Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 02:26 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,086,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Scientists, engineers, architects, mathematicians etc all prefer metric. Imperial is the most stupid system ever devised.
Don't forget drug dealers. If one were to get a bag of weed, one would get 1/8th or a quarter of an ounce most likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 02:29 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
negitive

the THREAD is different...its not just about the head
So in the US they use both metric and inch bolts simultaneously?
According to Wiki there are both Imperial and metric standards for bolts in the US

Screw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Screw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Being a translator, I sometimes get technical documents from American clients to translate, and in specification tables it often says for instance 1/4" and in brackets the corresponding rounded mm value.

Last edited by Neuling; 09-16-2011 at 02:39 PM..

Old 09-16-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Don't forget drug dealers. If one were to get a bag of weed, one would get 1/8th or a quarter of an ounce most likely.
Since you mention ounce, I just read on Wiki that in terms of linguistics both ounce and inch date back to the same old word meaning 1/12th.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:33 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,194,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Why switch over if the current system works just fine? The scientific and medical field uses metric, ok. Everyday life people use imperial, big deal. Us switching purely to metric has about as much chance of happening as the British Isles switching over to left-hand drive like the rest of the world
India, Australia and Japan all have left-hand traffic.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:38 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Hey man, the metric system is full of zeros!
Like poles repel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
NASA probably still hits their collective head on the desk thinking the same thing. It costs us taxpayers $125 million back in 1999.
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
So did the USA at one point, actually.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Hey man, the metric system is full of zeros!
But only when you pick the wrong order before the unit. Actually that is one of the benefits of the metric system, you just add a c, or an m, or a μ (which was not a lucky choice though as it is not a standard letter) or an n before meter. Is there something like a milliinch or nanoinch?

Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
So does the ex british colonies of Africa from Kenya on down to South Africa, all of the English speaking Caribbean including the USVI, several Polynesian islands, Kong Hong, Macau, Thailand, and a few other nations in southeast Asia and New Zealand.

The point of my post was Britain and Ireland, especially the UK, are not going to switch to left-hand drive (LHD, as in steering wheel placement) despite ALL of continental Europe driving on the right. So, I don't see the U.S. switching over to metric in everyday life anytime soon. Americans will still use pounds, ounces, pints, quarts, gallons, miles, feet, inches, Fahrenheit, etc. for the foreseeable future. Scientists that complain that the U.S. doesn't use metric are talking crap, because ALL scientific research and work, including medicine, is done in metric anyway. The only advantage that I like about metric, are the small measurements like milligrams, centimeters, millimeters, micrometers, and nanometers. Those are very handy, but we don't need Celsius, kilometers, or meters for most things.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:51 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,864,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Because, according to some idiots, metric system is a commie conspiracy.
I knew it

Old 09-16-2011, 02:51 PM

The difference might be that driving on one side or the other does not offer any advantage or disadvantages, one is just exactly the opposite of the other, like looking in a mirror.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:52 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
In science Americans also use the metric system, it is natural as science is very international...
yeah, i only mentioned the auto industry as that is what i am most familiar with. funny though back in the mid 70s when i was in high school, my chemistry teacher hated the metric system, but my physics teacher loved it. and my auto shop teacher didnt care either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies