Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are teachers overpaid
Yes 42 31.82%
No 90 68.18%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
I often hear how difficult a teachers job is. I rarely hear anything about other jobs and how hard they are.
So they have to make some tests and grade some papers. School gets out at 3. SO they can be done by 6 at the latest?
A chemical engineer works 50 weeks a year for exhorbitant hours. A staff engineer at a large oil company with 10 years experience does not get much over $100K.

Oh and no pension and much higher HC costs.

The pay of a teacher is probably high when compared to other jobs. Especially given their nice benefit and retirement package not to mention tenure.

Chemical Engineering Salary - Salary Profile for Chemical Engineer
I would never pretend to understand what chemical engineers do (or how they get what they do done).
However, it is also very clear to me that you have zero idea what it is like to teach.

Many teachers work 50 hours or more each week. However, spending more time at work does not equate 'difficulty'. Would you say that it's more difficult to sit in an office and push papers than it is to drive railroad ties? I might be for some, not for others. It's just too subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 01:15 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Ha no they aren't . All of my relatives are teachers and they are no where near 70k. They'd be lucky to break 50k . Places like New York have higher cost of living so it all evens out

Old 11-28-2012, 01:15 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Define difficulty. 'Difficult' is an extremely subjective rubric, which depends on the person being asked.
Would being a chemical engineer be difficult for me? Surely.
However, I would guess that trying to successfully educate 20-30 children would prove difficult for many chemical engineers, too.
Point taken,
but my point is we only hear about how difficult teachers have it. And to some degree I concur- a friend of mine who teaches tells how the parents are more difficult to deal with then the students.

Most of us look at our work as monotonous and thankless at times.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:17 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I would never pretend to understand what chemical engineers do (or how they get what they do done).
However, it is also very clear to me that you have zero idea what it is like to teach.

Many teachers work 50 hours or more each week. However, spending more time at work does not equate 'difficulty'. Would you say that it's more difficult to sit in an office and push papers than it is to drive railroad ties? I might be for some, not for others. It's just too subjective.
I may not know what it is like to teach but I know teachers, and they do not work 50 hours a week.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
most teachers don't forget are products of this flaky culture. all they can farm out is a percentage of guaranteed flakes.....so what happens is the teachers do not recognize the useless product because many are now

sooooo

a product of the flaky culture

education needs to be thoroughly knocked down and built back up from a sturdy foundation.

first thing thats needed is to get the comp out of assignments and classroom to 16....most principals become principals because they cannot stand teaching and want to be big shots. The best teacher in a school typically doesnt want to be a principal and enjoys the teaching.

without a doubt the product is at least 50% airhead,m we know this.

teachers should have at least 10 years in the working world before going into education...why..? because teacher then you can truly say..I know what I'm talking about, otherwise they do not

if you work out the hours for these bums and all the prof days where all they do is pretend they are road scholars and executives and map out an hourly wage it is un-believable. Education in my opinion is the biggest cover up going....they will NEVER fill out a budget without either asking for more or intentionally spending every cent possible in order to not have the budget drop.....a person could go on all day blasting Ed
Methinks you should have paid more attention to your teachers, stargazzer. I mean, I would never claim to be a 'road scholar', but I am dubious about taking educational policy advice from someone who obviously has no idea what they are talking about.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
I may not know what it is like to teach but I know teachers, and they do not work 50 hours a week.
That might be true, but there are some who do. In any case, that's not really the point. The point is that teaching is difficult for some; just as chemical engineering is for some.
If you feel that chemical engineers are underpaid and work too many hours, that is not the fault of teachers.
I happen to think that pro football players are overpaid. I mean, they play a game, right? However, I can't run a 4.3/40, so I guess that's off my list

Old 11-28-2012, 01:21 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Quote:
most teachers don't forget are products of this flaky culture. all they can farm out is a percentage of guaranteed flakes.....so what happens is the teachers do not recognize the useless product because many are now

sooooo

education needs to be thoroughly knocked down and built back up from a sturdy foundation.

first thing thats needed is to get the comp out of assignments and classroom to 16....most principals become principals because they cannot stand teaching and want to be big shots. The best teacher in a school typically doesnt want to be a principal and enjoys the teaching.

without a doubt the product is at least 50% airhead, we know this.

teachers should have at least 10 years in the working world before going into education...why..? because teacher then you can truly say..I know what I'm talking about, otherwise they do not

if you work out the hours for these bums and all the prof days where all they do is pretend they are road scholars and executives and map out an hourly wage it is un-believable. Education in my opinion is the biggest cover up going....they will NEVER fill out a budget without either asking for more or intentionally spending every cent possible in order to not have the budget drop.....a person could go on all day blasting Ed..They will avoid off time hours as much as possible unless its socially connected with the students for fun and enjoyment....marking, ever heard of pass your paper to the left..? Teachers are pro's at creating as much free time for themselves as possible, don't kid yourself
Excuse me. did you say something in all that?

Old 11-28-2012, 01:29 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:

sooooo

without a doubt the product is at least 50% airhead, we know this.

if you work out the hours for these bums and all the prof days where all they do is pretend they are road scholars and executives and map out an hourly wage it is un-believable. Education in my opinion is the biggest cover up going....they will NEVER fill out a budget without either asking for more or intentionally spending every cent possible in order to not have the budget drop.....a person could go on all day blasting Ed..They will avoid off time hours as much as possible unless its socially connected with the students for fun and enjoyment....marking, ever heard of pass your paper to the left..? Teachers are pro's at creating as much free time for themselves as possible, don't kid yourself
This has to be one of the dumbest things I ever read. 10 years in the working world doing what? I could see that at the collegiate level but not at primary or secondary. You don't have to be working 10 years to understand and teach basics like reading and math. How much work experience is required before you know the difference between verbs and nouns?

Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
No, they are not.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:34 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,133,213 times
hmmm a few teachers here I see, all wrong answers...you fail.

( even a deadbeat teacher will railroad and fail basic living skills)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies