Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 07:42 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Well, perhaps if the smoking bans were not so draconian.....and allowed some establishments to permit smoking.........the smokers would all go to those places......and you could have the nonsmoking places ALL TO YOURSELVES......inside AND outside.

Yep.....too bad nonsmoking and smoking establishments aren't permitted.....think about it.

The vitriol spewed here shows just WHY that didn't happen. Compromise would have been better for both smokers and nonsmokers.

But that would require people to value freedom..... the freedom of choice.

Many people don't understand freedom. They only want freedom when it supports their choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 07:46 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
All that material from filter tips wasted over many years. A resource that could have saved America's infrastructure - lost......

It's danged shame the intellectuals among the elites couldn't figure that out....being so much smarter than the average Joe.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:17 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Well, perhaps if the smoking bans were not so draconian.....and allowed some establishments to permit smoking.........the smokers would all go to those places......and you could have the nonsmoking places ALL TO YOURSELVES......inside AND outside.

Yep.....too bad nonsmoking and smoking establishments aren't permitted.....think about it.

The vitriol spewed here shows just WHY that didn't happen. Compromise would have been better for both smokers and nonsmokers.
Oh, yah mean like Starbucks....yeah, allow smoking inside their stores.

I wish they would allow smoking in any establishment that wanted to allow it, I agree with you there.

But seeing that smokers are only 19% of the population, businesses would be smart to look out for the majority.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:18 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
And most people don't realize that cigarette butts are plastic.
Fiberglass?

Old 06-04-2011, 08:43 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

I wish they would allow smoking in any establishment that wanted to allow it, I agree with you there.

But seeing that smokers are only 19% of the population, businesses would be smart to look out for the majority.
what if i wanted to open a bar that only catered to smokers, with a big sign at the front entrance that says "non smokers enter at your own risk smokers present"

Old 06-04-2011, 09:15 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
It would be nice if they actually provided public ashtrays, like they used to before the "smoking Nazis" took over this country... particularly here in California, where you'd be hard-pressed to find ANY ashtrays anywhere. It's illegal to throw a fresh cigarette into a trash can, so what do you expect? I personally try to avoid littering if at all possible, so I'll usually just stomp it out & put it back in the pack to dispose of later. But yeah, the littering would improve if they'd give us back our darned ashtrays. Of course, that would only help with the cigarette litter, and wouldn't do much about the other crap people throw on the ground. I see more garbage than butts around here, so I'm not buying that it's the "most common form of litter."

P.S. I rarely even smoke outside of my car & home, since people here are so obnoxious about it. It's still legal (like it or not), I'm 34 years old, and yet I feel like a criminal every time I smoke in public - you'd think I was lighting a crack pipe, for goodness sakes.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:18 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

But seeing that smokers are only 19% of the population, businesses would be smart to look out for the majority.[/quote]
Not really. In the beginning of the bans here in Ohio......permitting some businesses to allow smoking was discussed.

One of the arguments given against it? The places that could allow smoking would have an unfair advantage. The people arguing FOR the bans insisted that there needed to be a "level playing field".

So, if smoking only businesses were sure to fail.....what were the anti-smoking groups so afraid of?

Last edited by Annie53; 06-04-2011 at 09:28 PM..

Old 06-04-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Nah, most smokers would be the ones to watch because of they do their normal hacking and coughing and never wash their hands. I would be willing to bet they dont wash their hands after going to the bathroom. The stinch on their clothing is another sign in not being a clean person who has hygiene issues.

Anyone who would allow their fingers to turn yellow from the smoking surely cannot be a clean person all the way around.
Oh, get over yourself already... I wash my hands EVERY time I use the bathroom, and yet I'm sure many non-smokers do not. People have become such whiny babies, I swear.

Btw, can I take you up on that bet? I could use some extra money!

Old 06-04-2011, 09:27 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It would be nice if they actually provided public ashtrays, like they used to before the "smoking Nazis" took over this country... particularly here in California, where you'd be hard-pressed to find ANY ashtrays anywhere. It's illegal to throw a fresh cigarette into a trash can, so what do you expect? I personally try to avoid littering if at all possible, so I'll usually just stomp it out & put it back in the pack to dispose of later. But yeah, the littering would improve if they'd give us back our darned ashtrays. Of course, that would only help with the cigarette litter, and wouldn't do much about the other crap people throw on the ground. I see more garbage than butts around here, so I'm not buying that it's the "most common form of litter."

P.S. I rarely even smoke outside of my car & home, since people here are so obnoxious about it. It's still legal (like it or not), I'm 34 years old, and yet I feel like a criminal every time I smoke in public - you'd think I was lighting a crack pipe, for goodness sakes.
I am soooo glad you pointed that out. The smoke nazis demanding that public ashtrays be removed has had a lot to do with cigarette butts ending up on the ground. Those antis are a real piece of work.....take away the ashtrays then complain when people throw their cig butts on the ground.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I am soooo glad you pointed that out. The smoke nazis demanding that public ashtrays be removed has had a lot to do with cigarette butts ending up on the ground. Those antis are a real piece of work.....take away the ashtrays then complain when people throw their cig butts on the ground.
Exactly!! I guess you can't please everyone, huh? As I said, this country has been overrun by whiny babies.

Funny thing is, people were OUTRAGED at San Francisco's legislation regarding Happy Meals... which, btw, only stated that prizes won't be given unless the healthier option (apples instead of fries) is chosen. So it's okay to legislate what adults do with their lungs, but trying to encourage children to eat healthier is "crazy liberal crap?" That's America for ya - disparaging smokers is fine & dandy, but take away their greasy fries and it's war!!

For the record, I thought that Happy Meal thing was BS too... let 'em eat what they want, just don't complain later when your child becomes obese.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-04-2011 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies