi, Mississippi just like you will in New York and San Francisco.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:08 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,324,060 times
Quote:
This thread is about folks, that have experienced racism in so-called progressive cities. I'm talking about racism from the so-called white 'liberals', who claim to be non-racist, but still don't want to work with, or live near black and brown people.
The only thing this thread proves is that you can experiences racism in Conservatives as well as Liberal cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies