Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:50 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Both sides in this discussion could stand to be a little more reasonable.
You're on the wrong forum if that's what you're looking for...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, the rate was around 8% back then, so there were still 92% to lose. Thanks goodness the trend was reversed.
Yes it was truly amazing to see the number of jobs shed by businesses back then...funny to think about it now.

Quote:
Yes, we need to be adding more or less 300K per month to have a real impact on overall economy, but it seems like we are on the right path.
What path are we even on?
Seriously I just see the fedgov. muddling through,not doing much to make things better.

Quote:
Again, when housing picks up and new construction picks up, everything else will follow.
Yeah.....I wouldn't pin too much on that happening....but who knows.

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
U.S. Department of Commerce. Bureau of Economic Analysis

Now, please show me this "everything you have seen" where it shows more than 3% for all of 2010.
Good. I didn't say you were wrong. All the growth numbers I've seen for 2010 ranged from 3.2% to 5.7% over various periods. My overall point remains true, that the economy was growing and expanding.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:52 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
And nearly a FULL POINT over the last 3 months. That's pretty substantial.

Ken
Actually, as the BLS reported, the data since January cannot be compared to 2010 or previous years.

Call them and ask them about it, because I did last month and they told me this. When they revise their household survey figures, it plays hell on any statistics using percentages. This is especially true considering the revision was more than 500k.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:53 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
business finally feeling more confident since we voted the Dems out of Congress...booted them out is more like it..TG
Is that Beck's latest line or something? I keep seeing it, but it doesn't hold up to scrutiny based on the growth of the economy occuring long before "we voted the Dems out of Congress" (they do still hold a majority in Senate, in case you missed that headline).

So, with 2 of the 3 in Democratic control, I'm not sure you've got a strong argument. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad Republicans have a foothold. I think the balance is best for our economy. I just don't think there's any truth to your claim.

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I wouldn't pin my hopes on housing picking up anytime soon....
It could take awhile, but eventually it turn. When it turns, it will turn fast, and there will be a panic-like frenzy to buy houses, because the prices will improve and rates will go up at the same time. We are looking to pick up some investment properties n FL now when you can still buy a condo for 30 000 and rent it for 1000+. Can't lose.

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Good. I didn't say you were wrong. All the growth numbers I've seen for 2010 ranged from 3.2% to 5.7% over various periods. My overall point remains true, that the economy was growing and expanding.

5.7?????????????? This I gotta see. Please show me where you saw this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Housing is going to be the LAST THING to pick up. The economy is recoving from a recsssion. However, the housing market has been in a DEPRESSION, that is just barely showing some signs of recovering. It may be until 2013 or 2014 before a sustained recover takes place.
I think it will be longer than that,and people will be VERY wary about taking on more debt considering the wake up call on how fragile their lives really are.

But things WILL improve eventually,they always do.

We just might be all dead by the time things do....

Old 03-04-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
And nearly a FULL POINT over the last 3 months. That's huge.

Ken
BLS changed things in Jan. of this year I do believe,making it more difficult to compare to the previous year.

Somehow they overcounted by 500,000 people..

Sure makes you trust their abilities...

Old 03-04-2011, 07:56 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
First of all, you probably are using early revisions. This is why I ask for your sources. GDP numbers are revised 3 times, including an annual revision where the previous 3 years are changed.

Second, the economy does not grow at 3.2% or 5.7% over the previous period, that is nonsensical. Those are annualized rates. This means if the economy grew at that pace for a year, the year would show 3.2% growth (as an example).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies