Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 12:13 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You should be free to kill yourself I agree.

You can kill YOURSELF,not some other person kill you.

Seems simple enough.
Why not? If I ask them, why can't they help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 12:28 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I could argue that it's harder for pets, because they can't communicate - so we are left to decide for them, when it is time to let them go.
How can you tell us that you think paralyzed people have a fine quality of life? That's an outrageous statement, are you hearing yourself?
As someone who has had to make that decision many times, I wholeheartedly agree with you. It would be easier if your pet could tell you it is time.....making that decision for them is pure torture.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:03 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
As someone who has had to make that decision many times, I wholeheartedly agree with you. It would be easier if your pet could tell you it is time.....making that decision for them is pure torture.
I know, it's only been a couple weeks since I put my bestest friend in the whole world down. She was my primary source of joy. It's not all that different.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:21 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
But it's not up to us to decide when it's time to go. The act of suicide is total arrogance. A selfish act like that denies others the chance to bless you by serving, and it makes a statement that you are somehow able to tell God you can make a better decision than he can.
You are aware that patients can refuse to accept life saving measures that would prolong their life? For example, a person can sign a DNR form that says they don't want CPR, intubation, defibrillation and antibiotics. That is also a "selfish" act and an intervention by the patient to tell God that he knows better than God in your definition. Yet that is perfectly legal.

I'm sorry but your view is selfish and myopic. What if the person does not believe in God? Maybe they want to die with dignity and not in pain. Maybe they want to give their families an opportunity to spend their last days with them while they are able to communicate and express their love toward them. And while you may have witnessed someone in pain, you haven't gone through it yourself. You don't know what it is like to have your respiratory muscles cease working and have the person experience the sensation of drowning for a prolonged period of time.

There are a lot of idiots who know nothing about Kevorkian aside from the monicker Dr. Death. If they educated themselves and learned what he did, they would learn he was a compassionate man who was trying to do the right thing. Individuals with terminal illnesses should have the right to die with dignity and not in pain. There is no reason they should suffer to satisfy the religious beliefs of others like yourself. It is sad the medical establishment can't make exception with regards to euthanasia for patients with terminal illnesses. This will ultimately become a reality as our society continues to evolve and become more intelligent much like civil rights was passed.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:58 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,312,552 times
Assisted suicide should be the standard of care. And insurance should cover it.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:41 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
This is why people make out end of life papers. If you do not have one I suggest you get one. No one thought my mother should have extended her life beyond what was reasonable----not at 97.

I don't want to force anything I also don't want anything forced onto me about Euthanasia by making it legal. Then people will be forced to think not choosing it is wrong for society. It doesn't take much money to use the death drugs as opposed to the health care they need until they let nature take it's course. Pain relieving drugs for a month is more expensive than death drugs given one time.
Yes, and don't the drug companies LOVE that! I bet they're against people having the choice to end their own suffering....

Old 06-05-2011, 07:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
What don't you get about "choice?"

We give that CHOICE to pet owners. Why can we not make the same CHOICE for ourselves?
So we can now choose to OWN people? Since I can go out and buy a dog and even put MY dog in a fence or make it wear a collar, can I do the same thing with a human? I want to buy one.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:59 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
That's the problem. Terminally ill people are in pain and suffering, but some just don't understand why anyone in such a state would want to die. That's just plain stubbornness.
That's the whole problem with you euthanasia types and why you shouldn't be allowed to go around killing people. You think you know what someone else might want but some people might want to live even if you think they shouldn't.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:00 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Why not? If I ask them, why can't they help me?
Because actively assisting someone would be killing them.

You could provide a plan and could probably even sell the equipment to do it,but not pull the trigger for them.

Seems fair enough to me.

You want people to be able to kill themselves at will,I am agreeing with that part.You simply can't have others pulling the trigger is all.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:02 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Assisted suicide should be the standard of care. And insurance should cover it.
Why?
Why can't those who want to off themselves do it on their own?

Seems to me people are simply wanting to be divorced from the 'messy aspects' of offing yourself....like with almost everything in modern life.

Want to die?Grow a pair and off yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies