Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 01:41 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Anyone who "signed up" to go to Viet Nam, violated MY Constitution, which prohibited such carnage without a Congressional declaration of war.

Anyone who was forced to violate my country's Constitution, via the draft, should have a bone to pick with the Government, not the people!
The "Gulf of Tonkin Resolution," enacted into Public Law 88-408 on August 7, 1964 was Congress' declaration of war against Vietnam. Unlike with Obama's war with Lybia, Congress fulfilled their constitutional obligation with regard to Vietnam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 02:02 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The "Gulf of Tonkin Resolution," enacted into Public Law 88-408 on August 7, 1964 was Congress' declaration of war against Vietnam. Unlike with Obama's war with Lybia, Congress fulfilled their constitutional obligation with regard to Vietnam.
Generally, I wear a suit and tie to formal occasions.

Declaration of war by the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-29-2011, 02:35 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
How does hatred of a particular war equate to hatred of soldiers That's craziness!
For some anti-war people, it's a hatred of both the war and the military. Examples include Code Pink and the city council and mayor of Berkeley, California and their treatment of the Marines. Other examples include all the vandalism of military recruiting offices and university ROTC (like at Chapel Hill). You oppose the war then oppose those who ordered the troops into combat, the federal government.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Color of law.

Resolutionists for war should be tried for treason, and the cooperating president, courts martialed.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:59 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
How does hatred of a particular war equate to hatred of soldiers That's craziness!
Any crazier than <alleged> conservative vets nuking california or wishing annihilation of code pink?

I'd be interested to hear what their CO's would have to say. I also hope the irony isn't lost on most that the greatest scientific minds handed a bunch of monkey's an arsenal and they now threaten scientific minds with their own creation. Clearly some individuals cannot manage the slightest amount of authority/ empowerment without feeling compelled to abuse it.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:08 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk1974 View Post
I wasnt born yet when the vietnam war was going on, but I have been reading that most of the population back in the states had hatred for the soldiers over there fighting, just wondering why that was? Im assuming because the people were getting tired of hearing about the war and took it out on those that decided to serve in it? Well, if this is true, then we are approaching that same sentiment again, it wont be to long before people get tired of hearing about the two wars we are in now, and possibly getting ready to start another one? People will first take it out on the elected to office in washington, then after awhile, they begin to have hatred for the troops who decide to serve. It may not seem that way with all the support our troops signs we see all over, but I believe what happened in vietnam will happen again once people get sick of hearing about it.
Stories of Vietnam War soldiers being spit on by hippies is an urban legend.

There was a whole book written about this tall tale, often repeated by right wing lemmings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spitting_Image

I'm a veteran, and in general I have no sympathy for US soldiers any longer.

There are either: 1) Hugely ignorant of, or 2) Apathetic to, these needless, immoral, and wasteful military interventions. Violating International law, torturing, and killing civilians in the process.

They are part of making things worse....not better.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Veterans deserve to be honored, regardless of which conflict they served in, soldiers don't create the conflicts.
They just choose to join them.

I can understand somebody being active military and being caught up in this rush to war.

But it's been clear whats going on for 10 years now. The truth is out there and all the B.S. has been exposed.

They are either ignorant of the truth or they don't give a damn.

They could have not joined, or gotten out long ago.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:20 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Stories of Vietnam War soldiers being spit on by hippies is an urban legend.

There was a whole book written about this tall tale, often repeated by right wing lemmings. The Spitting Image - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm a veteran, and in general I have no sympathy for US soldiers any longer.

There are either: 1) Hugely ignorant of, or 2) Apathetic to, these needless, immoral, and wasteful military interventions. Violating International law, torturing, and killing civilians in the process.

They are part of making things worse....not better.

Its not an urban legend.. It happened to me........

Old 05-29-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The war in Vietnam was considered by many to be a senseless war.

It was manned primarily by the draft which was feared and hated. Some young men publicly burned their draft cards. The lottery system of the draft scared all of us. We'd watch it on TV and pray that our loved ones and friends were not included.

It's also important to realize what the mood of the country was in the 60's and 70s. There was a "free love" and "flower power" tone among the younger generation.

We're not experiencing that with Iraq and Afghanistan. The US was attacked and the mindset of the country was/is retaliatory because of the mass murder of our folks.

I agree with what Cunucu Beach wrote. The treatment of our troops during Vietnam was shameful and hateful. I don't think we will see that happen again. If we do, I hope it's not in my lifetime. Our military is us and our vets are also us. They deserve recognition and respect.
They US was NOT attacked by Iraq. We had 900 UN inspectors and staff from Western nations in Iraq looking for fantasy WMD. Bush told them to get out and we attacked them.....nothing whatsoever to do with 9/11.....as 2 Bush appointed fact finding commission concluded.

These wars were needless, and the US soldiers who died, along with the hundreds of thousands they killed ....died in vain.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
They US was NOT attacked by Iraq. We had 900 UN inspectors and staff from Western nations in Iraq looking for fantasy WMD. Bush told them to get out and we attacked them.....nothing whatsoever to do with 9/11.....as 2 Bush appointed fact finding commission concluded.

These wars were needless, and the US soldiers who died, along with the hundreds of thousands they killed ....died in vain.

"However, due to President Obama’s clear circumvention of Congressional approval and his egregious and erroneous appeal to the War Powers Act, I am stating categorically that his attack upon Libya is an abuse of executive power and an unconstitutional action. This is not my opinion alone. Many Americans from constitutional law experts to his own liberal Democrats are beginning to say the same thing, which brings me back to the quote from Bob Dole, “Where’s the outrage?”

Where’s the Outrage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies