Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 08:43 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
According to UN piles of double talk the international rules of war don't apply unless is is somebody else against the US.
Try to grasp this simple fact: The UN Convention Against Torture has nothing, zilch, zero to do with the Laws of War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 08:44 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
Who was waterboarded? KSM, sorry if I don't feel any compassion for a man that killed thousands of innocent people and knew information about plans to kill more.

I really don't care what the Swiss think. When a terrorist organization flies planes into buildings in their major cities and kill thousands maybe then I'll take anything they say seriously on this matter.
Whether you, I or anyone else agrees or disagrees is neither here nor there. Torture is illegal under international treaty, a treaty signed and ratified by the US. That could put members of the GwB administration in a very difficult position, especially outside of the USA, if charges were to be brought against them.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:47 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Mommy make the liberals and law followers stop saying mean things about my government's security forces! ...Why is this thread going on so long???? ....Whaaa!

No, I question why (as I stated pretty clearly) it's gone on so long considering that the original article said in black and white that the Swiss government has no intention of prosecuting or even investigating the silly petition handed to them by those moonbats.

The entire premise that Bush is avoiding Switzerland because he's afraid of being prosecuted for torture is fallacious. It was the moonbats wanting to parade their discontent that spurred the cancellation.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:48 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Whether you, I or anyone else agrees or disagrees is neither here nor there. Torture is illegal under international treaty, a treaty signed and ratified by the US. That could put members of the GwB administration in a very difficult position, especially outside of the USA, if charges were to be brought against them.
Innocent lives are worth more than any treaty. Those laws are not put into place to protect people like KSM, it is meant for soldiers in wartime.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Where they trying to get info from terrorists?
Oh, another vote for the terrorist exemption. Can somebody cite it for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I'd love to see the Swiss try to get past Bush's Secret Service detail.
Switzerland's national pastime is rifle shooting. And they're decidedly humorless about breaking rules.

That being said, it was just one Swiss politician petitioning for Bush's arrest. Still, if he's made to feel unwelcome, so much better for the Swiss.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Innocent lives are worth more than any treaty. Those laws are not put into place to protect people like KSM, it is meant for soldiers in wartime.
The law is the law. You don't get to pick and choose who it is applied to.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Who the hell cares? It's illegal to use waterboarding. Period. It's against U.S. law and it's against International law.
You brought it up, I suspect you care. I was merely asking for clarification.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oh, another vote for the terrorist exemption. Can somebody cite it for me?

Switzerland's national pastime is rifle shooting. And they're decidedly humorless about breaking rules.

That being said, it was just one Swiss politician petitioning for Bush's arrest. Still, if he's made to feel unwelcome, so much better for the Swiss.
Having lived in Switzerland and seen the Swiss cops in action ....... well, lets just say that the crime rate is extremely low.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:51 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The law is the law. You don't get to pick and choose who it is applied to.
It isn't applied to terrorists, which is why no country has done anything. Every world leader would have done the same and possibly even worse to terrorists like KSM.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Innocent lives are worth more than any treaty.
Now that's an interesting stance. Should we start torturing kidnapping suspects as well? Suspected murderers?

Quote:
Those laws are not put into place to protect people like KSM, it is meant for soldiers in wartime.
All together now: The UN Convention Against Torture is not, repeat, not, the same as the Geneva Conventions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies