Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:17 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
If the majority support perverting and making a mockery of marriage
I'm confused. Are you talking about divorce or gay marriage? Ever looked at the stats for divorce? Straight marriage makes a good mockery of marriage on its own. I'm not sure how letting two people of the same sex into a flawed institution would make it any different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 10:20 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
If the majority support perverting and making a mockery of marriage, then have the people in every state where it was voted on overwhelmingly rejected it?
I don't think most people will vote for Newt Gingrich.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:52 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
Ok, this has little to do with same-sex marriage, but is this how you care for and respect elder people? I don't know what you've been through and how your grandpa treated you, but your grandpa lived in a generation that taught him to see things differently. You can't blame him for that and for the fact that his father taught him. Maybe he is responsible for his own actions and behaviors (as he ages) but to tell him to die because he's racist and don't support your marriage (or maybe he does)?

First of all, he's still a human being. That doesn't give you the right to tell him to die. Secondly, this generation (I don't know how old or young you are) have no respect for elders. It makes me sick to listen to people like this and have no care in the world for elder people. Maybe it's just a culture thing, but it makes me angry when younger people don't give a rip about their grandparents and elders because they have different worldviews. It's not acceptable if grandparents and elders start bashing others because we don't have the same worldview. It is something they have to accept, but hello? You can always ignore but still care for them because they are your grandparent.
Yes, but his grandfather is excessively mean and nasty. My grandmother just recently passed away at 96. I agree that you can't change the way that dinosaurs think, but you can certainly ask them not to talk that way around you.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:02 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
How can support be that high though? I imagine in the NE and in California, it'd be true. But when you factor in states like Mississippi, Alabama, Texas, Utah, etc, it seems like it'd be lower. I remember back in 2008 before all the big elections in Florida, newspapers were doing polls on whether Floridians would vote in favor of the gay marriage ban. Most of the polls said the gay marriage ban would fail to pass (60% is needed), since most of the polls were showing around 50-55% support for the ban. But the day after elections, the gay marriage ban passed with 62% voting in favor of it. Even in liberal Key West, 48% voted in favor of the ban, 52% voted against it. The ban was passed among people of all ages, including people aged 18-24 and 25-29.

And even "liberal" Maine barely shows a 47-45 favor of gay marriage.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...se_ME_0314.pdf

Among ages in Maine...

Aged 18-29, 51% favor gay marriage, 46% oppose
Aged 30-44, 48% favor it, 46% oppose
45-65, 50% favor, 42% oppose
66+, 38% favor, 50% oppose
The problem with these gay referenda is that the religious bigots often promote deceptive propaganda that is untrue. Even reasonable people will give in to voting anti-marriage because of what they hear on the radio, TV or in their place of worship. I read that the catholic church was especially strong in maine and whipped its parishioners into voting against SSM in that state. Especially heart wrenching are TV ads that insinuate that the kids will somehow "choose" a gay orientation if SSM becomes legal. Other ads lie about churches being "forced" to marry gays or else lose their non-tax status. I also suspect that the ones that are more likely to vote anti-SSM are more likely to go to the polls than the pro-SSM side.
I'm not sure about Key West voting by only a small percentage. Could it be that maybe Monroe Cty encompasses more than just KW itself? Is there a higher percentage of older people or blacks?, both of which tend to be rabidly anti-gay.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:24 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
How can support be that high though? I imagine in the NE and in California, it'd be true. But when you factor in states like Mississippi, Alabama, Texas, Utah, etc, it seems like it'd be lower. I remember back in 2008 before all the big elections in Florida, newspapers were doing polls on whether Floridians would vote in favor of the gay marriage ban. Most of the polls said the gay marriage ban would fail to pass (60% is needed), since most of the polls were showing around 50-55% support for the ban. But the day after elections, the gay marriage ban passed with 62% voting in favor of it. Even in liberal Key West, 48% voted in favor of the ban, 52% voted against it. The ban was passed among people of all ages, including people aged 18-24 and 25-29.
You are right that this could be an inaccurate polling result. This poll has a sampling error margin of +/- 3.5%. Polls done with proper sampling methods can still produce inaccurate results every once in a while. However, the trend as you can see on the WaPo site is clear - support for gay marriage is increasing.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:38 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The problem with these gay referenda is that the religious bigots often promote deceptive propaganda that is untrue. Even reasonable people will give in to voting anti-marriage because of what they hear on the radio, TV or in their place of worship. I read that the catholic church was especially strong in maine and whipped its parishioners into voting against SSM in that state. Especially heart wrenching are TV ads that insinuate that the kids will somehow "choose" a gay orientation if SSM becomes legal. Other ads lie about churches being "forced" to marry gays or else lose their non-tax status. I also suspect that the ones that are more likely to vote anti-SSM are more likely to go to the polls than the pro-SSM side.
I'm not sure about Key West voting by only a small percentage. Could it be that maybe Monroe Cty encompasses more than just KW itself? Is there a higher percentage of older people or blacks?, both of which tend to be rabidly anti-gay.
Key West is mostly white, and the population is slightly older than the state and national average. But religiosity is lower than most other places. I would say the political and social beliefs among the residents are much more liberal than most other places as well, even among the older generation.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:40 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,282 times
gay marriage bans are unconstitutional and every time they've been fought judicially they've been OVERTURNED. Once doma is ruled unconstitutional than gay marriage will effectively be LEGAL in EVERY STATE.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:25 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
5 Years ago there were about 20 million Millennial generation not of voting age and millions more older people who were. As they die off and more Millennials become of voting age, that percentage of support will skyrocket.

The Millennial are very tolerant and accepting of homosexuals and of all races. Many of todays issues will just die off.

That being said I don't care what the percentages are, it is not a majority rule issue, it is a basic rights issue. This is why the government should be out of the marriage business.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Americans are fickle idiots why are gays waiting for the approval of the masses? This is absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Slim majority back gay marriage, Post-ABC poll says - The Washington Post

Interesting to see how opinions have changed over just the last five years. And ten years ago, civil unions were seen as radical. The times are changing, for sure.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:34 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times
Also, there may be people who think gay marriage should be legal, but that doesn't mean they all approve of same sex marriage. According to Gallup, as recently as the 1990s, more people disapproved of marriages between blacks and whites than approved of it. Probably most of them thought black-white marriages should be legal, but many didn't approve of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies