Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
When the people speak by way of their vote on this issue you obviously don’t like what they have to say about it. That is most unfortunate indeed. On the other hand why should anyone even bother voting if some judge is just going to invalidate the people’s vote anyway? [blank] the voice of the people, all that matters is you and what you want!

Just hope that it always falls your way and when the judge doesn’t do what you want then what?
Wrong. I believe in our system of government, including our judicial branch. If the U.S. Supreme Court makes a decision, I respect it, even if I don't agree with it. That's how it works, my friend. The voters don't get the final word on constitutional issues. That's what the Founding Fathers wanted, and most Americans agree with it to this day. We have a Constitution for a good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 12:45 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Wrong. I believe in our system of government, including our judicial branch. If the U.S. Supreme Court makes a decision, I respect it, even if I don't agree with it. That's how it works, my friend. The voters don't get the final word on constitutional issues. That's what the Founding Fathers wanted, and most Americans agree with it to this day. We have a Constitution for a good reason.
This is true. No constitutional rights have been denied here either.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:57 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,987,285 times
as an gay male I dont really care about gay marriage and not interest it on being legal or not

Old 03-21-2011, 03:31 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
Marriage, interracial or otherwise, fulfills the only requirement possible to constitute marriage namely one man and one woman.

You avoided the question.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:32 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,300,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Going off topic: Thank you. They have some interesting documentaries.. like when people coming out to their families. But they always find the most effeminate men or the most masculine women who tell their families "Im gay" and the parents say "Yes, I know" UGHHH. LOGO does more damage then good. Simply by focusing SIMPLY on the stereotypes that people THINK we are a certain way -- to the simple minded people (just look at CD forums and x that by 100) who may stumble upon the network.. their "views" are justified because.. well.. that's what they see. Sissy men, sex, sex, sex, sex, and vodka commercials. And sentences with fabulous or fabulouth.
So if it was filled with shows featuring the right type pf gay people, the minds of bigots would be converted just that easily? Will they go from narrow minded to open minded by watching a show of a gay couple- clean cut, business suited and speaks with no lisp?

Yes, I agree at time Logo can be pretty dull, but it does give a platform for shows that wouldn't be shown anywhere else (except for Showtime)

Old 03-21-2011, 06:43 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
So if it was filled with shows featuring the right type pf gay people, the minds of bigots would be converted just that easily? Will they go from narrow minded to open minded by watching a show of a gay couple- clean cut, business suited and speaks with no lisp?

Yes, I agree at time Logo can be pretty dull, but it does give a platform for shows that wouldn't be shown anywhere else (except for Showtime)
How about we show reality? Yes, there ARE gay men who are OVERLY lisp and overly effeminate.. but you know what? They are also everyday normal people. They are your doctors, your police officers, firefighters, mail carriers, grocery cashiers, shoe salesmen, lawyers, farmers... etc

What shows are you speaking about? Crap like RuPaul's drag race? Awful, just awful..and THAT is the kind of show the bigots will watch and confirm their beliefs that all gays are creepy freaks like they are in that show (they find the GAYEST people on the planet to go on that show and that channel)

Old 03-21-2011, 07:02 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
This is true. No constitutional rights have been denied here either.

Actually it is. Prop 8 was a violation of the 14th Amendment. There is also federal case law that set the precedent of marriage being a basic human right.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:04 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,620,504 times
Do we or should we legislate according to opinion polls?

Old 03-21-2011, 07:30 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defective14 View Post
They are raising awareness. They aren't any less American than you or I simply because of their lifestyle choices.
Great points except gays and lesbian's don't have lifestyle choices, they have lives - just like heterosexual males and females.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:40 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Do we or should we legislate according to opinion polls?
Anti-gay marraige activists have been trying to ban gay marraige based on popular votes for the past 8 years. However, you're right in the sense that civil rights should not be subject to the whims of a bare majority of voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies