Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:07 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Stop to consider that the Atlantic is a bit tamer that the Pacific.
In places, our coast is more broken. The winds are generally west to east, but when not, we get nasty Nor'easters.

Where I live we have the worlds worst recored weather, which I simply love. We also have the highest recorded wind speed.
I live very near Mt Washington in NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

5,546 posts, read 10,003,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
LOL and even you can't understand the left it seems..
Oh, ok, what don't I understand? I'll play.

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
No policy would EVER take precedence over a mans life to me...The fact that he could have easily been saved is very frustrating, and I think all those men standing on the shore that watched him die should hang their heads in shame.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:08 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
My bad, I forgot how little concern the right has for facts

WMDs, no WMDs, it's only two silly little letters, eh?
This which is also way off topic.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
No policy would EVER take precedence over a mans life to me...The fact that he could have easily been saved is very frustrating, and I think all those men standing on the shore that watched him die should hang their heads in shame.
I cannot agree with you more and, as a former Californian, I am just so sorry to see this play out as it did. When I lived in the Bay Area I do not think things would have gone down this way, but I left in 2003. Maybe it's a country-wide thing, maybe it's a society-wide thing. But in my 13 years of living in CA I just know I always fit in and always felt like people did the right thing. Of course, now I live in a horrid state where no one does the right thing, so it makes me nostalgic for what I had.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:16 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
This didn't happen in San Francisco - it was in Alameda, CA, which is an island.

My stomach churns as I read a story like this - a disturbed man WALKS into the surf (takes him about an hour to get out to neck deep) while he keeps looking back to shore - they call 911 for help.

Police, Fire Department, Coast Guard, ambulance crews ALL just stand around and discuss how "they can't do anything" (NOT my job), watching this man drown while his feet are still planted on a sandy bottom. A crowd of about 75 people stood and watched this man drown - in an island community. I can't even wrap my head around something like that.

The Alameda City Fire Department states on their website:
Human Resources Department - Firefighter

In 2009 - Budget constraints caused the City of Alameda to do some cut-backs in funding ...... the salary/pension benefits of Union employees (80% of the city budget) were just too much to handle ..... the Fire Department has 'trained' water rescue, has boats ...... but they now don't use them (what do you want to bet that it went in the Union Contract that they would not go into the water). Boats are still tied up at the City docks and one has to supposed that all the 'trained' water rescue folks have forgotten how to swim/rescue in the last 18 months AND that there are NO Union Fire/Police personnel that have any idea how to either swim or walk across the sand to rescue a citizen who was standing on a sandy bottom with his head barely above water.

75 people (mostly citizens) stood waiting for either the Police, Fire Department or Coast Guard (who also has nobody who can swim) watched this man drown. A citizen finally waded out and brought in the dead body when it was clear that no official was willing to do anything at all.

I can't help but wonder how all of them are able to sleep now ....... but not to worry ...... according to the OP of this thread - it's the fault of some strange group called The Tea Party.

Well done California - this country may be way beyond any repair when we read a story like this. It looks like there is no such thing as 'public service' from those we have all counted on - they are for themselves and it's worth noting that the rest of us should pay attention to that.

On the up-side - the Alameda Fire Department Union is in negotiations for another contract with wage/benefits increases in spite of a City that is on the verge of bankruptcy (while they are bringing suits against the City of Alameda to fight paying any of their benefits).

Is this a great country or what? Time to wake up folks, could have been a kid in trouble - wouldn't have made a bit of difference. These clowns would stand a watch - "not my job".
my sentiments exactly.

what the heck is wrong with those people? i guess over there they won't help anybody unless they get PAID for it.

i feel real empathy for a man who clearly wanted to be helped, (which is why he did it publicly and so slowly) but wasn't because he picked the wrong place to do it.

i remember feeling the same disgust when i saw the story on mt. everest, where all those climbers passed by and ignored a dying man because it interfered with their own "summit dreams". i thought that those people were missing the bigger meaning of life and will never understand it, and i think that again with this story.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
I had a friend who was a Paramedic. On his way to work he came upon an accident where people were injured. He stopped his car and rendered aid, when the Emergency vehicle arrived he was returning to his car and was hit by moron talking on his cell phone. The City promptly disowned him since he had not yet reported to work, leaving him disabled and unemployed. It took the Union five years to get him any justice. Where were you guys then?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I had a friend who was a Paramedic. On his way to work he came upon an accident where people were injured. He stopped his car and rendered aid, when the Emergency vehicle arrived he was returning to his car and was hit by moron talking on his cell phone. The City promptly disowned him since he had not yet reported to work, leaving him disabled and unemployed. It took the Union five years to get him any justice. Where were you guys then?
These things must get press or they get nowhere. I am sorry for what happened to your friend.

I had a former BF who was bludgeoned and shot several times 13 years ago. They released all suspects in April. No justice for him I guess. Sad, but true.

The squeakiest wheel gets the grease.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:34 PM

974 posts, read 1,588,111 times
Sometimes you have to ask yourself if it is worth it to save people. I did CPR on a gentleman having a heart attack at a county fair. I cracked a rib while saving his life. He sued me for saving his life. However I would do it again and again. If put in a position to save a life, I will do it. Some people won't for fear of litigation.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
I don't get it. The guy was in what, 5 feet of water?

Slap wetsuits on two strong swimmers, give them kickboards, flippers, and a syringe filled with a fast active sedative. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to bring the guy in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies