Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:49 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Homosexuals make it people’s business when they keep throwing their sexuality in people’s faces.

Guess what. You don't have a right to not be offended by them. Look it up.

And do get over it. This is a non-argument.

Quote:
Nobody really gives a hoot, cares or even wants to know that you are “here and *****” let alone the ridiculously absurd demand that we accept or let alone get “used to” it. The homosexual would be better served following their own advice of minding their own business first before having the audacity of telling other people what to do.
"You"? I'm a married heterosexual. One does not have to be gay to see that they are being persecuted by bigots.

Then don't get used to it. Who cares. I don't like rap music, but would I think that gives me the right to outlaw it?

Not in this counry, bub.

Just how are homosexuals "telling you what to do?" I live in hope that you can, at some point, provide a logical response on this issue.

Quote:
Really? If the people wanted homosexual marriage as badly as homosexuals seem to think they do we’d have had it long before now and that would be perfectly ok with you.
It would be fine with me, but again, this is an irrelevant point. Equal protection under the law is a constitutional right, which by definition is insulated against the tyranny of the majority.

In 1967, a majority of Virginians believed interracial marriage should be illegal. Did their opinion count when the SCOTUS struck down that law?

Quote:
Instead the people reject homosexual marriage as evidenced by the voters in 31 states so far. The people have spoken. As you have said “case closed!”.

Completely irrelevant.

You really don't get how civil rights work at all, do you?

I bet you'd wise up real quick if it were your own rights at risk. And that is the fundamental difference between people like you, and people like me.

I'm opposed to gays being treated unequally under the law on principle.

Your position is grounded entirely in prejudice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 12:50 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
And I am still waiting for you to explain how some gay's getting married affects your rights.
So you seem to think that I “owe" you an explanation simply because you demand it? I am not quite sure who you think you are but be advised that I owe you absolutely nothing my good man. Perhaps if you would dial back your hostility and self appointed high and mighty morally superior in your own mind attitude a tad you might get an answer someday. Then again perhaps not.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
So you seem to think that I “owe" you an explanation simply because you demand it? I am not quite sure who you think you are but be advised that I owe you absolutely nothing my good man. Perhaps if you would dial back your hostility and self appointed high and mighty morally superior in your own mind attitude a tad you might get an answer someday. Then again perhaps not.

No, it's just a question that I know you cannot answer, because you have no answer.

I don't have to self-appoint my moral superiority on this issue. Your posts do that quite well enough.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
No, it's just a question that I know you cannot answer, because you have no answer.

I don't have to self-appoint my moral superiority on this issue. Your posts do that quite well enough.
What happened to my (your words) underlying bigotry? There you go again with the name calling. Can’t manage a congenial and mildly reasoned discussion on this topic without getting nasty and unpleasant now can you?

Old 03-25-2011, 12:57 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Seems pretty clear-cut.

The supreme court has said that marriage is a right.
Rights, in this country, are given to all without prejudice or discrimination.
The 14th Amendment confirms this.

Henceforth, the right of marriage should be given to any and all couples (2+ persons) of consenting age.

The reasoning of "well, a gay man can marry a gay woman" was a similar argument used during the period of Loving vs. Virginia in which "a black man can marry a black woman". Because that was discriminatory in practice, it was considered unconstitutional.

While race and sexual preference are not the same thing, the basic principle applies.

And the good part is, more and more Americans are actually looking at things from a logical standpoint. Thus, the support for same-sex marriage will slowly, but surely, rise.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:58 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Marriage is not a right and sexual behavior is not a race.
Civil marriage is most certainly a civil right. We are a nation of laws. Our laws provide things to people - either protections, benefits, or privileges. Those things - those protections, benefits, and privileges - are collectively called legal or civil rights. These legal/civil rights must apply equally and must be equally accessible to all citizens. That's what our Constitution says.

Take laws protecting us from being murdered. They must apply equally. It would be unconstitutional to pass a law making it illegal to murder Christians, but legal to murder Jews.

Take laws that give us the privilege of driving on state provided roads. Such laws must be accessible to all. It would be unconstitutional to pass a law saying heterosexuals can get drivers licenses, but homosexuals cannot and are therefore banned from the privilege of diving.

Likewise, if we create a set of benefits (legal/civil rights) within the law and call that set of benefits a civil marriage, then that law must be accessible to all. It would be unconstitutional to pass a subsequent law banning homosexuals (or blacks, or Jews, or the left-handed, or the extremely tall, or the infertile) from accessing those civil rights.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,667 times
As the saying goes... "majority rule only works when it comes to individual rights; you can't have nine wolves and one sheep voting on what to eat for supper".

Old 03-25-2011, 01:06 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
If the people wanted homosexual marriage as badly as homosexuals seem to think they do we’d have had it long before now and that would be perfectly ok with you. Instead the people reject homosexual marriage as evidenced by the voters in 31 states so far. The people have spoken. As you have said “case closed!”.

The Constitution overrules the voters. The case is far from closed.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:15 PM

18,403 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:

isn't a back and forth of answering questions what a debate forum is all about?

if the only thing you truly can say about not wanting marriage for gay people is that you think marriage is only between a man and a woman and it would degrade that, than say so. there has to be some reason why you are against gay marriage even if it is bigoted. seems most of the reasons people have on both sides of any issue for not answering a question is because they have no answer that won't make them look bad

Old 03-25-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
What happened to my (your words) underlying bigotry? There you go again with the name calling. Can’t manage a congenial and mildly reasoned discussion on this topic without getting nasty and unpleasant now can you?
I don't think that "bigot" is an inaccurate term to use here. Would you prefer "homophobe" or "guy that really doesn't like gays, because they're gay?"

How would that change the meaning?

You absolutely have the right to think homos are the scum of the Earth.

You DON'T have the right to legislate that prejudice in a way that causes them to be treated differently under the law.

And I really do wonder where all this "marriage isn't a right" business comes from, because there isn't a court in the land that will agree with that.

Not one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies