Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 08:09 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We started hiring in July 2010 because business was picking up. Businesses can't afford to wait for Congress to seize opportunites. That would be the silliest business approach ever. You take the opportunity when you see one and screw the Congress.

In business you also have to be able to plan. There was quite a bit of uncertainty over tax policy and the cost to business for Obamacare. the tax policy uncertainty was removed when Republicans forced Obama to extend the tax cuts. And the Obamacare appears to be on the ropes judicially. You're right, $2 trillion in business cash isn't sitting on the sidelines for ideological reasons. Business doesn't see blue or red but green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 08:11 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
In business you also have to be able to plan. There was quite a bit of uncertainty over tax policy and the cost to business for Obamacare. the tax policy uncertainty was removed when Republicans forced Obama to extend the tax cuts. And the Obamacare appears to be on the ropes judicially. Your right, $2 trillion in business cash isn't sitting on the sidelines for ideological reasons. Business doesn't see blue or red but green.
Ad "Cap and Tade" and I will agree.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:13 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
The point is, unemployment was higher in November than it was in February. Back to the original point, you claimed unemployment had been falling a year, when evidence points to the contrary.

Only after December did unemployment drop, and in January, that was only because of a book keeping change on the part of the BLS.
That's ONLY because there was a 1 month spike in November, aside from that, the month before & the month after were BOTH lower than Jan. November was a spike (mainly due to the horrendous weather).

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Ad "Cap and Tade" and I will agree.
And Cap and tax!!

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Scary?
Not to me....interesting however.
Haven't you always wanted to live through interesting times?
Yea, it was getting boring again, so I voted Republican in 2010

It was scary for me because I had invested heavily in 401K for as long as I have been working, and I saw the portfolio melt like a snowman in summer heat. Also, our company had several rounds of lay-offs. Well, the 401K is back to where it was, and we are hiring again, so that is a huge relief.

Quote:
Oh yes,I would prefer the fedgov. do nothing much at all...ever.

Things will slowly improve of course,and some political hack or party will take the credit...
Some things never change.

Ecclesiastes 1:9 What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun

Quote:
Something to remember is that people made fortunes during the Great Depression.
Yes, and 2009 was a great year to make moves in the stock market, and now is a great time to make moves in real estate. We won't see these opportunities again in our lifetime.

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
There you go again SELECTIVELY choosing the months to report.
I said the UE rate has been falling for the last year or so.
In Jan of last year the rate was 9.7 ( down from a peak of 10.1 4 months earlier). By the end of the year it was down to 9.4.
That means "it was falling for the last year or so" - which is exactly what I said. Did it go down every single month? No, but the year over year rate is DOWN.

Ken
Yes,I selectively chose two month intervals....

Old 03-04-2011, 08:16 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Yes,I selectively chose two month intervals....
No, I selected from the beginning of the year to the END of the year - as oppose to you selectively choosing ONE month.

Over the year, the UE rate went down. Did it spike in there a couple of places - sure, but it went down over the COURSE OF THE YEAR.

Ken

Old 03-04-2011, 08:16 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You're right, $2 trillion in business cash isn't sitting on the sidelines for ideological reasons. Business doesn't see blue or red but green.
Right, the 2T was not under the mattress waiting for mid-terms or some political announcment, but for better economic times.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:17 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
No, I selected from the beginning of the year to the END of the year - as oppose to you selectively choosing ONE month.

Over the year, the UE rate went down. Did it spike in there a couple of places - sure, but it went down over the COURSE OF THE YEAR.

Ken
Aren't Dec. figures often skewed by temporary hiring?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Right, the 2T was not under the mattress waiting for mid-terms or some political announcment, but for better economic times.

It was waiting for certainty and someone to counter balance a clearly anti business President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies