Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these would you eliminate, or almost eliminate?
ATF 33 29.73%
DEA 41 36.94%
FEMA 26 23.42%
Indian subsidies 47 42.34%
Farm subsidies 64 57.66%
GM and other corporate bailouts 83 74.77%
Foreign aid 74 66.67%
Dept of Education 54 48.65%
EPA 35 31.53%
Funding for arts like NPR 57 51.35%
ObamaCare 60 54.05%
DHS 41 36.94%
HUD 45 40.54%
DOT 22 19.82%
EEOC 35 31.53%
AIDS funding 42 37.84%
Wind and Solar energy subsidies 41 36.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:20 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What exactly did that refer to?
What is not regulated???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 02:26 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
I would start with farm subsidies and Obamacare - the biggest recipient of farm subsides is going to corn now, there is no reason to be paying them to grow or not to grow food or manipulate prices. Some of you ***** about the mediocre subsidies going to oil companies, ethanol costs more to produce than oil, and it's subsidized as food. This is another way to funnel money to corporate favorites, like Monsanto and Cargil.
None of these will matter, if we don't get the big entitlements under control, social security and medicare.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I would start with farm subsidies and Obamacare - the biggest recipient of farm subsides is going to corn now, there is no reason to be paying them to grow or not to grow food or manipulate prices. Some of you ***** about the mediocre subsidies going to oil companies, ethanol costs more to produce than oil, and it's subsidized as food. This is another way to funnel money to corporate favorites, like Monsanto and Cargil.
None of these will matter, if we don't get the big entitlements under control, social security and medicare.
Cancelling Obamacare would make the deficit go up.

If you want to do something about healthcare costs, repeal the emergency medical care act that Reagan passed.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:41 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If you want to do something about healthcare costs, repeal the emergency medical care act that Reagan passed.
I understand how that makes costs go up for everybody, but you've got to question the ethics/morality of repealing that.

How did that work before this act was passed? I'm too young to know (born at the tail end of '79).

Old 04-16-2011, 02:48 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
I think we have to differentiate between bailing out a company like GM which is now profitable and Wall Street "corporations" who basically created their own mess.

I'm trying to understand how funding for the NPR is caterogized is "art"! Also what is AIDS funding? The prevention of HIV or the actual care of AIDS infected people? Dubya has funded a AIDS prevention/drug program in Africa which is one of his most redeeming qualities.

Only on CD do you have these type of "Archie Bunker" type polls!

Old 04-16-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I understand how that makes costs go up for everybody, but you've got to question the ethics/morality of repealing that.

How did that work before this act was passed? I'm too young to know (born at the tail end of '79).
Thats why I say you have two choices.

Either A. Cover everyone or B. Cover no one.

The half and half system doesn't work. The reason our healthcare costs are so high now was because government mandated care for all, but didn't pay for it. People don't like Obamacare, but the thing is, it pays for Reagans healthcare system. So now you're seeing what the actual cost is up front, and people don't like it.

I'm actually in favor of a limited, single payer system. I think we should take care of everyones needs medically, and have a secondary supplemental insurance for non life threatening conditions.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:03 PM

Why should we take care of everyone's medical needs and wants, like transgender surgery. No, we need the governmnet off our backs, more competition among providers, so we can choose our own coverage to meet our individual needs. Everybody can get medical care, this is about insurance. If you ask the government to pay for everyone, including illegals , they you take away personal responsibility. You libs are great at telling people to quit smoking, but if my healthcare is covered, why should I? You're going to make me? Then I'm going to tell you what to eat or not to eat.
Butt out.

Quote:
The CBO also recently nearly doubled its initial estimate of the legislation’s implementation costs, to $115 billion over ten years.
In short, Obamacare is barely two months old, and the nation is already discovering what opponents of the legislation argued all along: that it will cost taxpayers far more than expected and send health-care spending into the stratosphere.
Obamacare's Hidden Costs by Paul Howard, City Journal 13 May 2010

Old 04-16-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Why should we take care of everyone's medical needs and wants, like transgender surgery. No, we need the governmnet off our backs, more competition among providers, so we can choose our own coverage to meet our individual needs. Everybody can get medical care, this is about insurance. If you ask the government to pay for everyone, including illegals , they you take away personal responsibility. You libs are great at telling people to quit smoking, but if my healthcare is covered, why should I? You're going to make me? Then I'm going to tell you what to eat or not to eat.
Butt out.
Can you show me where government funds have gone for transgender surgery? There may be cases where someone was born with both sexual orgrans, but not a sex change operation.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:01 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
What is not regulated???
What you eat, what you watch on TV, listen to on the radio, which records/mp3s you buy, who you fall in love with, etc. I don't have time to list everything, would be easier to list the things that are regulated

Old 04-16-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Can you show me where government funds have gone for transgender surgery? There may be cases where someone was born with both sexual orgrans, but not a sex change operation.
You get my drift, I'm talking about elective stuff that has nothing to do with health. Maybe a tummy tuck or stomach stapling are better examples. Anyway, rationing will be a necessity. The decision to do or not to do will be left up to committee, not you, not your doctor. No thanks.
With doctors fleeing the coup, because you are taking their incentive away, you will be left with appointments into weeks, months, or perhaps years away.
Obamacare was supposed to cut the cost of healthcare, it doesn't, the cost goes up, with less in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies