Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 12:22 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I have an opinion and suddenly I'm "not well informed" .. epic

Back to the topic at hand ..

"Does homophobia really mean hating gays?"

um .. NO .. Homophobia is a word that gets thrown around by those who would act out irrationally when someone doesn't agree with the gay agenda.

Every time I see the word itself, I can already bet that I'll be treated to an array of unscientific rhetoric .. by people who would jam the word down the throats of others because their opinion is so much more important.

Homophobia has come to mean that the discourse should never be taken seriously .. or even at all for that matter.

Homophobia, not too unlike the word racism, has been overused and abused, by so many agenda driven hardheads, that it's lost it's impact .. it's a watered down element in the bowl of irony .. it's a worthless thing and should be left to it's muse.

The arguments are as old and tired as the arguments for global warming .. no science, no facts .. just feelings and wishes from people wanting acceptance, but yet unwilling to accept the opinions of others on the matter ..

The funniest part of this whole thing is that both straights and gays wander around in the dark, looking for answers .. here's a bit of news .. Gays are just as clueless as straights are when it comes to the choices of the human race ..

Not "suddenly". You have yet to support your "opinions" with any evidence other than it's what you "think or feel".

Are All opinions "equal"? Are those opinions that are based in prejudice and ignorance with no evidence to support them, equal to those opinions which are evidence-based?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
um .. attraction is "learned" ..

According to Rowland Miller's Intimate Relationships text, the propinquity effect can be defined as: "the more we see and interact with a person, the more likely he or she is to become our friend or intimate partner." This effect is very similar to the mere exposure effect in that the more a person is exposed to a stimulus, the more the person likes it; however, there are a few exceptions to the mere exposure effect.

The mere exposure effect, also known as the familiarity principle, states that the more we are exposed to something, the more we come to like it. This applies equally to both objects and people (Miller, 2006). The social allergy effect occurs when a person's annoying habits grow worse over time, instead of growing more fond of his or her idiosyncrasies.

I'm of the opinion, after reading many different opinions and articles on the subject, that being "gay" is a learned behaviour ..
Miller is not referring to sexual orientation. You would know that if you had actually read the book you cited, instead of quote mining from wikipedia.

There is a huge difference between likes and dislikes about a person's habits, and being attracted to a different gender entirely. It appears you haven't read much at all on the subject if you seriously think homosexuality is a learned behavior.

Please...I'd love to read all the supposed articles you've read that conclude homosexuality is a learned behaviour. Could you please list at least a few of them?

Last edited by Ceist; 04-09-2011 at 01:03 AM..

Old 04-09-2011, 12:40 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Miller is not referring to sexual orientation. You would know that if you had actually read the book you cited.

There is a huge difference between likes and dislikes about a person's habits, and being attracted to a different gender entirely. It appears you haven't read much at all on the subject if you seriously think "gay" is a learned behavior.
He refuses to read the scientific and professional links other posters provide; yet provides NO links and/or citations to verify his agenda!

It's just the typical homophobic responses!

Old 04-09-2011, 02:48 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
Quote:

The trouble with gays is that they have "a feeling" .. not much to go on really, as it can't be looked at through the microscope, or diagnosed as anything more than just a feeling.
So can I ask you if your "heterosexuality" is a feeling also? It should be by your standards.
The ""feeling" you are mentioning is called human sexual attraction and that really can't be changed Gay or Straight!

Old 04-09-2011, 04:04 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Homophobia is your side's word defined as your side has seen fit to define it and for your side's own purposes. What exists, according to your definition of your new word, is a flaw in the character of others which prevents them from embracing your "correct" values. Your side has taken to the public schools to help the rest of us raise our children without transmitting this character flaw of intolerance of all things gay. Your side has gone to the state's supreme courts to overturn the expressed will of the voters. In other nations such as Canada and Switzerland, the lack of our First Amendment protections has allowed publicly expressing disapproval of homosexuality to be made a jailable offense.

Do tell us all about intolerance nimchimpsky.

"I am posting this thread because I hear a lot of people saying things like "homophobia doesn't mean hating gays, it just means disagreeing" or "you can't compare the gay rights movement to the civil rights movement because getting married isn't a fundamental right", and so I want to give people a more accurate picture of what the gay rights movement is about."

As though we who oppose same-sex marriage were incapable of clear and coherent thought.

As though you who wish to transform societies sexual norms and definition of marriage and family couldn't simply be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
That is total ignorant BS... Expressing disapproval of homosexuality is NOT a crime in Canada...Inciting people to violence against anyone homosexual or not is.

I don't think you are, because you know little about the subject.

Homosexuality IS normal for some, and we are not wrong. Nobody is going to change YOUR definition of marriage and family...It will have no effect whatsoever on you or your family

Section 319

(1) Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace is guilty of

(a) an indictable offense and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or

(b) an offense punishable on summary conviction.

Willful promotion of hatred
(2) Every one who, by communicating statements, other than in private conversation, willfully promotes hatred against any identifiable group is guilty of

(a) an indictable offense and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or

(b) an offense punishable on summary conviction.

CBC News Indepth: Hate Crimes

Good and decent people in Canada and elsewhere are dragged into court for expressing disapproval of homosexuality. There, they have to prove themselves innocent of not crossing a highly subjective and poorly defined line between protected religious or private speech and publicly promoting hate (whatever that means) of an identifiable group.

Hearing begins for Canadian pastor who wrote anti-gay letter

CULTURE NEWS: Canada: Pastor Found Guilty of Hate Crime

Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin - Telegraph

Swedish Pastor Sentenced to Month in Prison for Preaching Against Homosexuality | LifeSiteNews.com

"Homosexuality IS normal for some, and we are not wrong. Nobody is going to change YOUR definition of marriage and family...It will have no effect whatsoever on you or your family."

What is normal cannot be one thing for one group and something else for another unless the word has no meaning. You also cannot change the meaning of the word marriage which is currently defined as a union between one man and one woman to include same sex unions without changing the meaning of that word. Taking the meaning away from the word "normal" and redefining "marriage" is the means by which gays hope to co-opt the normalcy and respectability provided by marriage to the detriment of those who have built their lives and most treasured personal relationships around the institution which is defined by that word.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Good and decent people in Canada and elsewhere are dragged into court for expressing disapproval of homosexuality. There, they have to prove themselves innocent of not crossing a highly subjective and poorly defined line between protected religious or private speech and publicly promoting hate (whatever that means) of an identifiable group.

Hearing begins for Canadian pastor who wrote anti-gay letter

CULTURE NEWS: Canada: Pastor Found Guilty of Hate Crime

Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin - Telegraph

Swedish Pastor Sentenced to Month in Prison for Preaching Against Homosexuality | LifeSiteNews.com

"Good and decent people" don't go around deliberately inciting hatred and violence against other people.
Quote:
"Homosexuality IS normal for some, and we are not wrong. Nobody is going to change YOUR definition of marriage and family...It will have no effect whatsoever on you or your family."

What is normal cannot be one thing for one group and something else for another unless the word has no meaning. You also cannot change the meaning of the word marriage which is currently defined as a union between one man and one woman to include same sex unions without changing the meaning of that word. Taking the meaning away from the word "normal" and redefining "marriage" is the means by which gays hope to co-opt the normalcy and respectability provided by marriage to the detriment of those who have built their lives and most treasured personal relationships around the institution which is defined by that word.
It would be "normal" for you to pee standing up, but not for me.
How does that change the meaning of the word "normal"?

You used the phrase "currently defined" which suggests that you are aware that the meaning has been defined differently in the past.

Marriage was also a man and several wives. Kidnapping virgin girls from another tribe. A property agreement between a father and his daughter's future husband. Having sex then agreeing to live together etc. Marriage meant a man could rape his wife with no legal consequences.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:46 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,593,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I am posting this thread because I hear a lot of people saying things like "homophobia doesn't mean hating gays, it just means disagreeing" or "you can't compare the gay rights movement to the civil rights movement because getting married isn't a fundamental right", and so I want to give people a more accurate picture of what the gay rights movement is about.
omg there are 100+ posts in this thread. i don't want to read all of them so i'll only respond to you. the word phobia means fear. but in today's world i think homophobia does indeed mean 'hatred' of gays. jmho. i think a better term is needed for the modern world such as GLBT-discordant or GLBT-averse (just some examples). the 1st label for someone who does not agree with most gays on key issues but does not hate GLBT people; and the 2nd label for someone who prefers to have as few gays as possible in his/her life but does not hate GLBT people.

Last edited by grimace8; 04-09-2011 at 06:43 AM..

Old 04-09-2011, 06:44 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,736,669 times
Quote:
Were you born blind? .. be specific

Using the "blind" argument is a fail .. Eyesite can be repaired ..

Your argument is an epic fail. You are trying to deny someone the same logic you used in an earlier post. It's a valid point and you know it.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
omg there are 100+ posts in this thread. i don't want to read all of them so i'll only respond to you. the word phobia means fear. but in today's world i think homophobia does indeed mean 'hatred' of gays. jmho. i think a better term is needed for the modern world such as GLBT-discordant or GLBT-averse (just some examples). the 1st label for someone who does not agree with most gays on key issues but does not hate GLBT people; and the 2nd label for someone who prefers to have as few gays as possible in his/her life but does not hate GLBT people.
How about homo-odio?

Latin word for Dislike Strongly: Odio - Latin Word List

Or just plain "bigoted"

Old 04-09-2011, 07:41 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,124 times
How about calling people, who believe homosexuality is wrong, NORMAL? That's what we were called up until the last 20 years or so.

Sex was made pleasurable for procreation. Use all ya'lls psycho-babble you want to, you are still wrong. Everything ya'll say in support of homosexuality is true in adultry, and it is wrong too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies