Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:41 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,237,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So you admit the data is accurate: the WI teachers' union's insurance company is overcharging WI taxpayers $68-100 million per year for teachers' health insurance.

I cannot find the words "overcharging" or "overcharge" in the report.
EDIT: I'm speaking of Vol13no8.pdf. Is there another report? I missed it coming into the thread late, apologies if so.

"Charges more than other possible options" is not equivalent to "overcharges." If I choose Kaiser at work instead of Aetna, Kaiser will charge more. That doesn't mean they are overcharging. In addition to the reports' conclusion that the above-market-price charging may possibly be due to superior quality of coverage and service, it likewise is non-committal on its being due to an advantage at the time of contract negotiation - "an additional possible explanation." (p6)

And nobody said there would need to be evidence that teachers accepted a pay cut in order to get higher health insurance benefits. The negotiation is over how much compensation will be in salary, and how much in benefits. The bargaining agreements are about future years and at what rate compensation will increase.

I happen to think the report has some interesting things to say about competition in health insurance vs a monopoly, but you are spinning their report to your own conclusions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 02:43 PM

89,098 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
But you haven't presented any of it.

You have only presented the analysis.
With a link to the reports so that you or anyone else can read the data.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:44 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,771,243 times
Quote:
Awesome!!! You've put a stake in the ground. You have made an affirmative assertion!

Now... prove it.

Wow you really are intellectually incurious aren't you? You really like to be spoon fed. Well I really had to dig, it was in the link I provided for you.

"Milton was paying $48,301 more in premiums for every month that it couldn't switch from WEA Trust to a pair of plans from Madison-based Dean Health and Janesville-based MercyCare that it said were comparable. The district already had switched its administrative staff, said Nikolay, and while the union objected that the new plans would restrict choices, most teachers already used doctors at Dean or MercyCare clinics, Nikolay noted. "That made it less problematic for a lot of our families.""

Old 03-09-2011, 02:45 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,095,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I happen to think the report has some interesting things to say about competition in health insurance vs a monopoly, but you are spinning their report to your own conclusions!
To be fair, IC is only spinning the report to reach the conclusions intended by the authors. Its greatest strength as a propaganda piece is its ability to get people like IC to believe a falsehood without ever actually being explicitly false itself.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Angry?

Oh pulleeeeze!

I am being explicit that in this case IC has lied. He has repeatedly asserted that I said something.

What exactly would you have me point to to prove I never said it?

On the other hand, IC could effortlessly prove he was not lying simply by linking to the post where I actually said what he claims.

The burden of proof is entirely on him... or you since you have positioned yourself as his white knight.

You really need to be a little more introspective and explore the source of your anger.

As to the lying accusation, you need provide some reason other than with you feel or think as to why someone is lying.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
With a link to the reports so that you or anyone else can read the data.
And I have read the data. I have not called it false. I have asserted the analysis and estimates are propaganda.

But as far as the data goes, you have presented none of it.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:47 PM

89,098 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Wow you really are intellectually incurious aren't you? You really like to be spoon fed. Well I really had to dig, it was in the link I provided for you.

"Milton was paying $48,301 more in premiums for every month that it couldn't switch from WEA Trust to a pair of plans from Madison-based Dean Health and Janesville-based MercyCare that it said were comparable. The district already had switched its administrative staff, said Nikolay, and while the union objected that the new plans would restrict choices, most teachers already used doctors at Dean or MercyCare clinics, Nikolay noted. "That made it less problematic for a lot of our families.""
They refuse to read the links provided for them. They choose to continue their self-induced ignorance.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Wow you really are intellectually incurious aren't you? You really like to be spoon fed.
Not at all.

I like to be accurate. I like to be genuinely data driven. And I long ago learned that the plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby
"Milton was paying $48,301 more in premiums for every month that it couldn't switch from WEA Trust to a pair of plans from Madison-based Dean Health and Janesville-based MercyCare that it said were comparable."
Okay. The District that saved the money "said" the plans "were comparable."

So show me.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
You really need to be a little more introspective and explore the source of your anger.
You really should stop trying to read emotional state through the Internet. You are really not very good at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby
As to the lying accusation, you need provide some reason other than with you feel or think as to why someone is lying.
Other than that I never said what the person just accused me of saying?

Again... take a moment to actually read the thread. You will be less confused.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Not at all.

I like to be accurate. I like to be genuinely data driven. And I long ago learned that the plural of anecdote is not data.

Okay. The District that saved the money "said" the plans "were comparable."

So show me.

I just did. Look, you refuse to believe anything that doesn't conform to you political beliefs, that's ok. The rest of the folks reading this thread see what is going on.

Again, look into youself about the anger, it makes you irrational. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies