Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 09:12 AM

315 posts, read 366,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No you don't. Read further in that wiki link. Germany, Italy, South America..all had different flavors. Fascism doesn't have a solid, rigid definition.

Going by history...Germany denounced religion while Italy eventually embraced it. Both were under fascist regimes.

From your wiki link:
"Movements identified by scholars as fascist hold a variety of views, and what qualifies as fascism is often a hotly contested subject."

Just because it didn't happen in the past under fascism doesn't mean it cannot happen in the future. Fascism and religion is one example from history.
I can accept that it's a flexible definition.

But I can't make it bend far enough that it fits teaching kids diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 09:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitMage View Post
I can accept that it's a flexible definition.

But I can't make it bend far enough that it fits teaching kids diversity.
Hitler got kids to turn in their parents (one example) and the kids believed they were doing the right thing.
Education/school is the perfect breeding grounds to change perception.
Mold the minds the way you want them as the kids are young enough.

Adults are set in their ways; kids are not and are open to accepting new beliefs.

My example is way out there and I'm not directly comparing diversity education to German education under Hitler but just to show that young minds can be controlled and their belief system can be changed.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:18 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
There is more than 2 ways to reproduce in nature? I'd like to know what others there are besides asexual reproduction and heterosexual reproduction. I think those are the only two right?
Some species have more than two sexes.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Some species have more than two sexes.
Are you talking gender or sex ?

Old 05-27-2011, 09:23 AM

315 posts, read 366,721 times
Quote:
Hitler got kids to turn in their parents (one example) and the kids believed they were doing the right thing.
Education/school is the perfect breeding grounds to change perception.
Mold the minds the way you want them as the kids are young enough.

Adults are set in their ways; kids are not and are open to accepting new beliefs.

My example is way out there and I'm not directly comparing diversity education to German education under Hitler but just to show that young minds can be controlled and their belief system can be changed.
You know in school we also teach kids that people of different races and religions are still people. We teach them that physical activity is good and healthy. We teach them dinosaurs existed. We teach them the Earth moves around the Sun.

Just because you're teaching a child something does not make it fascism or indoctrination.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:24 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,831 times
Quote:
Are you talking gender or sex ?
Both and i'm not talking about humans. There are bird species for instance with three sexes/genders. Shrimp too.

Scroll down to biology on here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_gender

Old 05-27-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitMage View Post
You know in school we also teach kids that people of different races and religions are still people. We teach them that physical activity is good and healthy. We teach them dinosaurs existed. We teach them the Earth moves around the Sun.

Just because you're teaching a child something does not make it fascism or indoctrination.
Just a piece. Fascism or any *ism doesn't take hold in one area.
It's a slow, piecemeal process.

Anywho..we ended up on a tangent regarding the topic of this thread.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:54 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Some of us do not wish to accept certain lifestyles as normal; that's "intolerant," "ignorant," etc.
Some of you do not wish to accept religion, for example, as acceptable; that's "commendable," "open-minded," etc.

Funny how things change to suit a certain mindset.
Wrong. I am perfectly willing to accept that religion is right for you - that's me being open-minded. It's when the religious types start insisting that their religion is right for everyone and that US law be framed around their religious beliefs that I start pushing back.

So, go right ahead define your own personal "normal," but don't expect those of us who base our definitions on facts, rather than beliefs, to acquiesce to yours.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:32 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Wrong. I am perfectly willing to accept that religion is right for you - that's me being open-minded. It's when the religious types start insisting that their religion is right for everyone and that US law be framed around their religious beliefs that I start pushing back.

So, go right ahead define your own personal "normal," but don't expect those of us who base our definitions on facts, rather than beliefs, to acquiesce to yours.
Let's try this again: That is NOT what I am talking about.

That's lovely that you [say that you] respect my religious beliefs, but if you (you-anyone, not you-specifically) then call them "fairy tales" or "nonsense" you are in fact NOT respecting them. You are mocking them. But then you expect all liberal interests to be accepted with open arms.

That's called "hypocritical."
And that's what I see on this board, quite often.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:17 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
When my son was a wee lad he fell and got hurt. The doctor asked him if Daddy owned Guns.. My son was 8 and told the doctor that I did own guns, and he has one of his own I gave him on his 6th birdthday, a 22 bolt action rifle. My son told me in the car as we were leaving, and suddenly that doctor had a un-expected appointment with me.

My current 2nd wife had tumors that ended up getting her to have a hysterectomy, but that was all mis-diagnosed for years.

Once of the time as we were leaving another missed call, she was called back. I was told to wait in the waiting room again. When she came out I could tell she was real angery. She made the shhh sign.

Once we left she told me they asked if i had beaten her..... Then I was angery.. But I had to get her home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies