Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:07 PM

950 posts, read 1,515,034 times

Advertisements

Padcrasher if you think the Patriot Act has destroyed freedom in America, maybe you should move to a country that offers more freedom than America. Why do you continue to live in America when big brother is coming to get you ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 09:09 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Only one time did our glorious leaders and their loyal patriotic law enforcement abuse the Patriot Act.

Only one time they tell us.

Secretly search the home of Brandon Mayfield, a Muslim attorney whom the government wrongly suspected, accused and detained as a perpetrator of the recent train bombing in Madrid.

Charge, detain, and prosecute a Muslim student in Idaho, Sami al-Hussayen, for providing "material support" to terrorists because he posted to an Internet website links to objectionable materials, even though such links were available on the websites of a major news outlet and of the government's own expert witness in the case.

Serve a National Security Letter (NSL) on an Internet Service Provider (ISP) so coercive under the provisions of the NSL statue that a federal court struck down the entire statute - as vastly expanded by the Patriot Act - used to obtain information about e-mail activity and web surfing for intelligence investigations.

Gag that ISP from disclosing this abuse to the public, and gag the ACLU itself, which represents the ISP, from disclosing this abuse to the public when ACLU became aware of it, and from disclosing important circumstances relating to this abuse and other possible abuses of the gag, even to this very day.

Investigate and prosecute crimes that are not terrorism offenses, even though it cited terrorism prevention as the reason Congress should enact the law, and cites terrorism prevention as the reason why it cannot be changed.

Good news though, ....they are not going to do it again......they told me so and they are "good people"...
Hmm..Not sure of your source because you didn't provide one. Even if these instances are true, my position doesn't change. You claimed MILLIONS have emails have been intercepted but you can only scrounge up 1 real mishap and these suspect mishaps..Patriot act enforcement appears to have very good record. No part of the criminal justice system in infallable. THere are people in jail today who are innocent, men that have been executed for crimes they didn't commit. Should we never arrest and convict people based on those errors? Of course, we shouldn't.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:13 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Hmm..Not sure of your source because you didn't provide one. Even if these instances are true, my position doesn't change. You claimed MILLIONS have emails have been intercepted but you can only scrounge up 1 real mishap and these suspect mishaps..Patriot act enforcement appears to have very good record. No part of the criminal justice system in infallable. THere are people in jail today who are innocent, men that have been executed for crimes they didn't commit. Should we never arrest and convict people based on those errors? Of course, we shouldn't.
I knew that from the start of this thread.

One more time....Not only do authoritarians not care if the government breaks with law when going after who they deem "bad guys"...you are totally unaware of it happening at all.

Then you gripe about us not jumping to provide you with a list of the abuses?

Why? You don't care anyway!

Old 05-21-2011, 09:18 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,421 times
Quote:
I knew that from the start of this thread.

One more time....Not only do authoritarians not care if the government breaks with law when going after who they deem "bad guys"...you are totally unaware of it happening at all.

Then you gripe about us not jumping to provide you with a list of the abuses?

Why? You don't care anyway!
What list of abuses have you provided, lol. Just 1 documented one has been provided. I don't know where you got that other junk from. I would think with the fervor of opposition that there would be hundreds or thousands but all you bring is ONE. That's it. That's the epitomy of having an irrational fear. The patriot act is law. Who is excatly breaking what? You're free to vote for politicians that don't like it just like the anti healthcare crowd.

You didn't know jack from the start of this thread. I stated my opinion clearly and asked for evidence to the contrary and only ONE instance has been provided. That's it.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:34 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
Quote:
Only one time did our glorious leaders and their loyal patriotic law enforcement abuse the Patriot Act.

Only one time they tell us.

Secretly search the home of Brandon Mayfield, a Muslim attorney whom the government wrongly suspected, accused and detained as a perpetrator of the recent train bombing in Madrid.

Charge, detain, and prosecute a Muslim student in Idaho, Sami al-Hussayen, for providing "material support" to terrorists because he posted to an Internet website links to objectionable materials, even though such links were available on the websites of a major news outlet and of the government's own expert witness in the case.

Serve a National Security Letter (NSL) on an Internet Service Provider (ISP) so coercive under the provisions of the NSL statue that a federal court struck down the entire statute - as vastly expanded by the Patriot Act - used to obtain information about e-mail activity and web surfing for intelligence investigations.

Gag that ISP from disclosing this abuse to the public, and gag the ACLU itself, which represents the ISP, from disclosing this abuse to the public when ACLU became aware of it, and from disclosing important circumstances relating to this abuse and other possible abuses of the gag, even to this very day.

Investigate and prosecute crimes that are not terrorism offenses, even though it cited terrorism prevention as the reason Congress should enact the law, and cites terrorism prevention as the reason why it cannot be changed.

Good news though, ....they are not going to do it again......they told me so and they are "good people"...

Brandon Mayfield got two million dollars for his inconvenience.
I'd like to get "abused" like that.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:29 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,910 times
Quote:
You can vote for WHOEVER YOU WANT. Write in a candidate. Guess what, you can run yourself.
Oh? And anyone beyond the anointed Dems or Repubs has a chance? Hard to do so when those two ugly dogs have corporate media backing and anyone else is written off as a nut or a loon or some other epithet that is commonplace in "journalism" today.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
The Patriot Act does not prevent Americans from eating at certain restaurants or drinking from certain water fountains for example.
Yes, and those are the really important things in life, aren't they? Those two freedoms are what the "terrorists" hate us for.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
What do you have to do with Tigerblood? I was responding to him as the quote clearly indicates.

That makes me suspicious. Are you Tigerblood as well? Turn your password over to me if you have nothing to hide.

Do it! If you don't, the terrorists win.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:19 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
COINTELPRO = patriot act.

Quote:
What civil rights have we lost as a result of the patriot act?

Old 05-22-2011, 03:48 PM

268 posts, read 391,767 times
Quote:
I'm a fairly liberal guy but I've never understood all the whinnig about the patriot act. I've never heard of anyone having any negative personal experiences as a direct result of the patriot act. Has anybody? If you're doing nothing wrong it appears that you'll be just fine which is true for about 99% of the population. It's been in effect for several years and I hear so many complain about it but nobody that's actually been effected by it. It sort of goes hand and hand with airport body scanners and/or pat downs. THe extra 1-2 minutes it takes me to take my shoes and belt off has never caused me any trauma but I hear so many whine incessantly about it. Well, that's until something goes BOOM..Anyway, just my thoughts, flame away at your leisure.

Apparently the Police state indoctrination of the sheeple is working well.
It makes me sick how easily the American people can be scared into giving up their constitutional rights.
Statistically it is far more dangerous to drive a car than to fly yet the sheep hop in their cars without worry. They are scared to death however that a bomb will go off in an air plane because they are brainwashed by the media. Sure, stick your hand down my pants in public. I’m a terrorist until proven innocent right.
The Europeans would be marching on the streets…wait, they already are.

The Pussification of America is upon us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies