Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 05:13 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times

Advertisements

I really think that people saying measuring in metric is easier, like coalman says, takes him a couple more seconds to use Imperial units, is just a couple more seconds. I still don't see it as the wholesale reason to switch to metric, I really don't. Like I said, I think metric has its usefulness when it comes to very precise measurements, usually in the mm or g range or lesser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 08:05 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
I don't think many people advocate switching to metric ... I certainly do not. But it exists and we use it in many different places. With increasing globalization, we will probably use it more and more. IMHO, its not a problem for most people who happily coexist with both imperial and metric in their lives.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Um....no! The metric system was developed in 1670, and introduced to France in 1799.
Like I said ...... issues

Old 02-22-2011, 08:16 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I don't think many people advocate switching to metric ... I certainly do not. But it exists and we use it in many different places. With increasing globalization, we will probably use it more and more. IMHO, its not a problem for most people who happily coexist with both imperial and metric in their lives.
Yeah, I'm completely bilingual, so I don't care. It would seem to be prudent to have one system universally though, regardless of which system that may be, the duplication is pretty redundant. As was previously mentioned most scientific and medical fields are metric.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Didn't know there were two other countries still using the antiquated systems of measure, I
thought only the USA was behind in the times, thanks for the info.
Actually, I believe there are two other countries that take pride in this "great" system... Myanmar and a country in western Africa (can't recall the name).

But here is the real funny part, (the "conservative's" Wikipedia) Conservepedia defines it as a commie system, a rhetoric that a genius discovered in the 1970s... metric system is a communist plot.

In other words, we live in a country dominated by idiots.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Actually, I believe there are two other countries that take pride in this "great" system... Myanmar and a country in western Africa (can't recall the name).

But here is the real funny part, (the "conservative's" Wikipedia) Conservepedia defines it as a commie system, a rhetoric that a genius discovered in the 1970s... metric system is a communist plot.

In other words, we live in a country dominated by idiots.
I am reliably informed that Karl Marx's great great great great grandfather's second cousin knew someone who was the wife of a friend of the person who developed it in 1670.

Proof enough

Old 02-22-2011, 04:02 PM

613 posts, read 815,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Yeah but you've still got a lot of Imperial floating around, you're not full-on Metric. Due to the proximity to the US and the amount of trade you do with them. ..........................
You are absolutely right. I didn't mention it in my post because I didn't want to come across as whining. The greatest obstacle to Canada going completely metric is our relationship with the US.

It is my opinion though, that the US is free to go metric or not based on what makes sense to them. In the meantime we will cope.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:17 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I really think that people saying measuring in metric is easier, like coalman says, takes him a couple more seconds to use Imperial units, is just a couple more seconds. I still don't see it as the wholesale reason to switch to metric, I really don't. Like I said, I think metric has its usefulness when it comes to very precise measurements, usually in the mm or g range or lesser.

I don't think metric is any more or less precise. It's just easier to multiply.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:26 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,994,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yes. I can understand how easier it is for scientists to use metric, but for the everyman, Imperial units work just fine. I believe that's how it works today anyway. isn't everything in the scientific field using metric anyways? I always read astronomy reports using metric (and it's annoying )

I must be noted that Britain got rid of Imperial Units nearly 4 decades ago. Brits still use units like the stone in parallel to the kilogram. Ask a Britain how much he weighs and he is likely to give you his weight in stones! Britain used to have quite a system for coinage like the pence, twopense, threepence, sixpence shillings soverigns and pounds but even that went decimal in 1970.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:36 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,994,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post

Whether or not metric is adopted as the universal global system of weights and measures will largely be taken out of American hands. It will be decided by the nations doing most of the worlds manufacturing, technology deveopment and research. Hence that may be China or India or Brazil or Germanynot the United States. This is what loss of technical leadership means. The days when other nations will slavishly follow ANSI standards is ending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies