Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 08:06 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,145,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
EXACTLY : the "EASY" solution.

Do the hard work and don't end up pregnant if you don't want to be. Or are people too stupid to "get it"?

Depends on your mistake. Might be the IRS, the local government, a bank, a jail...

The point is that pregnancy is preventable. Use birth control and if you don't have any "handy" ....control yourself.

Sex has a few outcomes: disease and/or pregnancy. Condoms + all forms of female contraceptives can be used "together" to prevent a pregnancy.

It's not that hard of a concept to grasp.
I have always said that a woman should control her body to prevent pregnancy, she should not lose that control if she becomes pregnant.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:08 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,437,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I would like to bring this excuse into a discussion.
In my mind it was your body when you allowed a man to put his seed into your body. We all know what happens next, you will either skate on by or become pregnant. IF you allow this to happen to YOUR body and become pregnant, there are 2 extra people that have dibs on your body. One is the baby because it is now his home for awhile and the other is the man that was allowed in because now HIS baby is in your body.
I just can't see how the women can use the excuse that it is HER body once she made the mistake to allow others into it.
Just wondering.
How about rape? How about if the mothers life is threatened? How about if the baby is going to die shortly after birth from a severe birth defect that could endanger the mother?

And as always, I bet you are against further sexual education in schools, and the expansion of making contraceptives available without a doctor, or having to go through an authority figure to get them?

I always find it funny that the anti abortion crowd is also against birth control, as birth control would have more effect on abortion than simply saying "don't have sex", which is really an asinine idea if you think about it. Billions of years of instinct, every fiber of your being, your job, everything you do is designed to increase your chances of having sex, and furthering your genes to the next generation.

As it always comes down to, if you don't want an abortion DON'T GET ONE. Don't tell other people what they have to do with a child that could hurt them, or was forced upon them. Don't tell other people not to have sex, don't have sex yourself.

What made this country great was worrying about your house, what you did, and leaving everyone else the hell alone. A baby doesn't have a brain until close to the end of the first trimester, they are not alive, no more than the other countless fertilized eggs with your monthly cycle.

Over 70% of fertilized eggs never make it to the womb wall, and die.

LIFE DOES NOT BEGIN WHEN A SPERM GETS ITS TAIL CUT OFF BY THE EGG!

Really people, learn something about human biology. Also, life isn't black and white, most of life is gray. If you can't walk in the shoes of someone else, then you shouldn't pass judgement on them. Remember, "judge not, lest ye be judged"

Old 04-11-2011, 08:10 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,899,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
You know, many of the people who insist on a woman having no right to abortion, think as well that you should not fund early childhood programs. Where is the disconnect there? So I guess instead of allowing a woman to choose you would submit that they have a poor single mom birth a baby and let him grow in a horrible situation full of poverty and lack of direction. I don't understand why you insist on placing these women in difficult situations and do not believe that you should help them if they "do the right thing" and have the baby. More rediculous rhetoric from the right with no thought given as to how to properly handle a situation.

I would not personally want to participate in an abortion, but it is not my right to suggest that someone else shouldn't. Particularly when that person will probably have a baby that will be a burden on the very system that neocons seem to hate. Generally men aren't fighting for these babies, and in fact tend to pressure their significant others to perform the abortion. This is a particularly rediculous argument.
Exactly.

So many of the people (not all, but a vast, vast many) who believe abortion should be outlawed also seem to be against the very assistance programs that give a young, single pregnant woman hope for raising a child, and are more than happy to do things like deny teachers contracts and cut public education budgets before all else - things that, again, would offer some hope to a woman in this situation. Or, what about a comprehensive change to the adoption/foster care regulations? I hear few anti-abortion folks talk about this. It seems, often, the message is like this:

Anti-Abortion: "No, don't kill your baaaaaaaby! It's murder. You're killing your own child... you need to have and love and hold that child, cherish it... it's a precious gift!"
Young Woman: "Okay, you're right... I went ahead and had my baby... things are really tough though, I'm having a hard time holding down a job and caring for her, and it's tough to come up with food and rent -"
Anti-Abortion: "What, you want a handout? Psh, not my fault you're a ****. Keep your legs shut next time. I'm not raising your kid for you."

The support dies when the kid is born.

Until the anti-abortion movement can come out and say, "we don't support abortion; we support this and this and this to encourage women to keep their children," I can't stand with them.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:12 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,283,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That's REALLY what it comes down to, huh? People want to dictate to other people about when and why they can have sex. Unless you're married and wanting to get pregnant, no sex!!!!! NO SEX! NONE! Don't touch each other, don't think about touching each other, don't think about thinking about touching each other! SEX is bad!!!
No, what it comes down to is have all the sex you want to. If you DON'T want to end up pregnant, use birth control.

And since it tends to be everyone who has ever had an non-therapuetic abortion had their birth control "fail them", because, you know, it's not 100% effective (or 200% effective if you double it up) - they should ABSOLUTELY get on the backs of the companies selling the BC they USED and figure out what went wrong? How did it fail THEM? While those who properly use the same BC (as in USING IT) don't have those same rate of failures.

Directions not specific enough?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:17 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,667,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
is it such a hard concept to grasp that birth control fails and an abortion is not an easy choice? guess so
Hold on, you don't think there is anything wrong with a first trimester abortion right? You don't view the baby inside the mother's womb as I do, you view it as a fetus, again am I right? So why is it not an easy choice than for a woman who doesn't view abortion as wrong to get an abortion than?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:18 PM

18,418 posts, read 19,075,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
No, what it comes down to is have all the sex you want to. If you DON'T want to end up pregnant, use birth control.

And since it tends to be everyone who has ever had an non-therapuetic abortion had their birth control "fail them", because, you know, it's not 100% effective (or 200% effective if you double it up) - they should ABSOLUTELY get on the backs of the companies selling the BC they USED and figure out what went wrong? How did it fail THEM? While those who properly use the same BC (as in USING IT) don't have those same rate of failures.

Directions not specific enough?
so what if someone doesn't use BC or used it wrong. it is still none of your business.

not every body that has sex is responsible, they never will be responsible. seems like a selfish idea to want children to be born to drug addict hooker mothers just to live a life a sh*t and keep the cycle going as well as draining our social services for the next 18 years.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 PM

18,418 posts, read 19,075,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Hold on, you don't think there is anything wrong with a first trimester abortion right? You don't view the baby inside the mother's womb as I do, you view it as a fetus, again am I right? So why is it not an easy choice than for a woman who doesn't view abortion as wrong to get an abortion than?
I have no problem with first trimester abortions. I view the fetus baby for what it is. I don't care what name you wanna put on it. it is a hard choice for lots of women because as I have said a million times....women are not stupid, we know what abortion is.

how a woman feels about abortion personally is on her. abortion is a hard choice as is giving birth to an unwanted pregnancy to raise or giving it up for adoption.

27,073 posts, read 11,921,416 times
OH HOTHULAMAUI!

It amazes us, does it not, that there are those that think in such rigid and/or insensitive, ignorant ways:

a. that birth control NEVER FAILS.....while bc measures have improved over the years, NONE are 100% effective!

b. that even if a woman ends up pregnant, and chooses abortion, she does so with what...........Glee? Joy? A shoulder shrug?????

Get real, people. Most likely there is a feeling of profound fear or misplaced shame, lonely pain, or even despiration most of us could never imagine...and a very painful and difficult decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
is it such a hard concept to grasp that birth control fails and an abortion is not an easy choice? guess so

4,426 posts, read 5,927,215 times
wearing a condom doesn't mean the man's seed was welcomed into the woman's body.. but oops the condom broke.. it's in there now.. too bad.. have the baby! whatever...

Old 04-11-2011, 08:27 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,437,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
wearing a condom doesn't mean the man's seed was welcomed into the woman's body.. but oops the condom broke.. it's in there now.. too bad.. have the baby! whatever...
Its not that they want people to wear condoms....

They just don't want people having sex, unless married, and for the purposes of having children only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies