Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 11:37 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
What a ridiculous argument
F*cking decimal points, how do they work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 11:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Why haven't we gone metric yet?
Because multiples of 10 are so boring. The current system keeps it exciting...!

Old 02-24-2011, 12:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
How many millimeters in a kilometer? Is it 10, or 100, or 1000 or 10,000.
As long as you know the progression of the measurements you would only need to add a zero for each one. More importantly you can easily figure out how many millimeters is any of them.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:31 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As long as you know the progression of the measurements you would only need to add a zero for each one. More importantly you can easily figure out how many millimeters is any of them.
Yaaaaaaaaaawwnnn...

Old 02-24-2011, 12:51 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,949 times
What I find confusing about metric is all the meters... meters, millimeters, kilometers, centimeters, megometers . I never could remember their order.
I KNOW an inch, foot and yard... these three words are not confusing at all.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:20 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I agree. I use metrics every day at work and in much of every day life. As I believe most people do.

Me too. All my tools are metric, and metric tools can generally be used on fractional fasteners. It is seldom the case that I can use fractional tools on metric fasteners. Over time, I've grown to like the metric system, but most people still like to buy milk and gasoline by the gallon, mark their travels in miles and pay for produce by the pound. I see no problem with keeping both.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
What I find confusing about metric is all the meters... meters, millimeters, kilometers, centimeters, megometers . I never could remember their order.
If you used them all the time you'd remember them. I don't know what they all are either except mm, cm and meter but I don't use them.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:34 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,291,069 times
I have used both systems and I'll stick with the S.A.E. system thank you!
Why? because the metric system is a dumb down system.
With the S,A,E, system, you actually have to use your mind to figure things out. With metric, you can be asleep and use it. How much would I prefer we ban the metric system? Do you know what 6 bits would mean money wise?

Old 02-24-2011, 02:46 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I KNOW an inch, foot and yard... these three words are not confusing at all.
yes, and I can pretty much spot the length of an inch, and a foot. Even a yard. Multi meters? no concept. Why is it that it is so importnat to some that we change the way we do in the way the great majority like and do not want to change? Just because somebody else does it a different way? To keep up?

The repeated attemtps and the great resistance have not worked yet and somehow I doubt they will in the future.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:33 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you used them all the time you'd remember them. I don't know what they all are either except mm, cm and meter but I don't use them.
That is true.
I remember schools attempting to teach us metric in the 60's and 70's. We got it, but didn't like it. I suppose if the schools had kept teaching it we would have adapted. They didn't, so we never learned metric.
I don't care to learn it at this point in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
yes, and I can pretty much spot the length of an inch, and a foot. Even a yard. Multi meters? no concept. Why is it that it is so importnat to some that we change the way we do in the way the great majority like and do not want to change? Just because somebody else does it a different way? To keep up?

The repeated attemtps and the great resistance have not worked yet and somehow I doubt they will in the future.
Not unless ALL schools change over at once. Somehow I don't see that happening. I think we like being different.
(I was taught an adult's finger is roughly three inches long. I use my finger to measure lots of things.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies