Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 08:39 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
....and on a personal note I just take such pleasure knowing that all these knuckle dragging crazies without a whit of fairness in their own lives....will be in their living rooms as the tv washes over them with the fox haters cursing the gays and the black man as they fall into the crevice of history as nature time and people move onward.

see ya.
I see that you progs are thinking that you can just throw out anything you don't like. You really don't know what the Separation of Powers is, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The law is still in effect and will be until such time as Congress decides to abolish it. All the President did, and I know this may be difficult to follow, is instruct the DoJ to no longer defend against federal lawsuits that concern this particular law since he believes that those cases are not winnable.

As was noted earlier in this thread, the President is well within his rights to do this and there are have been many other instances of previous presidents doing the same.
I think that you should list some of the many instances of previous presidents doing the same and getting by with it.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:43 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
No, he has tried to do something that the Constitution does not allow him to do. The really funny thing here is that he violated the Constitution and his Attorney General went along with him.

Sorry, but he can't just use executive power to do things like this and always get by with it. I bet that even Kagan wouldn't vote for him on this one. That would be 6 - 3 but I doubt that the other three would vote for him, either.
What part of this has been done time and time again by other Presidents don;t you grasp? We have multiple articles in this thread about it, why are you ignoring them?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I think that you should list some of the many instances of previous presidents doing the same and getting by with it.
Perhaps read some links. Tigerlilly provided this one earlier

Law.com - Government's 'Duty to Defend' Not a Given

Old 02-24-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
What part of this has been done time and time again by other Presidents don;t you grasp? We have multiple articles in this thread about it, why are you ignoring them?
I got tired of reading left leaning crap and skipped a whole lot of their posts. It appears to me that if there is more than one law being discussed here then someone has changed the topic of the thread and that is forbidden. Well, at least it is for me to do that. NOw I don't know what progs can get by with.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I got tired of reading left leaning crap and skipped a whole lot of their posts. It appears to me that if there is more than one law being discussed here then someone has changed the topic of the thread and that is forbidden. Well, at least it is for me to do that. NOw I don't know what progs can get by with.
No one was changing any topics. Just read the link in my previous post. The point is the DOJ deciding not to defend lawsuits against a certain law is nothing new. It has been done quite a few times.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Only the Supreme Court can do what so many of you think Obama did here.
Obama only did what every teabagger spent 2010 doing. Stating their opinion that a piece of legislation is unconstitutional. The only difference here is that Obama's opinion is actually based on education and knowledge and comes with an executive order attached to it.

Quote:
What he did here is fire himself for 2012.
Yeah right.

I know people of your ilk have a tough time accepting this, but the tides have turned on the gay marriage issue and people like you are in the minority. Depending on which polls you believe, only about 23-40% of people oppose an outright ban on gay marriage. The other 77-60% support either gay marriage or civil unions. The numbers simply aren't on your side.

Either way, anyone thinking this will have even the slightest effect on 2012 is absolutely fooling themselves. The social conservatives are always going to vote red, the social liberals will vote blue and the moderates and independents either won't care or will side with more liberty rather than less.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:10 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
So what does that say about you in the multiple times you've deemed things "unconstitutional"? A quick search revealed that you've used that term 70+ times?
Well, it could mean that the United States Constitution is important to the person. I know it certainly is to me.

The Constitution directs the president to "take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed." President Obama took an oath to "preserve, protect and defend" that Constitution, but he's not doing it. He's subverting the Constitution rather than upholding it. He is in clear violation of his oath of office.

Last edited by Bideshi; 02-24-2011 at 10:54 PM..

Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I know people of your ilk have a tough time accepting this, but the tides have turned on the gay marriage issue and people like you are in the minority. Depending on which polls you believe, only about 23-40% of people oppose an outright ban on gay marriage.
A City Data poll is hardly representative. There are a hugely disproportional number of gays, liberals and atheists on CD forum. Liberal media polls are also slanted. The only poll I will believe will occur in 2012 at voting booths across the nation.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:21 PM

277 posts, read 166,766 times
Quote:
I got tired of reading left leaning crap and skipped a whole lot of their posts.
That's interesting. Aren't you the one who prefaces every single thread and post with the statement that every poster on here needs to read and/or watch a video? To the point where you respond to every poster that opposes your viewpoint with a question as to whether that poster read the article or watched the video?

Regardless, this is a step in the right direction. It's about time Obama!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies