Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So? The illegals now have the choice of going somewhere else or learning a little English.

Exactly why should someone be required to hire employees of every language of the world to wait on customers who live in this country but refuse to ever learn a word of the language?
Nothing to do with the point I made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yes it is, you don't like it? Don't look at it or do business there. You won't be missed.
Well, I guarantee it that such businesses will not get my dollars. But I was merely pointing at the stupidity that has been preached as a fix to racism by a few simpleton and conniving politicians alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I think it's pretty low, but he has every right to do so (or at least ought to). You can tell on here that at least a few people find it in poor taste, and I'm sure if he tried this in DC, LA, NY, SF, Chicago, Seattle, really any city like that, he'd get a lot of negative publicity for it.
I didn't suggest the business had no right, but that the overly simple idea sold to simple minded people that such businesses would die anyway, and fix bigotry. When the OP suggests the business is actually thriving, regardless of where it is being practiced. Having said that, while I wouldn't spend a cent in that business I would love to visit the business and engage in "English" with the owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 08:30 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I can just imagine the outrage on here if French, German or Italian restaurants refused service to American tourists who could not speak the local language.
"Tourist" does not equal "citizen." Check your dictionary. (To say nothing of "illegal alien."

Old 05-23-2011, 08:31 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Nothing to do with the point I made.

Well, I guarantee it that such businesses will not get my dollars. But I was merely pointing at the stupidity that has been preached as a fix to racism by a few simpleton and conniving politicians alike.

I didn't suggest the business had no right, but that the overly simple idea sold to simple minded people that such businesses would die anyway, and fix bigotry. When the OP suggests the business is actually thriving, regardless of where it is being practiced.
This is NOT racist. All races can speak English OR Spanish. So if a store has a sign that says NO Shoes NO Shirt NO Service, is that racist against poor people who can't afford shoes or a shirt?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
This is NOT racist. All races can speak English OR Spanish. So if a store has a sign that says NO Shoes NO Shirt NO Service, is that racist against poor people who can't afford shoes or a shirt?
Did I say THIS is racist? I simply compared this issue to the fix simpleton and conniving politicians alike have put in front of simple minded folks and bigots alike against racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
"Tourist" does not equal "citizen." Check your dictionary. (To say nothing of "illegal alien."
Are tourists expected to have "tourist" tattooed on their forehead?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Yeah the dude obviously has no right to talk since his sign doesn't show much mastery of English either.

And yeah, his business may have increased, but I largely think it's due to where his business is. Like I said, if he owned a restaurant in a more cosmopolitan town, he'd get an earful, protestors, the whole nine yards. Hell if it happened in San Francisco they'd probably try and put an initiative on the ballot to have him exiled

Old 05-23-2011, 08:50 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I'm not sure the restaurant owner is capable of making that distinction.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:53 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
I do a lot of business over the phone. I always get clients in Miami that don't want a Spanish interpreter (that my company pays for), that isn't good enough... They want to talk to someone in my role that speaks Spanish. When I explain that nobody in my role speaks Spanish, they get angry and frustrated.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I guess "No English No Service" is the new "no colored people allowed", and the business is thriving? So, this is the free market solution that the Libertarians (faux and otherwise) talk about.
This is totally different. Blacks do not have the ability to change their race, non-English speaking people who have made their home in the US are capable of changing their inability to speak English.

Blacks were discriminated against because they were considered inferior...no one is saying that about non-English speaking people living in the US....only that they need to learn to speak English.

I hate these inane comparisons to black people. It's insulting and rarely applies.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:59 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Yeah the dude obviously has no right to talk since his sign doesn't show much mastery of English either.

And yeah, his business may have increased, but I largely think it's due to where his business is. Like I said, if he owned a restaurant in a more cosmopolitan town, he'd get an earful, protestors, the whole nine yards. Hell if it happened in San Francisco they'd probably try and put an initiative on the ballot to have him exiled
Perhaps his patronage increased when word spread that his personnel spoke English and that there was a reasonable chance of patrons getting to eat what they actually ordered?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
This is totally different. Blacks do not have the ability to change their race, non-English speaking people who have made their home in the US are capable of changing their inability to speak English.
It DOES NOT MATTER. Bigots find their way. In a (supposedly) free country, if you discriminate regardless of the reason you come up with, you're going to be called out. If you hate comparisons to bigotry from the past, don't mention it but learn to digest the fact that others disagree with you on that too.

You're welcome.

PS. I doubt "black" was the only color to the colorless folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies