Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:53 PM

974 posts, read 1,588,111 times

Advertisements

I agree Hammer. They could have walked out to him and brought him in. If they were worried about an undercurrent, they could have tied a 10 dollar rope around themselves and had someone pull them in. Sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 12:38 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
This would be a natural out come of Tea Party ideology.

Fire departments funded to the bare minimum.

No fancy "cold water" rescue training or specialized equipment.

Just a water truck to put out grass fires...staffed by volunteers.

I believe this example shows the natural outcome of public employee unions. The SF EMS/First Responders at hand who did nothing but watch were unionized were they not? Volunteers are rarely constrained by "policy". Why not deal in real facts rather than trying to channel fault to the Tea Party where they had absolutely no involvement?

Old 06-02-2011, 12:44 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
I agree Hammer. They could have walked out to him and brought him in. If they were worried about an undercurrent, they could have tied a 10 dollar rope around themselves and had someone pull them in. Sheesh.
Most fire trucks have hoses on them. Even if they didn't have that $10 rope they could have tied onto a fire hose.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:14 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,371,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Most fire trucks have hoses on them. Even if they didn't have that $10 rope they could have tied onto a fire hose.
That type of rescue equipment isn't OSHA approved. The rescuee could get tangled in the rope, strangle and die.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:56 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,837,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Money should have went to fire departments instead of feeding illegals and their litters of anchor babies.
there you go... blame the "huddled masses" that this guy was trying/did commit suicide and people watched from the shore.

There is no indication that this person was so serverely mentally incapacitated, that he no longer understood that there were options other than suicide. I believe once the responders accessed that this person was intent on suicide, then they did not risk their lives to "save" him.

There is also no indication that monies that went to Fire training went to benefits for illegal aliens and their children; but if I had 50K for either trainning firefighters on how to "save" people intent on killing themselves or feeding hungry people, I would gladly give it to hungry folk...regardless of their immigration status.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:37 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
there you go... blame the "huddled masses" that this guy was trying/did commit suicide and people watched from the shore.

There is no indication that this person was so serverely mentally incapacitated, that he no longer understood that there were options other than suicide. I believe once the responders accessed that this person was intent on suicide, then they did not risk their lives to "save" him.

There is also no indication that monies that went to Fire training went to benefits for illegal aliens and their children; but if I had 50K for either trainning firefighters on how to "save" people intent on killing themselves or feeding hungry people, I would gladly give it to hungry folk...regardless of their immigration status.
how much money does it take to get people to just behave decently towards each other, and help someone out in distress?

all those bystanders had a screw loose.

if you aren't willing to help, what the freak is the point of standing around to watch a man die. LOSERS.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:49 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
'Handcuffed by policy': Fire crews watch man die - US news - Life - msnbc.com

isnt this what the tea party wants? scale back government, individual responsibility and rely on yourself instead of government.

i think many tea partiers are naive about that and dont understand the cops and firefighters wont be there to help them according to tea party philosophy. scaling back government means cutting those firefighters and local cops as well, tying hands behind backs with policy cuts.

this guys death is a result of that mentality.

now here is the cold blooded side of me. this guy deserved what he got. he intentionally went into deep waters and was suicidal according to the link.

why risk somebody elses life for your own selfishness.

what im neutral on is the 75 observers who did nothing.

on one hand this guy is his own worst enemy.

on the other hand it shows the lack of compassion for man in todays society.
i guess i could be grouped in the lack of compassion for man category.
How in the world is this getting spun into a Tea Party thing??

Those 75 bystanders could have done just as much as the fire dept. or police could have done. There is no "neutral" about it. I understand why the fire dept could not act but those "innocent bystanders" wouldn't have thought of those factors (possible drug involvement, altered mental status, not being trained or having proper gear, etc.) and could have formed a human chain or something to go out and help him. Or at least try.

In this scenario, I fault the crowed of people who WATCHED HIM DIE. How disgusting.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:01 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
They would have had the budget to go out and engage in authoritarian services? That's what we want? Well, that's certainly what the authoritarians sure want... that we know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
This is not about govt or authoritarianism. This is about a human hurting who even took the time to look at the beach - most likely to see if anyone gave a durn enough about him to help. In that situation, no wonder he drowned himself as no one did care enough to help.
I actually agree with Misty here. If someone wants to die in peace, do it on your own time. Don't do it where there are almost 100 witnesses. Don't do it knowing you're in a place where firemen/police/bystanders *could* conceivably save you. Don't keep looking back to see if anyone will help you. Him looking back and seeing no one helping him probably pushed him over the edge and made him more determined to actually go through with it, unfortunately.

This man did not ultimately want to die, he was in a bad place and he likely purposely chose this area and situation b/c he DID NOT want to die, he wanted someone to recognize him and value him. I know it sounds cliche, but suicide attempts are a cry for help. If you're really serious about doing it, you just take a gun and eat a bullet and get it over with without letting a bunch of people know or making a scene in public.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:05 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
This is not about govt or authoritarianism. This is about a human hurting who even took the time to look at the beach - most likely to see if anyone gave a durn enough about him to help. In that situation, no wonder he drowned himself as no one did care enough to help.
I thought most of the left was for choice. The man made HIS choice.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:07 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
this happening in san fran is irrelevant to my point.

the tea party wants everything scaled back right?
that means local governments, cops, firefighters etc.

a similar argument i couldve brought up was those firefighters who stood in front of a house somewhere and let it burn to the ground due to budget cuts.

the tea party doesnt want government involved but doesnt realize the services local governments provide them. when those services disappear, they will whine and want them back.

they think on a macro level, thats there problem.
What you think is the problem The things you think are not facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies