Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Liberal America, Conservative America or Libertarian America: Pick One
I Would Move to a 100% Liberal America 49 26.34%
I Would Move to a 100% Conservative America 37 19.89%
I Would Move to a 100% Libertarian America 87 46.77%
I Would Move to Hills and Be a Lone Survivalist!! 13 6.99%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:25 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times

Advertisements

America won't split.

The rabid right morbidly fears any ideas that differ from their own narrow viewpoint. But America has room for all of us. And contrary to the heated right wing rhetoric, we Americans are not each others' enemies.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:28 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,483,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I feel that in a libertarian nation I might end up drinking water and breathing air tainted with factory pollutants. People will armed to the teeth. So I might as well be in a "survivalist" society for the purposes of this survey - though I like the overall principles of Libertarianism, I would not trust most people under this system.

I would like to live in an ecologically friendly society where scientific progress (but not entertainment technology) rules everything. Where fake businesses without products like "finance" and middleman services do not exist. Where quality of our products is more important than marketing and advertising. Where there are consequences for being lazy or unproductive, but everyone can easily find a role in society. And religion will have no part of politics.

I would not need to trade except for some rare raw materials because my society will be self-sufficient. Our technology will be superior so we will defeat the other nations quickly and take over. Muahaha.

The Liberal Utopia economy would halt quickly. No oil, no cars, no trucks. People trying to move organic products on their bikes. Bikes are still faster than sandals but .....

Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 AM

58 posts, read 87,647 times
What would your nation be like?

I think I'd like a mixed nation. Liberal because I think healthcare and education should be rights. Libertarian because I think people should be able to do as they please.

Education and healthcare/dental would be funded through taxes.

As far as entitlement programs are concerned, people in need would go to charity and if they are still in need, they could get aid for food, but there would be more restrictions than the current system. Cradle to grave welfare would not exist.

All businesses would be required to give employees paid vacation, anyone working over 15 hours on average a week would be entitled to 15 paid days off (3 hours pay). Anyone working an average of 25 hours or more would be entitled to 25 paid days off (5 hours pay). And anyone working 35 hours a week would be entitled to at least 35 paid days off (at 7 hours pay). A work day would consist of 7 hours and the work week would be considered 35 hours, anything over that is up to the employer to decided whether they want to pay overtime. I think productivity would increase if people can enjoy time to themselves and have the opportunity to actually go on a vacation. The minimum wage would be a livable wage and subject to increases depending on inflation.

Everything would be legal, from drugs to alcohol, and prostitution. The age of consent would be 16. There would be no minimum age requirement to consume, it would be up to the discretion of the parent. Many would argue that this is irresponsible. The age for purchasing alcohol and drugs would be 18. No set prices on anything, people can charge however much they want for sex, drugs, and alcohol.

Abortion=legal.
But up until the day before the 20th week of pregnancy.

Gay marriage=legal
Polygamy=legal

Church's would not be forced to perform these marriages but these licenses would be available down at City/Court offices.

Guns would be legal, but there would be some level of gun control. All firearms must be registered and there would be annual or semi-annual background/psychological checks on owners.

Would you trade with the other two new nations or would you not establish diplomatic relations with them?

I would establish relations with the other two nations.

Ten years later: Would the other two new nations still be around or would they have collapsed?

I could see my nation being the first to fall because after typing it up it sounds like a circus. I think a Libertarian nation would be the last to fall out of the three.

Well that was fun..

Last edited by trs810; 04-18-2011 at 09:29 AM..

Old 04-18-2011, 10:59 AM

872 posts, read 1,714,261 times
I'd head to the Libertarian nation. It'd be interesting to watch the liberals destroy their nation as they run out of people to sponge off.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
I'd head to the Libertarian nation. It'd be interesting to watch the liberals destroy their nation as they run out of people to sponge off.
It's weird because there is really no income difference between registered democrats vs republicans. Not sure who is going to sponge off whom.

Money Walks - Pew Research Center

Old 04-18-2011, 11:28 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,789,104 times
None of the above

I'd take the parts of each ideology that is practical, that is shown to have worked or does work, and I'd choose to discard the parts of each philosophy that totally ignores pragmatism and is incapable of adaptation (that is the majority of each one of the types the OP listed).

I'd call the country "Reality".

Old 04-18-2011, 11:35 AM

515 posts, read 368,415 times
libertarian

Old 04-18-2011, 11:45 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,656 times
In all honesty it would likely depend on which nation had the best beaches.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:59 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,483,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
In all honesty it would likely depend on which nation had the best beaches.

Michigan has 3,288 miles of coastline, second only to Alaska in the U.S.

In the contiguous U.S. Michigan has a longer coastline than either the Pacific coast, the Atlantic coast or the Gulf Coast.

Michigan has a Republican Governor.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:06 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,425 times
Move to Europe.

My fear is that "Conservative Nation" would just be prayer in schools and reactionary government for its own sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies