Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 04:44 AM

7 posts, read 8,071 times

Advertisements

People who accept government handouts should not be eligible to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 09:46 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't know what state you are in but Headstart and Pre K are free to EVERYBODY in Georgia. So she might not have been on welfare. If she is on welfare, I agree that NO to a Blackberry. Just a basic cell phone.
What if she had the Blackberry BEFORE she started receiving welfare? Is she supposed to just chunk an expensive phone (that probably came with a 2 year contract) to make all the tax payers happy?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,530 times
This program needs to go away. Too many working people don't have phones because they can't afford them, we don't need to give luxury items to welfare moms .

Maybe if more "deadbeat dads" paid the child support that they owe, there would be fewer "Welfare Moms". Get a clue, you idiot.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:49 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,207,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
here's a better suggestion. no phone and walk. how's that for math.
Here's an even better suggestion: Walk in someone else's shoes before you decide to judge them. It is obvious to me that some people have no clue what they're talking about. I know nothing about this program, but geez, whoop-de-doo, 60 minutes per month. Let's not go all crazy here. The Pentagon spends hundreds of dollars on a toilet seat; where's your outrage?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:50 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,739,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1983 View Post
People who accept government handouts should not be eligible to vote.
Well, that would mean that all of the following would lose their voting rights:

-veterans receiving disability payments or other health benefits.

-employees of companies that received TARP funds

-everyone over 65/on SSI and/or Medicare

-the working poor receiving food stamps to help feed their kids

-families receiving SSDI for a disabled family member

-unemployed workers (or those only working partial hours because of work shortages) receiving UI

-farmers receiving subsidies

-college students receiving Pell Grants

I could go on, but I won't. Your idea is preposterous.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:58 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,207,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post

-unemployed workers (or those only working partial hours because of work shortages) receiving UI

Thank you for your post. I agree 100%.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:00 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
So the people who were whining and screaming about so-called welfare cheats when Reagan was president have crawled out from under their rock again. How nice.

If you want to get a job, and almost all unemployed people do, you need to have ready access to a phone. Using a pay phone is not a practical option because the phone companies have cut way back on pay phones (they aren't as profitable because of how many people have cell phones), you can't count on being able to receive a call on a pay phone, and the very fact that you're relying on a pay phone marks you as someone the employer might not want to deal with. Providing cellular service addresses these points, as well as providing phone service for health care, communications with schools, and other basic needs.

No matter what you say, telephone service is no longer a luxury, but a necessity, in today's society.

Oh yes, and nice job finding a new lie to make up about Obama.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:06 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post

Everyone who uses government-supplied roads

Everyone who uses public education at any level

Everyone who consumes food inspected by government employees

Everyone who uses the air traffic control system by flying in airplanes or purchasing products shipped by air

Everyone who uses the United States Postal Service (What? You didn't notice all the whining about subsidies to the USPS on another thread?)

Old 09-16-2009, 08:08 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,739,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Everyone who uses government-supplied roads

Everyone who uses public education at any level

Everyone who consumes food inspected by government employees

Everyone who uses the air traffic control system by flying in airplanes or purchasing products shipped by air

Everyone who uses the United States Postal Service (What? You didn't notice all the whining about subsidies to the USPS on another thread?)
Have we left out anyone?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,264 times
Question Mad at Waste But Necessary for Others!!

OK I looked this up because it made me MAD... So before people get mad at me just listen!!!!!
I was talking to a "friend" just out of jail for 2 years (doing something stupid) living w/mom & dad rent free, w/ a landline in the house & no job, looked a little bit 4 work. But w/ no job in sight wants to get a free phone "why not" he said, I can sit at the bar get free drinks (cause everyone will buy U some since he just got out) and wait for a job!!!!!
Now that is a bad example!! I think most people do the right thing, I would hope! Living in a car looking for work a phone would be a big help, also for safety reasons! Single moms ect.. the 911 would be good & limited time Great All for that!
So if you need a phone You know who you are do the right thing! Life is short and and what comes around goes around!! By the way I pay for my phone good old Metro PCS!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies