Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:26 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Because you can read the article. I am merely pointing out for those not familiar with the area that Alameda is a jump, skip, hop away from SF. It's not like the same culture doesn't exist there. I worked in SF and lived in the East Bay and, trust me, Alameda isn't different at all from SF. Same people, same commute to the city (well by those commuting from Alameda). Now talk to me about Marin and I'll have a different opinion or even the south bay.
My bad, I forgot how little concern the right has for facts

WMDs, no WMDs, it's only two silly little letters, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 07:29 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,003,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
The easy thing for the victim to do would have been to not go into the water...

Very public and cry for help? There are suicide posters along the Golden Gate Bridge which, as you know, is famous for suicide. Even if someone jumps, attempts are made (or were made) to rescue.

Compare a jump from the GGB to a guy who simply wades out into the water. Which person is gonna be easier to talk off the ledge?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:29 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,845,038 times
Just FYI: My boat only requires 30" of water depth and there are millions just like it. What I don't get is; how does funding stop you from jumping in when you are already at the banks of the water? I would not be able to live with myself just standing there and watching.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:33 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Back east it's hard to imagine any place small craft for fishing at least, aren't common.

Sailboats are a little slow for rescue ops, but some have dagger boards and or center boards that can be raised. Some of these can be around 28 feet long at the water line.

In truth this is just making the west coast stranger than I thought. I was in Cal once for 18 days and it wasn't anything like anyplace I had been before. I had one friend living there and if not for him I don't believe another soul would have bothered to talk to me, except for other tourists no one from there did.

The east coast is littered with all sorts of small craft.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:47 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Back east it's hard to imagine any place small craft for fishing at least, aren't common.

Sailboats are a little slow for rescue ops, but some have dagger boards and or center boards that can be raised. Some of these can be around 28 feet long at the water line.

In truth this is just making the west coast stranger than I thought. I was in Cal once for 18 days and it wasn't anything like anyplace I had been before. I had one friend living there and if not for him I don't believe another soul would have bothered to talk to me, except for other tourists no one from there did.

Hell somebody out there would have had some small form of flotation device. Forget about the boat. I'm not bragging but I would have never allowed myself to witness that without going out there to help. The firemen were likely screaming and threatening the public to stay back.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:49 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,345,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Hell somebody out there would have had some small form of flotation device. Forget about the boat. I'm not bragging but I would have never allowed myself to witness that without going out there to help. The firemen were likely screaming and threatening the public to stay back.
I would have been ashamed if I didn't try to help...

Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I would have a hard time not doing anything myself. I swim well, took life saving as a swimmer. The problem with me is if I went in the water I would have busted the guy in the chops knocked him cold rescued him and then get sued for being ruthless.

Once I watch a hero IMO rescue a girl from a under ground yellow jacknest. I hardley knew what he was doing at the instant I noticed, but I am not sure I could have done that myself. I fear stinging insects due to getting stung many times at once on several different occasions. Maybe I could... But I don't know I could.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
My bad, I forgot how little concern the right has for facts

WMDs, no WMDs, it's only two silly little letters, eh?
Huh? Do you mean as in right wing? I am about as far left as you are going to find.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

Stop to consider that the Atlantic is a bit tamer that the Pacific.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 PM

LOL and even you can't understand the left it seems..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies