Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:27 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times

Advertisements

The Obama administration is cheering because it is getting closer to as low as when he took office. The GOP is cheering because most of the improvement took place since the election. Both are ignoring that many workers have dropped out of the labor force. With the oldest boomers now able to collect Social Security, many have decided to retire than keep looking for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 01:44 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The Obama administration is cheering because it is getting closer to as low as when he took office. The GOP is cheering because most of the improvement took place since the election. Both are ignoring that many workers have dropped out of the labor force. With the oldest boomers now able to collect Social Security, many have decided to retire than keep looking for work.
Whether unemployment is 8.9 or 18.9 right now, it really doesn't matter. The truth is right now unemployment is probably at the lowest it will be for the foreseeable future. I predict at least 20% by August, and that is by the governments measure. When you consider discouraged workers and the underemployed, we will be looking at near 40%.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:50 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Whether unemployment is 8.9 or 18.9 right now, it really doesn't matter. The truth is right now unemployment is probably at the lowest it will be for the foreseeable future. I predict at least 20% by August, and that is by the governments measure.
Care to put a little money on that?
Where do you guys GET this stuff (whatever you are smoking it MUST be GOOD)?

Shall we bookmark this post of yours so I can call you on it come August.
LOL

Ken

Old 03-05-2011, 01:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
And while the unemployment numbers go down....

-number of people on food stamps hits record highs each month
-number of people not in the workforce hit an all time high

There should be a correlation here..they ALL should be going down if the jobs are truly there and being created and we have a recovery going on. Are people just moving from one very publicized list to another not highly publicized list ?

Civilians Not In Labor Force Hits All Time Record | zero hedge

Between October and Febuary a record 700K people LEFT the workforce. Did they all retire or win the lottery or find sugar daddies/mommies ?

David Rosenberg's Explanation Why The Real Unemployment Rate (U-3) Is 12% | zero hedge

Old 03-05-2011, 05:49 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Care to put a little money on that?
Where do you guys GET this stuff (whatever you are smoking it MUST be GOOD)?

Shall we bookmark this post of yours so I can call you on it come August.
LOL

Ken
I think this is the first time I have ever agreed with you.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:51 PM

380 posts, read 692,045 times
That's what happens when you have phenomenal leader like our President who is sincere and well-respected by the people that know better!

Old 03-05-2011, 06:21 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I think this is the first time I have ever agreed with you.
Yeah I think that one is a no-brainer.

Ken

Old 03-07-2011, 06:55 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
and now the Repugs are wasting time and $$ to defend the DOMA law. I thought that they ran onthe promise of getting America back to work.
You don't think the federal government should defend federal laws that were lawfully passed? Until the law is deemed unconstitutional by the Supreme Court (and it may very well be) or the law is repealed (which likely will not happen, from both sides of the aisle), when legal challenges come up against federal law, we have to have someone go to court and show up for the defense team.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:07 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
You don't think the federal government should defend federal laws that were lawfully passed? Until the law is deemed unconstitutional by the Supreme Court (and it may very well be) or the law is repealed (which likely will not happen, from both sides of the aisle), when legal challenges come up against federal law, we have to have someone go to court and show up for the defense team.
On several occasions in the past the government has declined to continue to defend a law in court. For example, in United States v. Lovett 328 U.S. 303 (1946), Congress had to appoint a special counsel to argue the case before the Supreme Court because the Justice Department declined to defend the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies