Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 01:36 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Did you read your own links? He ran on a platform to bring the state back to a fiscal sanity. By asking the teachers to help by accepting some belt tightening just as every one else has to do is not unreasonable.

No where that I can find has he endorsed elimination any union. If you have other information pleas share.

"Perhaps the most controversial aspect of Walker's repair bill deals with collective bargaining. The governor wants to remove those rights for most of the 175,000 state and local employees in Wisconsin, allowing workers to negotiate only over salary."

Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions
I am glad you agree. The Unions are agreeing with the need to adjust pay and HC contributions as well as the Gov. However, the Gov saying they will be able to negotiate salary, is not true. Salary and several other things will not be negotiable. Take salary. Capped at COL. The only room for the Union on that, would be to negotiate salary down. Eliminating the Union's ability to honest negotiations, eliminates the Union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 01:36 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Do you understand that the Unions just said they'd take the wage concessions? It's never been about that to begin with. The problem is that the governor wants to strip the right of public employees to form any kind of union at all--just because he doesn't LIKE them. That's why tens of thousands of people are protesting in Wisconsin, and the people are beginning the same fights in other states as similar bills are being proposed. I don't think you've seen anything yet...
Agree. Important to know, however, the teachers have been on TV from day one saying they know and are willing to negotiate benefit concessions. Their problem is and ALWAYS HAS BEEN that Walker wants to remove the ability to bargain on benefits. Just one step down the slippery slope to no bargaining rights at all. Walker said yesterday - he dealt enough with unions when he was County Exec that he is basically fed up with them. He intends to eviscerate the unions. Absolutely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Actually that is a flat out lie. The unions will still exist as will collective bargaining for their salaries. It is the benefits which will be tied to the cost of living index and put before the voters at the ballot box for increase.today?
Got that backwards. He will allow negotiation on salaries up to the CPI. Benefits are no longer negotiable. Keep the facts straight, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
No, the UNIONS said they would accept wage concessions in order to maintain their collective bargaining. The teachers did not. This difference is important to note. The unions don't care about the teachers, they care about their own power and survival. They do not want Wisconsin to become a Right to Work state. They want to continue to extract union dues from the teachers so that the unions can fund political campaigns of their liking. It's all about power and control.
Teachers have been on TV saying they are willing to negotiate benefits. Salaries are not THAT terrific that there should be an issue there. Salaries with benefits are, indeed, better than I ever had. But, nonetheless, I blame private sector greed for that. Public employees are not overpaid when one combines benefits. Private sector employees have been given the shaft all in the name of corporate profits and obscene compensation for their CEOs. I saw it for 30 years. We have ten-15 year stagnation and regression of wages for the workers and high earners have seen a huge increases. $500 million compensation packages. It's disgusting.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:39 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

Teachers have been on TV saying they are willing to negotiate benefits. Salaries are not THAT terrific that there should be an issue there. Salaries with benefits are, indeed, better than I ever had. But, nonetheless, I blame private sector greed for that. Public employees are not overpaid when one combines benefits. Private sector employees have been given the shaft all in the name of corporate profits and obscene compensation for their CEOs. I saw it for 30 years. We have ten-15 year stagnation and regression of wages for the workers and high earners have seen a huge increases. $500 million compensation packages. It's disgusting.
Delusional. The average pay for a WI teacher is $89K plus benefits that put that average over the $100K mark. All for a part time job. Please, explain to the taxpayers who pay them those salaries and benefit packages how that is not excessive.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Delusional. The average pay for a WI teacher is $89K plus benefits that put that average over the $100K mark. All for a part time job. Please, explain to the taxpayers who pay them those salaries and benefit packages how that is not excessive.

The cost of living might be high in WI.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:46 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times
Quote:
Interesting, what is the average pay of a professional baseball player? Basketball player? Football player? Those same tax payers have no problems going out and paying $350 bucks for a ticket, $9 bucks for a hot dog, and $9 bucks for a beer (probably many).

Oh but gee whiz, pay the people who are going to educate THEIR children a good wage? Screw that. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:49 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The cost of living might be high in WI.

89K plus benefits is a lot. I don't think the average teacher salary is that high in CA (where I live), where the cost of living is surely higher than in WI.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:50 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
The avg is about 56k but with bennies, it is close to 100k. They are doing a very valuable job, and a lot of people think they deserve more. But, they are willing to adjust for these times. They are willing to compromise. The politician is not willing to compromise, because his aim is other than budget, pure and simple.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:53 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
UNTRUTH ALERT!
The average Wisconsin teacher salary in 2009-2010 was $52,644
Become a Teacher in Wisconsin | Teacher Education and Certification
Busted
Casper

Old 02-19-2011, 01:55 PM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
He's eliminating their right to bargain on any issue other than salary, and then those negotiations are capped at cost of living based on a formula. That's not collective bargaining. Unions currently negotiate everything from training, health and safety working conditions--you name it. He's trying to do everything but make unions illegal. It's wrong.

Here's a good definition of what collective bargaining is. I'm not a union member (and I've never been one--I'm an employer) but my mother and all my siblings are/were teachers.

Collective bargaining - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The gov. is also doing away with mandatory union dues. There are many people who do not like the idea that they HAVE to pay union dues.

IMO, this is the real reason the union bosses are so concerned. They will lose a lot of money.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:57 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Interesting, what is the average pay of a professional baseball player? Basketball player? Football player? Those same tax payers have no problems going out and paying $350 bucks for a ticket, $9 bucks for a hot dog, and $9 bucks for a beer (probably many).
Who gives a flip what a professional baseball or football player makes. I'm not forced to purchase tickets to go see them play, am I? I don't have to pay their salaries or benefits through my income, sales, or personal property taxes either so I. do. not. care. what. they. make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Oh but gee whiz, pay the people who are going to educate THEIR children a good wage? Screw that. Remember, you get what you pay for.
Not completely true. We have increased the amount of educational dollars by some 300% over the past quarter century (adjusted for inflation), so according to you our educational outcomes should also increase in a proportional level. But, a strange thing happened. Our educational outcomes have flatlined. Are we getting what we're paying for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies