Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The point is valid when we start painting a faction of the populace with a broad brush.
The point isn't valid because all you want to do is deflect the topic at hand. You don't want the conversation to be about those who spit on soldiers, you want to shift it to something else like religion so that you can attack them. People of all races and walks of life were against soldiers coming home from Vietnam, is wasn't just one faction of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nonsense. I don't believe it. It's a story that fits very nicely in that ol' fashioned right wing narrative that liberals hate the military.
Sorry you feel that way but I think I'll take the word of my dad and his Navy buddies over yours. As for "evidence", unlike today, there weren't video cameras in everyone's pocket and back then the press was just as anti-military as the university students. With the low military pay back then, a video camera was a luxury they could not afford.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:05 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
The point isn't valid because all you want to do is deflect the topic at hand. You don't want the conversation to be about those who spit on soldiers, you want to shift it to something else like religion so that you can attack them. People of all races and walks of life were against soldiers coming home from Vietnam, is wasn't just one faction of the population.
That's because no one ever spit on soldiers, so there is no need to discuss that any further.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:06 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Sorry you feel that way but I think I'll take the word of my dad and his Navy buddies over yours. As for "evidence", unlike today, there weren't video cameras in everyone's pocket and back then the press was just as anti-military as the university students. With the low military pay back then, a video camera was a luxury they could not afford.
Fine....show me a record of one blotter report where a soldier charged someone with spitting on him and i'll buy it.

Until then, i'll stay steadfast in my belief that it never happened. Because it didn't. I'm sorry to burst your bubble.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:07 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Every other conservative makes this same claim. The evidence doesn't support it. Besides, that story is so trite and worn out that only a fool couldn't see throught it.

It's always "i was spat on and called baby killer."
They did have to kill babies. Some of them felt guilty about it. Those 'babies' were instructed to be saboteurs the same way Muslim terrorists fight dirty. They weren't wrong to do what they had to do. Leadership was wrong.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:08 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Fine....show me a record of one blotter report where a soldier charged someone with spitting on him and i'll buy it.

Until then, i'll stay steadfast in my belief that it never happened. Because it didn't. I'm sorry to burst your bubble.
Link debunking my links???

Old 03-15-2011, 10:10 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:

Back then people didn't file a police report for spitting or a street fist fight.

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
That's because no one ever spit on soldiers, so there is no need to discuss that any further.
Why are you afraid of the discussion???

BTW, my dad was a hippie lib until the day he died.

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
As some of you know I served in the US Navy in the Riverine Operations in '66 - '67 around and on the Mekong River. I did my share and saw and did some very nasty things. That be as it may, the most disturbing, politically and emotionally anyway, was the realization that the people we were supposedly fighting for, the Diem regime in Saigon, had fought for the French in Indochina. This was a completed shock. It is bad enough to fight to keep your own colonies but to fight for somebody else’s’. That is just too wrong.

I was treated either indifferently or if insulted with some justifiable fear by the “civilians” I met after getting back to the “world”. I simply suppressed my feelings and tried to remain mostly calm. I still do. I was watching a show Sunday morning discussing veterans returning from war. It described most of the symptoms of PTSD as if they were a disease. PTSD is not a disorder it is a lifestyle. It is also the logical result of being really terrified. The things they call PTSD will keep you alive and you never forget them.

IMHO what we are doing in Iraq and Afghanistan has nothing to do with the incident on 9/11. That tragedy was used by some very twisted people as an excuse to implement part of the “New American Century” plan for American military dominance of the world that effectively is a new Crusade for Christian evangelicals as well as rapacious petroleum company owners. Our soldiers are not defending our country; they are the enforcers of the biggest land and resource grab in history. They are just hired thugs for the man. Using our soldiers as thugs for commercial gain insults them and every veteran.

I want to see these grandest of grand thefts ended and ended NOW. I do not care if some other country controls the oil in Asia. I do not care if the tyrants or the people win in the Middle East. I do not care if Israel survives. These are not the legitimate concern of the United States. These are not worth losing any of our soldiers lives.

PS: a couple of "civillians" called me a "baby killer". I responded with a "not yet" and they literally ran away. Smart people. The fool that did actually spit on me deeply regretted the incident. I beat him unconcious and left him on the street. I was not very tightly wrapped at that time.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
They're also heavily politically active and the leaders of WBC have run as Demcorats in many local elections.
That still doesn't make them legitimately "Christian."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies