Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:03 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
I am Gen Y, early 40s, I consider Gen x in their 20-30's...
Doesn't Y follow X alphabetically, or have they changed that too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 07:23 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
If you really want to gauge the type of generation the boomers were, simply look at the average savings of a boomer in America now that they are nearing retirement...

In one word? Spenders.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:44 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
If you really want to gauge the type of generation the boomers were, simply look at the average savings of a boomer in America now that they are nearing retirement...

In one word? Spenders.
Let's see how much you will have saved after a lifetime of living paycheck to paycheck.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:50 PM

257 posts, read 295,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I'm a Boomer, and I don't "look down on Gen Y" ... nor do I think that my parents' generation was "the greatest generation."

Each generation is faced with difficulties; each has its victories and its defeats; each has its good points and bad.
Here, here! Until reading this thread I did not know there was a generational war. I do know when faced with adversity, some folks dig internally, take responsibility for their situation - deal with it's realities, find creative ways to adapt and eventually succeed. Others portray themselves as the unwitting targets of external events and become victims, blaming others for their misfortunes. I've seen this across all age groups. Isn't our country divided enough? Isn't this why our government is now dysfunctional? The us against thems. Ageist discrimination, racial discrimination, religious discrimination, etc. Do we need more divisions; more ways to blame someone or something rather than looking for solutions. Wow!

Old 05-29-2013, 10:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveHeart01 View Post
Here, here! Until reading this thread I did not know there was a generational war. I do know when faced with adversity, some folks dig internally, take responsibility for their situation - deal with it's realities, find creative ways to adapt and eventually succeed. Others portray themselves as the unwitting targets of external events and become victims, blaming others for their misfortunes. I've seen this across all age groups. Isn't our country divided enough? Isn't this why our government is now dysfunctional? The us against thems. Ageist discrimination, racial discrimination, religious discrimination, etc. Do we need more divisions; more ways to blame someone or something rather than looking for solutions. Wow!
I agree, the problem is I see is people are hypocrits. They always did things better in hindsight but we all had that issue at some point. Every generation has been accused of being lazy at some point and moochers. However we never learn from this and continue this vicious cycle.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
My brother and I are X-ers; my parents are just barely boomers, born at the very beginning of the boomer generation. They do not have the 'boomer mentality', probably because they were raised by immigrants.

My brother and I were raised to be grateful for g-d's blessings and also to be mindful of how fortunate we were. We were raised with the firm notion that it was our responsibility to make the world a better place than we found it. The concepts of tikkun olam and daily mitzvot were drilled into us from an early age, and we were always taught that we had a heavy responsibility as Jews to set an example not only to other Jews but to the world at large of how to live harmoniously with others and with g-d.

Materialism was eschewed; my parents did not take on heavy debt and did not see the point in 'keeping up with the Jones'. They worked hard to teach us the difference between needing something and wanting it. Even when I saved my own money to buy something that my parents considered very frivolous (designer jeans, expensive makeup/perfume, etc.), I was required to give an equal amount of money to charity. So instead of saving up $50 for a pair of jeans, I had to save $100. That really makes you think about whether you need those jeans with the triangle on the butt. (This was in the 80s, when Guess jeans were very popular!)

My friends with boomer parents didn't grow up like that. They got pretty much anything they wanted, and all they had to do was ask for it. Their parents drove around in leased BMWs and Mercedes while my parents drove Fords and Hondas. The difference between them and us was that they were always wanting more. Always. It was never enough. Sometimes I wanted these same material things...wanted them so badly I could taste it...but I knew better than to ask for them because I knew the answer would be no. My friends were spoiled rotten. To this day, they're unsatisfied with what they have. It's never enough. If they have a 4,000 sq ft house and a BMW, they want a 6,000 sq ft house and a Rolls. They are clueless and unhappy.

The later boomers are the ones who gave rise to Gen Y. They are simply products of their environments. If these boomers have a problem with these Gen Y kids, perhaps they should blame themselves for their empty materialism, their lack of values, their near-complete lack of empathy, their narcissism, and their greed. It's their own crappy parenting that produced the generation they're complaining about.

Period.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:26 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
interesting... in my experience I have noticed that boomers are punctual and reliable for showing up, but lack getting everything done in awork day.. and sometimes half-a$$ things to be done on time. Gen x and y on the other hand are not punctual, are terrible for calling in or not showing up but when they do they try to do everything just right that not everything gets done. I notice a lot of OCD in younger people..
I've noticed this as well. Boomers seem to put more of an emphasis on showing up every day and being punctual. Xers and Yers are more task oriented.

Essentially, a BB will work 10 hours per day but bull**** for three of those hours. X and Y will only work 7, but get just as much if not more done.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Baby boomers do not like it that I can do two things at one time, such as check my phone and still get my work done.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:09 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Being a Gen Xer I am between the two generations. I have a preference for boomers over Gen Y. I like boomers politcally as they are more diverse while Gen Y is around 80% liberal Democrat.

But it's reality shows such as Jersey Shore that really turned me against Gen Y. Boomers were just so much more likeable. Of course I am being very general. I'm sure there are many individual Gen Yers I would like and boomers I wouldn't.
The world war 2 generation was the greatest.
Millennials are indeed spoiler and you can thank the boomers for that

Old 02-27-2014, 06:21 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
I think millenials take technology for granted and I wonder how they could function without a smartphone. Many cant read an analog clock or handwrite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies