Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 11:12 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Well apparently a helluva lot more than we're seeing. I give radioactive iodine to patients on an almost daily basis for diagnostic purposes, and in amounts far, FAR greater than we're seeing till now. It's the half-knowing alarmists who have people as far away from Japan as Austin, Texas (!!!) buying SSKI and Lugol's solution like we just got A-bombed or something. Lighten up; your last chest X-ray was far more 'worrisome' than this non-issue (and even that wasn't anything to sweat over.)
You're not helping this senationalistic troll thread at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 11:21 AM

15,096 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Your tinfoil hat is awaiting you oh, king of nonsense. There is a war on indeed....it's not the INFO war you should be worried about, it's the insane rhetoric you're swallowing hook line and sinker. You're more dangerous to yourself and others w/ your hypocrisy than the Japanese radiation leakage.

Is there a danger? Sure, that's obvious. But the OP's attempt at hyperbole and your extreme over reaction and accusations are more lethal. Mainly to your credibility.

And as far as besmirching...I don't think you know what that word means.
Let's see ....

Besmirch: damage the reputation of:

Hyperbole: exaggerated claims not to be taken literally

Tinfoil Hat term used when a person has no other legitimate counter argument or supporting facts.

Here are the facts:

YouTube - Physicist Michio Kaku Demands Entombment Of Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant

YouTube - Fatal Fallout - The Trailer

Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Well apparently a helluva lot more than we're seeing. I give radioactive iodine to patients on an almost daily basis for diagnostic purposes, and in amounts far, FAR greater than we're seeing till now. It's the half-knowing alarmists who have people as far away from Japan as Austin, Texas (!!!) buying SSKI and Lugol's solution like we just got A-bombed or something. Lighten up; your last chest X-ray was far more 'worrisome' than this non-issue (and even that wasn't anything to sweat over.)
You think this inane nonsense serves some purpose? The only purpose I see is that it provides some additional explanation for why cancer rates are soaring out of control, and mainstream MADNESS otherwise known as "medicine" is now the leading cause of death in the United States.

Oh yes ... I give radioactive iodine to patients on a daily basis ....

Well, we really don't need to get "A-Bombed" now do we? We just need to go to the doctor more often ... have more diagnostic tests .... travel more so that we can pass through the radiation scanners at the airport ... NO PROBLEM !!! When cancer befalls us ... just intensify the radiation exposure through radiotherapy and a chemo cocktail of the most deadly poison that can be concocted.

Oh yes ... be healthy .... take your radiation and call me in the morning.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:42 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
What about children? Thyroid's in Children are what, 100x more sensitive to it than adults? What about drinking it, breathing it, eating it for months?

has a 100 day biological half-life once inside the human body.

Potentially cancer-causing radiation from Fukushima has been encircling the world, traveling quickly on jet streams high in the atmosphere and falling with precipitation like rain and snow. It is already being detected in air, water and milk in some parts of the United States by local and state agencies. For example, San Francisco rain water radiation levels exceeded federal drinking water thresholds by as much as 181 times recently. A radioactive isotope, such as iodine-131, is supposed to have a half-life of eight days. This is inferred to mean that it breaks down quickly, and it quickly dissipates in the environment. However, the 8 day half-life can be a misnomer because radioactive iodine can really persist in the environment for many months and has a 100 day biological half-life once inside the human body.
uhm

didnt the USA do MANY, MANY nuclear tests below and ABOVE ground in the 40's, 50's 60's...and we are not glowing yet

you get more radiation from a cat-scan, then what we are seeing here yet

now if it gets worse....

Old 04-04-2011, 11:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Look..don't worry. The government will just increase the acceptable level limit and then it's ok.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:07 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,325,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
When you say "total effective half-life", you mean the level of radiation drops in half every 7.4 days or it becomes fully dissipated after 7.4 days?
According to the NAS report: even in low amounts, doses are cumulative in the body and this causes irreversible damage.

“The committee concludes that the current scientific evidence is consistent with the hypothesis that there is a linear, no-threshold dose-response relationship between exposure to ionizing radiation and the development of cancer in humans.”

This means that the sum of several very small exposures to radiation has the same effect as one large exposure, since the effects of radiation are cumulative.

--> 'No safe levels' of radiation in Japan - Features - Al Jazeera English

===============
But we're talking minuscule quantities.

You're worse off living in Denver, Co because of all the pitchblende in the local geologic zone and/or from living a mile closer (Denver is 'The Mile High City', after all.) to cosmic radiation than you are by the levels of I-131 under discussion at this point. And yet, people who don't think twice about getting a dental x-ray if they need it lose bladder control over this.

To answer your question , the answer is that the total amount of radiation in your body is effectively reduced by half roughly every week. So it goes from piddling to half-piddling every 7.4 days.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
You're not helping this senationalistic troll thread at all.
If facts won't calm down the Chicken Littles out there what in heavens name will?

Old 04-04-2011, 12:13 PM

296 posts, read 543,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
I would never trust government or media or the "system" to tell us the truth.
Yep! They (the govt) lie about, fabricate and hide information. It's no surprise. Why wouldn't this be anything different. Whether it's a minute amount of radiation or a hell of a lot more than they're telling us, I will always have my doubts and concerns. There is no way I put complete trust in these people. No matter who is giving the information.

...I figure if people are worried enough to buy things that may help lessen or reduce radiation effects than so be it. Hell, maybe they'll be better off than those who didn't take precaution. Ya never know. It's not that far-fetched.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
You think this inane nonsense serves some purpose? The only purpose I see is that it provides some additional explanation for why cancer rates are soaring out of control, and mainstream MADNESS otherwise known as "medicine" is now the leading cause of death in the United States.

Oh yes ... I give radioactive iodine to patients on a daily basis ....

Well, we really don't need to get "A-Bombed" now do we? We just need to go to the doctor more often ... have more diagnostic tests .... travel more so that we can pass through the radiation scanners at the airport ... NO PROBLEM !!! When cancer befalls us ... just intensify the radiation exposure through radiotherapy and a chemo cocktail of the most deadly poison that can be concocted.

Oh yes ... be healthy .... take your radiation and call me in the morning.
Uh....cancer death rates have been going down steadily since the 1990's.

Cancer death rates in the U.S. continue to decline, national report finds - 2011 Press Releases - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (http://www.dana-farber.org/abo/news/press/2011/cancer-death-rates-in-the-us-continue-to-decline-national-report-finds.html - broken link)

I guess this means that, heaven forbid, someone should contract cancer radiation therapy is out of the question, eh?

Old 04-04-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Look..don't worry. The government will just increase the acceptable level limit and then it's ok.
Oh how true ....

YouTube - EPA Set To Increase Radioactive Release Guidelines! This Must Be Stopped! - PAGs

The EPA have found new evidence that "Sheep" have an exceptionally higher tolerance to radiation than was originally believed. This seems to coincide with the decrease in the capacity to recognize blatant frauds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies