Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 10:56 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Hurray! I'm so happy some states still have morals!
Then why is divorce not banned? Surely divorce is more immoral than gay marriage?

Sad that some people want this country run by puritans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 10:59 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I'm glad I won't be here to see what your generation will have to live through.
idk what generation you are, but pretty much every non-boomer is waiting for the boomers to lose power. Boomers are the only ones who consider boomers the best generation ever. Everyone else is waiting for the boomers to be irrelevant so we can accept the fact that they were the worst generation ever.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:24 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
gay bashers and anti-gays will never provide an answer to it. I"ve asked this and others on this board have ASKED the prominent gay bashers (bideshi, dlcds, hawkeye) this question and never ONCE have they answered it.

Because they know that they don't have an answer. They know that gays getting married, absolutely will not affect on their well being whatsoever.

Remember their whole belief system is they think what gays/lesbians do are "icky". That's it. that's where all their vitriol and hate comes from, they consider them icky.

Oh they'll use other straw man arguments like gays will show their affections in public (hence icky) or that schools will now teach about gay life styles (hence icky). Of course, its fine when Heterosexuals make out in public . I've yet to see a school teach about heterosexual life styles. Sex education yes (not the same).
It seems like most of the time they just repeat the "save marriage - it will destroy marriage" lines, without thinking through how. I have asked many people and get back either talking points that are off topic or stammering.

What I usually tell people is you want the government to stop it because you "just don't like it". This is when I remind the (usually pro-constitution conservatives) how great it is that we have rights that are protected by a constitution from the tyranny of the majority who “just don‘t like“ a lot of things.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:49 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Joel Osteen, the pastor of America's largest church, defended his position that homosexuality is a sin on Piers Morgan's Tonight, saying that even for the talented Elton John, being gay isn't "God's best for a person's life." "I've always believed, Piers, that the Scripture shows it's a sin," he said. "But I'm not one of those who are out there bash homosexuals and tell them that they are terrible people and all that. There are other sins in the Bible, too."

Morgan touted the interview, which airs Wednesday at 8 p.m., as the first time Osteen publicly took this position, explicitly opposing civil unions and homosexuality as sins according to the Bible, though Osteen has discussed his stance more generally on a number of talk shows.
"My message is about lifting people up. I really only talk about homosexuality in the interviews," he told Morgan during their conversation.
Osteen appeared on The View in November, when he could barely elaborate on biblical teachings on homosexuality over Joy Behar's interruptions

He has never preached a sermon on homosexuality at Lakewood Church in Houston, though, where a number of its 44,000 attendees are gay, plus more among the millions of viewers watching on TV. The familiar-faced televangelist and author is better known for positive, encouraging, self-help-style messages

Osteen on Piers Morgan: Homosexuality is a sin, Elton John a sinner | Believe It or Not | HoustonBelief.com
The ongoing trend with this type of scum is next year he'll be arrested for having sex with male prostitutes. This is getting really old.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:55 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Most religious-minded people are not out to attack homosexuals, and they mean well in their everyday actions and words. The problem, however, is when they take scripture as the literal truth without even attempting to reconcile it with reality. Trust me, I have struggled throughout my life to reconcile my own homosexuality with the Bible, but it simply doesn't work. Nor did I choose to be this way. If I really wanted to be with another female, trust me, nothing is stopping me from doing it. When it comes to sexual relations, where there is a will, there is a way. For homosexuals, the will isn't there, because the innate desire is not present. I wish social conservatives and religious people would realize this.

As for homosexuality and being Christ-like? I never thought it was un-Christ-like to point out someone's sins. If anything, you're doing so out of love for that person. Many in those situations would rather Christians accept them into their church family, but let them "do them" at the same time. I don't do that. If something is wrong, I'm pointing it out. I don't care about what's politically correct, or preserving another persons feelings or ego. I'm telling them the truth.

Now if they don't follow God, that's another story.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:56 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeltCrystal View Post
Oh please, those gay teens CHOOSE to kill themselves. This isn't our problem.

I love watching Joel Osteen on Sunday mornings, he is an excellent pastor. If gay teens cannot take an honest opinion then they need to grow some skin, seriously.
They more likely CHOOSE to kill themselve due to being in an environment where there is a lack of acceptance of their homosexuality by their family and peers.

People who make homosexuals feel their sexual orientation is "wrong" contribute to this lack of acceptance.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I've read the Bible, kid. I'm not angry. I'm appalled that you are invoking the name of God to justify bigotry and dealth.
I don't know why Christians have been doing it for hundreds of years.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I'm saying that no matter what their motive it shouldn't affect the length or level of their punishment, it would be pretty hard to find a case where anyone was beat where it wasn't a "hate crime". There's no logical reason to give certain groups of people more protection under the law based on the color of their skin or their sexual preference.
Actually there is and that's because in addtion to the crime itself the criminal act is part of a larger overall effort to subjugate or intimidate a specific group of people. Therefore it is not only a cirme it is a tool of oppression.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
chrisitianity is becoming a hot mess
Christianity has ALWAYS been a hot mess. If you didn't realize that you just haven't been paying attention.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And what of those who attempt to explain the unexplainable with belief? Where is the truth in that?
There is no truth it just feels better to some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies