Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 12:23 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
American businessmen are not interested in tourists they need people who can speak english and process the orders quickly generally most of their sales are AMERICAN WORKERS AND ITS CITIZENS!
Let me try to understand ....

American businessmen need customers who can process orders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 12:37 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I still amuses me when people arguing about the importance of speaking English write nearly incomprehensible sentences
My English aside, where was I arguing the importance of speaking English?

Old 05-23-2011, 12:44 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You can't because you don't have a point. Providing the reason documented as an excuse doesn't change the fact that such actions are stupid.
Actually I asked you if you had a point and you referred to a series of non-sequitur retorts.

Again you're illustrating your lack of comprehension. It's still a free country so by all means continue.

The reality is that the man has the right to refuse to waste his time trying to decipher incomprehensible babble (yes, from his perspective it is) and you can't provide a single reason why he should beyond your Argumentum ad Ignorantiam (a logical fallacy) that "such actions are stupid." Since the proprietor's patronage and revenue increased, it should be indicative even to the least gifted among us that the move was anything but stupid.

Anyway, I'm done playing with you now. If you have something beside juvenile smarmy remarks and attempts to engage in a battle you're clearly not equipped for then I'll be happy to discuss. If not.... bye.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:50 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Yeah the dude obviously has no right to talk since his sign doesn't show much mastery of English either.

And yeah, his business may have increased, but I largely think it's due to where his business is. Like I said, if he owned a restaurant in a more cosmopolitan town, he'd get an earful, protestors, the whole nine yards. Hell if it happened in San Francisco they'd probably try and put an initiative on the ballot to have him exiled
He'd also get a lot of support. They may not be as outspoken about it as they are in Lexington but he would certainly get it.

This guy sees English is a major part of our identity as a nation just as the Spanish speakers see it as a big part of theirs.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:52 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
With punctuation if possible
Feigned indignation has no time for punctuation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
My English aside, where was I arguing the importance of speaking English?
I apologize if I misunderstood this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I wonder how well is needed? How hard is it to order a burger and coke...See I just did.

<What would you like?

< Burger and a coke, please...

< What would you like on your burger?

< What size coke would you like?

I assumed you were trying to point out the importance of being able to understand questions asked (in English) during the ordering process.

What was your point, if that was not it?

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Its not a matter of being racist, its business.

did they say certain races are not welcome? No, they said if you don't speak English, dont' try to do business here. Look, most people working in retail are making $10-$12/hour if lucky. competetion is cutthroat, sell or die. its all about selling and commission. Even if the employee isn't on commission, they are expected to meet certain performance metrics. Try doing that with someone who literally doesn't understand a word of English and acts like its all your fault somehow. Hello....no one ever said this is the United Nations, to just walk into a place of business and start babbling in whatever language, then act like you're being somehow wronged because they don't understand you?

Look, I worked in a call center. It was all performance-based, if you didn't maintain a certain sales percentage, you were let go. that's the name of the game. BTW, it was all inbound, meaning the caller called us, not us calling them. I was doing ok, until for some unknow reason I got a spate of no-speak-English callers. They would just call and babble whatever, expecting me to understand them. I lost that job because my statistics dropped (statistics were sales as a percentage of opportunities, every call was considered a sales opportunity). So, I had a decent-paying job which I lost when it was sent to India, got a "survival" job in a call center, then lost it because I can't understand every last language in the world.

I now have another PT phone job, I've learned to get those jokers off the line. Technically we're not supposed to hang up, but I can get around it by saying"I'm sorry, I'm having difficulty understanding you and therefore cannot accurately process your request. Please hang up and call back to establish a better connection" then, click....see, I never said I couldn't understand their language, I simply said I couldn't understand them. Now, how am I supposed to process a call when I can't understand a word the caller says, and he keeps interrupting me ever other second with what, I don't understand?

Look, a business is there to make money, not to cater to the various languages of the world. Either learn enough of the language to funciton, or get someone to help you, I'm sick of these people calling and babbling in some sort of mish mash and its all my fault I don't understand them. So, technically, my "business" doesn't welcome non-English speakers, either, not because of prejudice, but simply because its impossible to transact business without at least some common language and understanding. And before I get beat up on for not realizing its a "global economy' etc, well, it works both ways--try to learn the basics of the language you're transacting in.

Also, ever notice the less they speak English, the more obnoxious they get? They get plain abusive when you don't understand thir mish mash, accuse you of being stupid, not knowing what you're talking about, trying to cheat them, etc. In short, impossible to deal with! So, who needs them

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
He'd also get a lot of support. They may not be as outspoken about it as they are in Lexington but he would certainly get it.

This guy sees English is a major part of our identity as a nation just as the Spanish speakers see it as a big part of theirs.
The only identity I see is discrimination, and hoping that his business continues to thrive while he promotes it.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:57 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
They get plain abusive when you don't understand thir mish mash
"They" and "mish mash"

I see where you are coming from, and am not impressed.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:08 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Its not a matter of being racist, its business.

did they say certain races are not welcome? No, they said if you don't speak English, dont' try to do business here. Look, most people working in retail are making $10-$12/hour if lucky. competetion is cutthroat, sell or die. its all about selling and commission. Even if the employee isn't on commission, they are expected to meet certain performance metrics. Try doing that with someone who literally doesn't understand a word of English and acts like its all your fault somehow. Hello....no one ever said this is the United Nations, to just walk into a place of business and start babbling in whatever language, then act like you're being somehow wronged because they don't understand you?

Look, I worked in a call center. It was all performance-based, if you didn't maintain a certain sales percentage, you were let go. that's the name of the game. BTW, it was all inbound, meaning the caller called us, not us calling them. I was doing ok, until for some unknow reason I got a spate of no-speak-English callers. They would just call and babble whatever, expecting me to understand them. I lost that job because my statistics dropped (statistics were sales as a percentage of opportunities, every call was considered a sales opportunity). So, I had a decent-paying job which I lost when it was sent to India, got a "survival" job in a call center, then lost it because I can't understand every last language in the world.

I now have another PT phone job, I've learned to get those jokers off the line. Technically we're not supposed to hang up, but I can get around it by saying"I'm sorry, I'm having difficulty understanding you and therefore cannot accurately process your request. Please hang up and call back to establish a better connection" then, click....see, I never said I couldn't understand their language, I simply said I couldn't understand them. Now, how am I supposed to process a call when I can't understand a word the caller says, and he keeps interrupting me ever other second with what, I don't understand?

Look, a business is there to make money, not to cater to the various languages of the world. Either learn enough of the language to funciton, or get someone to help you, I'm sick of these people calling and babbling in some sort of mish mash and its all my fault I don't understand them. So, technically, my "business" doesn't welcome non-English speakers, either, not because of prejudice, but simply because its impossible to transact business without at least some common language and understanding. And before I get beat up on for not realizing its a "global economy' etc, well, it works both ways--try to learn the basics of the language you're transacting in.

Also, ever notice the less they speak English, the more obnoxious they get? They get plain abusive when you don't understand thir mish mash, accuse you of being stupid, not knowing what you're talking about, trying to cheat them, etc. In short, impossible to deal with! So, who needs them
Sometimes you need to cater to the customer to make money and, if they speak another language, being able to cater to it gives you a competitive advantage.

Go to Switzerland ... most people speak French, English and German. Go to Scandinavia, most people speak several languages. Same in the Netherlands, etc.

Most businesses adapt to the customer and not the other way around.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:13 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
I don't know if the restaurant in question is a 'sit-down' place or fast food.

Maybe that doesn't matter.

I would just instruct my employees, when confronted by someone who does not speak English, to continue speaking in English. If the non-English-speaking person continues to speak in their language, with no further attempt to communicate their wants (such as pointing to something on the menu), I would have my employees just continue to speak English.

Eventually, the non-English-speaking person should (SHOULD!) just give up and find another restaurant.

If the people who are compaining that 'no one in the restaurant speaks their language', they most likely have been there multiple times and should already know that only English is spoken there. Someone who is just passing through the town would already be gone.

They're just making a stink for the hell of it. Or, they are really dumb.

Last edited by Fox Terrier; 05-23-2011 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies