Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 12:44 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times

Advertisements

[quote=jdevelop2;19431062]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
yeah I'm guilty of doing this occasionally. I try to throw them in to the trash when possible, but if there ain't one nearby I'm not gonna carry it around. My university does a good job of accommodating smokers though. We have little "smoker's poles" in front of high-smoking areas like the student union, library, the art-sociology buildings (lol) and whatnot. And a lot of trash cans. Sadly there's still quite a bit of cigarette litter, inconsiderate bastards are gonna ruin it for the rest of us.

I do use an ashtray when I'm in a car though.[/quote]

Quite the contradiction.
I throw away my butts when there's reasonable accommodation. Trash cans, smoker poles, etc. My university has a lot of them and I practically always use them. I've seen plenty of smokers who are standing right next to those trash cans or smoker poles just drop their butts on the ground. That's why I'm saying they're gonna ruin it for the rest of us who, when able, dispose of our butts properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 05:49 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
As I posted in my last thread .. The guy will do this kind of crap one day and .. He'll wonder Why in the Hell he's in the slammer!
Someone drops something out of their car. I pick it up, say "You dropped this" and give it back to them. THAT'S the crime that's so horrible to you people while littering in its most insidious and prevalent form ISN'T?

My God, I'm on planet HTRAE where everything is backwards....!

It's been my conclusion for some time now that American society has passed a major threshold. It is now indeed considered more rude to point out rudeness in others than it is to be rude in the first place. Dropping a cigarette to the curb is rude but giving it back to the dropper or complaining about it is almost code red nuclear. How many of you who oppose what I did are smokers? Isn't that why you're so angry? There's no logical reason to explain your emotion. Edit: rereading my original post in this thread, I can partially understand other people's concern, but all I did was hand it to her, tell her she dropped something, and in doing so, my arm went into her open car window. She wasn't upset about it until SHE dropped it onto her carpeting, not me.

Throw your butts away properly. That's all I'm saying. If you oppose that, enjoy swimming in the tons of debris you leave behind for your children's children's children.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 06-03-2011 at 06:07 PM..

Old 06-03-2011, 05:56 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
i shall

Old 06-03-2011, 06:03 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
That is interesting about the cig butts.

As for litter in general: I well recall during the late 1950s and into the 60s that it was literally a common practice for people driving down the street to toss trash out the window. The practice was so widespread that it resulted in that rather famous and, as it turned out, effective public-service television commercial showing an American Indian standing by the side of a road, watching as someone in a passing car tossed out a bag of trash, with the final scene being a tear streaking down his cheek.

Of course, plenty of people still litter, but as I drive down the various highways and byways I often think about how much improved it is.
It gives the DUI folks sometin to do.
There is some beautiful pristine property right next to our Walmart, where I like to take our dogs for a hike. I usually come back with armloads of white platic bags that have blown into the brush and the trees. I do recycle the plastic bags tho. I'm also hoarding them, for the day they ban em.
I have some of those burlap bags in my car, but I never remember to use them.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:17 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Someone drops something out of their car. I pick it up, say "You dropped this" and give it back to them. THAT'S the crime that's so horrible to you people while littering in its most insidious and prevalent form ISN'T?

My God, I'm on planet HTRAE where everything is backwards....!
Let's get Real here.
These were your own words:
"I saw a car passenger toss a butt out of the car window as it sat waiting to get out of a bank driveway and onto a busy street. I picked it up and stuck it in the face of the passenger of the car, with my arm coming in through the car window. She was so surprised by my actions that she genuinely wondered what it was that she lost and then promptly dropped the still lit cigarette which made her frantically try to find it so it wouldn't burn the carpeting. I've been also known to tell gang members to pick up the bottle or garbage they leave on the street. I'm shameless, stupid, and I must have a death wish or something, but, you know what? I'm RIGHT!"

According to the way you had formally put it .. You didn't just hand it to someone .. did you?

You wanted us to believe that you were "Being Tough On Crime" and Showing, forcefully these people the error of their way!

In fact, You were breaking the law, (burglary, assault maybe even battery) and if any LEO worth their salt had seen this confrontation .. You would be 'tweeting' from a cell block!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:05 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No, but you shouldn't just address the ones that irritate you.

I''m not a smoker, but I find that most people who take up the pollution issue are dis ingenious. They aren't interested in pollution so much...just hate smokers and you don't find them pursuing any other types of pollution.

I do not hate smokers, I hate the filth carelessly thrown just about everywhere......also sucks having to breathe vile filth.

And ALL litter ticks me off.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:17 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I think you're stretching it a bit. Are there really throngs of smokers hanging outside the mall where you live? I can sit in plenty of areas without breathing in smoke. I live in the Rust Belt and I think there are probably a higher percentage of smokers here than in Cali.

Yes, all of the smokers take over the patio areas at just about any coffee shop with one. Malls, yes I hate going to outdoor malls, I hate breathing the filth of craven addicts.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:17 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Let's get Real here.
These were your own words:
"I saw a car passenger toss a butt out of the car window as it sat waiting to get out of a bank driveway and onto a busy street. I picked it up and stuck it in the face of the passenger of the car, with my arm coming in through the car window. She was so surprised by my actions that she genuinely wondered what it was that she lost and then promptly dropped the still lit cigarette which made her frantically try to find it so it wouldn't burn the carpeting. I've been also known to tell gang members to pick up the bottle or garbage they leave on the street. I'm shameless, stupid, and I must have a death wish or something, but, you know what? I'm RIGHT!"

According to the way you had formally put it .. You didn't just hand it to someone .. did you?

You wanted us to believe that you were "Being Tough On Crime" and Showing, forcefully these people the error of their way!

In fact, You were breaking the law, (burglary, assault maybe even battery) and if any LEO worth their salt had seen this confrontation .. You would be 'tweeting' from a cell block!
My original post was written when I was adding my rage to those who nonchalantly deposit their cigarettes and trash where it doesn't belong. Upon rereading my initial post, I see that my rage at the time of writing skewed the story. Of course, you're not going to believe this, but it is the truth. The event I wrote about happened very quickly almost a decade ago, giving me almost no time to think. It was pure instinct. She threw the cigarette out the window and I, as a nearby pedestrian on a busy street, picked it up in about 3 seconds and handed it back to her with the words "You dropped this" (or "You dropped something"). She accepted the cigarette but didn't realize what it was until later when she dropped it on her seat or her carpeted floor. You want to send me to jail for returning something to its owner and rail against my having breached the car's interior. You post repeatedly to tell me so...but not once have you noted how the person dropping the cigarette was guilty of anything. Why should anyone, especially me, pay attention to that kind of thinking?

Last edited by mhouse2001; 06-03-2011 at 07:26 PM..

Old 06-03-2011, 10:14 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yes, all of the smokers take over the patio areas at just about any coffee shop with one. Malls, yes I hate going to outdoor malls, I hate breathing the filth of craven addicts.
Well, perhaps if the smoking bans were not so draconian.....and allowed some establishments to permit smoking.........the smokers would all go to those places......and you could have the nonsmoking places ALL TO YOURSELVES......inside AND outside.

Yep.....too bad nonsmoking and smoking establishments aren't permitted.....think about it.

The vitriol spewed here shows just WHY that didn't happen. Compromise would have been better for both smokers and nonsmokers.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:40 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

You should chill out a little. Maybe smoke a joint and relax.

Walking by a smoker never hurt anybody.

I'm not a smoker, but I love walking by them while outside and smelling the aroma of fresh cigarette smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies