Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 10:05 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

================================================== ================================================== ==============
Sounds like Christopher Reeves. As far as I know he fought to have a good life until the last. He didn't use the death machine.

I agree harm is not doing anything to help a person who is in pain. There are many options besides convincing them to have the death machine visit them.
That was Christofer Reeve's choice. He had a lot of money.....could afford the best care in the comfort of his own magnificent home. He could travel.....again....he had the money to do so.

Many people in his circumstance would end up institutionalized for life.

Many people in his situation would choose to end their life regardless of their circumstance. Why should that be YOUR decision instead of theirs? Why should they be condemned to suffer because of YOUR beliefs or because of what YOU think YOUR God wants?

How can someone make the decision to condemn someone else to a horrific life just to satisfy their own personal beliefs? Now, THAT is the stance that is pure evil and unbelievably selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 10:10 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,417,672 times
How can anyone find it acceptable for a doctor to decide when a person has no quality of life when the person is not mentally competent?

Old 06-04-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Why do you think Christians cannot face death or deal with it? I have had to sit at my mother's death bed and make end of life decisions for her.

We asked our mother years before what she wanted at the end of life. She did not want to end up on machines so I told the doctor to keep her comfortable as much as possible when he told us nothing else could be done. If she was on a machine we would have had to decide to turn it off when the doctor told us there was no brain activity. People have to make these decisions every day and they do.

Don't come to me and tell me the kind thing is to help her along to die. Don't expect me to live with that guilt. You can go home and not be bothered, she wasn't your mother. If my mother was in terrible pain I would do anything to help her with it, short of killing her.

If you think that is cowardly than you have your head up your butt. Cowardly is the death machine and going back to your own life not to be bothered again.
How would you have liked it if the government decided that your mother should have been hooked up to all kinds of machines against her wishes? Would that have been OK with you? Extending your mother's suffering because that is what OTHERS thought should be done?

Maybe there are people out there who think your Mother was cowardly because she didn't choose to avail herself of every life extending option available.

Yet, you have no problem forcing YOUR end of life beliefs on others.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
How can anyone find it acceptable for a doctor to decide when a person has no quality of life when the person is not mentally competent?
So, if the patient IS mentally competent, you are OK with assisted suicide?

And......the case that Dr. Jack was imprisoned over was documented on "60 Minutes"......there was NO DOUBT that the man involved was competent.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,417,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
How would you have liked it if the government decided that your mother should have been hooked up to all kinds of machines against her wishes? Would that have been OK with you? Extending your mother's suffering because that is what OTHERS thought should be done?

Maybe there are people out there who think your Mother was cowardly because she didn't choose to avail herself of every life extending option available.

The government of the United States of America has never had any say so in the end of life decisions. How is it that the goverment forced life support on your mother?

Old 06-04-2011, 10:26 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

This is why people make out end of life papers. If you do not have one I suggest you get one. No one thought my mother should have extended her life beyond what was reasonable----not at 97.

I don't want to force anything I also don't want anything forced onto me about Euthanasia by making it legal. Then people will be forced to think not choosing it is wrong for society. It doesn't take much money to use the death drugs as opposed to the health care they need until they let nature take it's course. Pain relieving drugs for a month is more expensive than death drugs given one time.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
The government of the United States of America has never had any say so in the end of life decisions. How is it that the goverment forced life support on your mother?
Ummm....where did I say that the government forced life support on my Mother?

The US Government does not allow people full choice regarding end of life decisions......if it did.....people would be allowed to choose assisted suicide.

Let me rephrase.

I asked Janelle how she would have liked it if it was against the law for her Mother to choose not to be hooked up to machines to keep her alive as long as possible....... because OTHER PEOPLE.....COMPLETE STRANGERS.....believed that giving up was cowardly?

Old 06-04-2011, 10:30 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You don't show compassion,you just want what you want.

I am all for anyone offing themselves anytime for any reason....as long as they do the deed themselves and don't puss out wanting someone else doing the dirty deed.
Why?

Old 06-04-2011, 10:32 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
Quote:
Sounds like Christopher Reeves. As far as I know he fought to have a good life until the last. He didn't use the death machine.

I agree harm is not doing anything to help a person who is in pain. There are many options besides convincing them to have the death machine visit them.
The point being he chose to stay alive as long as possible. Others would choose not to. That's what this issue is about: Choice for your own life.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
This is why people make out end of life papers. If you do not have one I suggest you get one. No one thought my mother should have extended her life beyond what was reasonable----not at 97.

I don't want to force anything I also don't want anything forced onto me about Euthanasia by making it legal. Then people will be forced to think not choosing it is wrong for society. It doesn't take much money to use the death drugs as opposed to the health care they need until they let nature take it's course. Pain relieving drugs for a month is more expensive than death drugs given one time.
But.....I asked you how would you have liked it if it was against the law to refuse all treatments available....no matter the circumstance.

Your argument regarding asking for assisted suicide because of peer pressure could also be used in the case of your Mother.

Maybe some people feel pressured to refuse life extending treatments because of the monetary and emotional costs to their loved ones?

So.....using your reasoning.....people should not be allowed to refuse to have their lives extended by all mean available......the patient could be making that decision to spare their loved ones. Get it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies