Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Liberal America, Conservative America or Libertarian America: Pick One
I Would Move to a 100% Liberal America 49 26.34%
I Would Move to a 100% Conservative America 37 19.89%
I Would Move to a 100% Libertarian America 87 46.77%
I Would Move to Hills and Be a Lone Survivalist!! 13 6.99%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:35 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,215,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
My guess: the conservative nation would imprison half its citizens on moral issues like drugs and sexuality, and the liberal nation would go broke from trying to support poor and infirmed immigrants who were ignored by the other two nations.

Personally I would want a hybrid liberal-libertarian nation to live in. Get rid of the neo-cons who want to legislate morality so we can discuss fiscal policies.
Sounds like you want GeoLibertarian land.
Dan's geolibertarian home page

Old 04-20-2011, 01:51 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
I will live near the border where all four come together.

You will need water and I will take any one's cash. (or, whatever we use for money)

Old 04-21-2011, 10:52 AM

776 posts, read 1,673,755 times
I voted Libertarian though I have a progressive streak. The stranglehold of the military industrial complex, the Wall Street and oil cartels, the healthcare/insurance monopoly and the record wealth disparity are bleeding the nation's middle class dry. Dylan Ratigan has about the best show I can find on this from a pragmatic non partisan view on MSNBC.

Ironic NYC, Boston, Chicago, DC, Seattle, LA and SF in the post WW2 era were where the most wealth was created, where much of the creative class that fostered so many of the advances in medicine, technology and higher quality of life we had today occured. Progressiveness before the nanny state, demographic shifts, unaffordable RE prices and high taxes took hold or something else? Yet the other extreme is much of rural red America really never participated much the entire time through all these cycles. Very little wealth to redistribute whether in the coastal pacific NW, Appalachia or the rural south. Need a balance or this country would fall even further behind in the future..

We are at a crossroads. Find the next California early on before it became the California of today. Seems places like Austin, SLC and Raleigh are closer to that model these days..

Last edited by JohnVosilla; 04-21-2011 at 11:16 AM..

Old 04-21-2011, 11:24 AM

950 posts, read 1,515,820 times
If it was only between conservatives and liberals than I would choose conservative nation because they are the lesser of 2 evils in my opinion. But since libertarian nation is also an option, I would choose libertarian.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:08 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,095 times
Its seems everybody in here is defining Libertarianism, Liberalism, and Conservatism in their own skewed views. Ideally, Each society would work perfectly fine and the people would be happy in either one. However, that is not the case in the world called reality. In reality, people are individuals who don't fit into any one system. In reality each Country would fail horribly or the people would be unhappy and oppressed. The best government is a mixture of all three and others. Nothing can be 100%. Humans ruin perfect ideas all the time. lol
I think the most important thing to establish is what each one of these Ideas are? Are we talking about Classic Liberalism or Modern Liberalism, Right Libertarianism or Left Libertarianism, and what type of Conservatism (there are a bunch btw). Or is this just a thread discussing the American Bastardization of each one of the ideas?

Old 04-21-2011, 12:18 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,195 times
I look at it on a 2D scale. Liberal or conservative with social issues, and liberal or conservative with fiscal issues.

"Liberal" can be thought of as liberal on both social and fiscal issues (allowing people to live the way they want without 'morality legislation', and allowing the government to tax more and create more social programs and other spending e.g. roads).

"Conservative", in the sense that I get from the OP as it is differentiated from Libertarian, would be conservative on both social and fiscal issues ('morality legislation' and low taxes with less spending on social and other govt programs).

"Libertarian" would be liberal socially, and conservative fiscally (no 'morality legislation' but low taxes with less spending (or none at all)).

Old 04-21-2011, 01:15 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Then you were not paying attention. Because they state it right at the beginning:

If that does not spell out the true definition of anarchy, then every English dictionary on the planet is wrong.
Good afternoon,

Read Section 1.5, Crime and Justice from your link: http://www.lp.org/platform

Quote:
Government exists to protect the rights of every individual including life, liberty and property. Criminal laws should be limited to violation of the rights of others through force or fraud, or deliberate actions that place others involuntarily at significant risk of harm. Individuals retain the right to voluntarily assume risk of harm to themselves. We support restitution of the victim to the fullest degree possible at the expense of the criminal or the negligent wrongdoer. We oppose reduction of constitutional safeguards of the rights of the criminally accused. The rights of due process, a speedy trial, legal counsel, trial by jury, and the legal presumption of innocence until proven guilty, must not be denied. We assert the common-law right of juries to judge not only the facts but also the justice of the law.
Excerpt from 2.0: Economic Liberty:

Quote:
...The only proper role of government in the economic realm is to protect property rights, adjudicate disputes, and provide a
legal framework in which voluntary trade is protected....
This does not seem like anarchy, it seems like limited government to me. I don't see why the Libertarian Party's position is always deemed to be anarchy. Yes there are anarchist libertarians, but that is a philosophy of individuals, not the platform of the Libertarian Party itself.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:35 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,573,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
What would life be like in your new nation?
I do not think the nation will divide, but I do think that pressure will increase on states to redraw boundaries.

Although technically legal permission of the federal government to redraw state boundaries, there has traditionally been a huge resistance against it. West Virginia is one of the notable exceptions in the civil war.

But if Cincinnati wants to leave Ohio and join Kentucky (which already has a significant portion of it's metropolitan area), then I think that negotiations will be smoother in the future.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:41 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I do not think the nation will divide, but I do think that pressure will increase on states to redraw boundaries.

Although technically legal permission of the federal government to redraw state boundaries, there has traditionally been a huge resistance against it. West Virginia is one of the notable exceptions in the civil war.

But if Cincinnati wants to leave Ohio and join Kentucky (which already has a significant portion of it's metropolitan area), then I think that negotiations will be smoother in the future.

I would love to see the great american redoubt come into being.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:58 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,167,021 times
I voted for the Libertarian section. However, in Libertaria, there would be no government public schools. All education would be private. There would also be no unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies