Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:50 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Seems pretty clear-cut.

The supreme court has said that marriage is a right.
Rights, in this country, are given to all without prejudice or discrimination.
The 14th Amendment confirms this.

Henceforth, the right of marriage should be given to any and all couples (2+ persons) of consenting age.

The reasoning of "well, a gay man can marry a gay woman" was a similar argument used during the period of Loving vs. Virginia in which "a black man can marry a black woman". Because that was discriminatory in practice, it was considered unconstitutional.

While race and sexual preference are not the same thing, the basic principle applies.

And the good part is, more and more Americans are actually looking at things from a logical standpoint. Thus, the support for same-sex marriage will slowly, but surely, rise.
Quoting due to the overwhelming sense of logic presented here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 08:44 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I don't think that "bigot" is an inaccurate term to use here. Would you prefer "homophobe" or "guy that really doesn't like gays, because they're gay?"
Such anger and hostility. You don't sound like a very happy individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
You absolutely have the right to think homos are the scum of the Earth.
What else am I “allowed” to do? That’s not what I think of them but obviously the way you feel about those who are not in 100% lock step with the homosexual agenda and simply do not want marriage changed. I have a couple of choice names I could denigrate you with as well but instead I’ll leave the name calling, nasty labels, put downs and assorted ridicule up to the homosexual radicals as it obviously makes your ilk feel good about yourselves and better than everybody. How is demonizing the opposition with the name calling, hostility and labeling working out for you by the way?

Old 03-25-2011, 09:05 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
isn't a back and forth of answering questions what a debate forum is all about?

if the only thing you truly can say about not wanting marriage for gay people...
I don’t want marriage changed. Your question has just been answered yet I am certain that you not only disagree with the answer but you will not accept anything I have to say about it anyway to your full and complete satisfaction. That is most unfortunate. Why do you even bother asking a question that you know well beforehand that you are not going to be happy with the answer anyway? My position on this matter remains unchanged.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:08 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
I guess it's great that support is increasing but it really bothers me that people think that who other people have the right to marry is something that should be decided by the general population.

So basically we create "rights" based on how popular the subject is. That just seems so ass backward

Old 03-26-2011, 07:34 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
How is demonizing the opposition with the name calling, hostility and labeling working out for you by the way?
How is it working for you?

Old 03-26-2011, 11:20 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
How is demonizing the opposition with the name calling, hostility and labeling working out for you by the way?
The demonizing hasn't even begun yet. Once we destroy the sanctity of your marriage, we've going to take it away from you entirely.

Once gays have the right to marry, the next push will be to ban Christians from marrying, heterosexuals from serving in the military, we're gonna rename "Smear the Qu**r" "Smear the Christer," and on and on and on. This movement is actually all about vengeance.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:24 AM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
I don’t want marriage changed. Your question has just been answered yet I am certain that you not only disagree with the answer but you will not accept anything I have to say about it anyway to your full and complete satisfaction. That is most unfortunate. Why do you even bother asking a question that you know well beforehand that you are not going to be happy with the answer anyway? My position on this matter remains unchanged.

I can be satisfied with your answer, doesn't mean I agree with it. I must have missed it.
why don't you want marriage changed? based on religion?
are you worried if gays are allowed to marry, the US will no longer have happy traditional families?
do you think if people are exposed to gay people being married they will follow suit?

Old 03-26-2011, 08:15 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The demonizing hasn't even begun yet. Once we destroy the sanctity of your marriage, we've going to take it away from you entirely.

Once gays have the right to marry, the next push will be to ban Christians from marrying, heterosexuals from serving in the military, we're gonna rename "Smear the Qu**r" "Smear the Christer," and on and on and on. This movement is actually all about vengeance.
*snort*

Old 03-26-2011, 11:37 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Seriously, just because when...WHEN...homosexuals are allowed to marry in all 50 states that does NOT mean marriage is destroyed. There's a few million people in the United States, do you honestly feel that ALL of them are going to just decide to eschew the traditional marriage because homosexuals can get married?

I mean, in a few short months, homosexuals will be openly serving in the military, which is NOT...NOT...going to ruin it in the slightest.

Again, give me a logical and coherent argument that doesn't consist of, "It's icky and gross!" You're just fooling yourself with that.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:44 AM

306 posts, read 355,248 times
OK.

I've not read anything before this post because I KNOW there will be "christian" opposition based on that surreal fable they are brainwashed into believing .... and I absolutely support their right to believe whatever nonsense their momma told them to believe. I do. Really. As long as it doesn't affect me I'm OK with them stumbling through life with that crutch.

Whatever!

And there are undoubtedly people who write passionately about the "sanctity" of the holy sacred bond between a man and a woman and his mistress and that wh*re he banged in Vegas during that convention and the pool-boy she couldn't resist while her husband was in Vegas banging that wh*re and the Ex who shows up for a little somethin-somethin and ... well, if you're bright enough, you get the idea ...

... and if you're bright enough you probably already support same-sex marriage.

But for those who aren't .... let me school you.

You are a dying breed.

It's all about demographics.

You've lost the battle. You've lost the war. You are old. You have old values. You are clinging to the old ways. Your generation will die and your opinion will not matter any more. Go ahead and Vote Republican ONE MORE TIME but in the long run it will not matter. Same sex marriage will happen whether or not you contribute your life savings to Brian Brown or Maggie Gallagher. They just want your money and you're not smart enough to see that.

It's going to happen.

Younger people have no issue with same sex marriage because there is no reason to oppose it!

They have aunts and uncles who are out and proud and living their lives and enjoying it!

Go ahead. Fight it. Sign those silly petitions. Elect those extreme right-wing teabaggers we ALL make fun of ... give us some more joke material. You'll make a fool of yourself but thats OK.

You're going to lose!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies