Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support federal laws on marijuana?
Yes 2 3.03%
No 62 93.94%
Unsure 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:01 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Bingo! I would know I'm a smoker. You want to talk about something that is a b*** to stop???!!! At least you can stop smoking weed without the nasty withdrawl.
A few days of fidgetiness.

I quit cigarettes, after three tries, and none of them were pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 06:04 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Hey now! I work for a living as well! I work 40 hrs a week in sales. I also have a small DJ business, and I am planning to go back to school in the Fall to go into meteorology. I also own a home, and have a wife of almost 11 years and an 8 year old. I guess that debunks another myth; that of pot making you lazy! Let's just say that I wouldn't spark one up and go on a joyride, or go to work like that. If and when I do partake, it's strictly "me" time!
If I drank wine all day long I wouldn't get anything done either.

Pot is easily less harmful than just about any recreational substance, legal or otherwise, except maybe coffee.

If they made it legal tomorrow, I might smoke it but I probably wouldn't go around in public doing it.

Well maybe a few times, just to celebrate.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:12 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,205,104 times
as bob says, legalize it.

Legal with moderate control, somewhere between cigarettes and booze. Tax it heavily if you want.

The benefits; you save enforcement costs, you take millions, maybe billions of dollars out of a black market and receive much of that in new tax revenue, and you effectively put hundreds of thousands of drug dealers out of business overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
For all the Republicans and supporters of small government, do you advocate keeping marijuana prohibition in place?

If so, please tell me how the country you claim is broke and needs to slash spending now can afford to spend billions and billions EVERY YEAR to maintain a policy that was put into place with complete lies by the government (reefer madness, etc).

Next, tell me how the same government that is supposed to "get out of citizens way and let them live their lives" is also supposed to stake out homes and kick in doors, barge in with guns pointed at everyone when the DEA or law enforcement knows the person they are targeting is not dealing with coke, crack, heroin, but simply pot.

Also, let me know why you support police arresting people simply for possessing marijuana when we know that everytime a police officer arrests someone for marijuana (around 220,000 times so far THIS YEAR), that cop is off the street for the rest of their shift, therefore leaving 1 less cop available for real crimes such as theft, rape, murder, etc.

Please tell me how you can say that you support a fiscally responsible government that stays out of people's private lives yet still support marijuana prohibition.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:02 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
If I drank wine all day long I wouldn't get anything done either.

Pot is easily less harmful than just about any recreational substance, legal or otherwise, except maybe coffee.

If they made it legal tomorrow, I might smoke it but I probably wouldn't go around in public doing it.

Well maybe a few times, just to celebrate.

Same here. But then again I don't walk down the street with a beer either, so....

Old 04-06-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
A few days of fidgetiness.

I quit cigarettes, after three tries, and none of them were pretty.

Did you quit cold turkey? I tried using the lozenges, the gum, and even Smoke Away. I REFUSE to use Chantix, because of the side effects. I haven't tried the patch, because my luck, I'd forget that I'd have it on, light a cigarette, and my heart would explode, LOL! I would love to get an e-cigarette and try that. One of my coworkers has one, and he let me hit it, and it was like the real deal. I think I'll get one before the FDA tries to ban them, which I believe that they are.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:15 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,766,140 times
At one time is was illegal in this country to have a farm and NOT grow it on your farm. It was used for such a variety of purposes.

Look at all the money that could be made from it.

The claim that it is a gateway is very unrealistic. The only reason it is a gateway now is because it is illegal and you have to go to a dealer/pusher to get it. In comparison to other addicting drugs, it's cheap. Why would the dealer not want to try and turn you on to something else? It's more profitable for them.

Make it legal and you don't need to see a dealer and you may not be introduced to other drugs.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:45 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,098,661 times
Get rid of all the BS Cigarette taxes and unreasonable DUI police state $$$ scam...

Then we can talk about making "Dope" legal...

There is a reason it's called Dope ya know....

Last edited by Earlyretired; 04-06-2011 at 07:53 AM..

Old 04-06-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Get rid rid of all the BS Cigarette taxes and unreasonable DUI police state $$$ scam...

Then we can talk about making "Dope" legal...

There is a reason it's called Dope ya know....

I agree there. We practically can't smoke anywhere anymore, yet tax the smokers for everything. As for the DUI checkpoints, I truly believe that they are completely unconstitutional! Yes there are those who truly get lit up like a Christmas tree, and shouldn't drive let alone walk. But we've ALL had our share of a few drinks, and have driven, and made it safely. I mean, anymore, one to two drinks and I would probably be considered legally drunk! Which is exactly why I won't go ANYWHERE once I've cracked open a beer! It's just not worth it anymore!

Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
William Randolph Hearst (Citizen Kane) and the Hearst Paper Manufacturing Division of Kimberly Clark owned vast acreage of timberlands. The Hearst Company supplied most paper products. Patty Hearst's grandfather, a destroyer of nature for his own personal profit, stood to lose billions because of hemp.

"In 1937, Dupont patented the processes to make plastics from oil and coal. Dupont's Annual Report urged stockholders to invest in its new petrochemical division. Synthetics such as plastics, cellophane, celluloid, methanol, nylon, rayon, Dacron, etc., could now be made from oil. Natural hemp industrialization would have ruined over 80% of Dupont's business."

…POT IS ILLEGAL BECAUSE BILLIONAIRES WANT TO REMAIN BILLIONAIRES!

True, but the only correction is that billionaires want to remain billionaires! I don't think that they were liberal though. See how our government has our best interest at heart! They lied about the harmful affects of tabacco and lied again about how dangerous hemp is through false propaganda.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,205,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
At one time is was illegal in this country to have a farm and NOT grow it on your farm. It was used for such a variety of purposes.

Look at all the money that could be made from it.

The claim that it is a gateway is very unrealistic. The only reason it is a gateway now is because it is illegal and you have to go to a dealer/pusher to get it. In comparison to other addicting drugs, it's cheap. Why would the dealer not want to try and turn you on to something else? It's more profitable for them.

Make it legal and you don't need to see a dealer and you may not be introduced to other drugs.
When you are dealing with a street dealer you have to hope they are not lacing the weed with drugs that help you along down the path. The only way weed is a "gateway" is when the dealer has something "better" for you and tricks you into moving up.

If weed was legal and controlled, lacing wouldn't occur, and using it as a tool to "deliver" other drugs would not be a problem. The use of these other drugs would likely go down and the consumption of brownies would go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies