Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:04 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,863,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
So being wealthy makes you relevant?

They get media time because the media keeps chasing after them because the media decided they are the "black authority" on everything black and some people believe that.
Being relevant makes you wealthy, people still show up and support these men in large numbers. Don't try to blame this on the media, a lot of black people support people like Jackson and Sharpton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 09:07 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,394,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Being relevant makes you wealthy, people still show up and support these men in large numbers. Don't try to blame this on the media, a lot of black people support people like Jackson and Sharpton.
Guess that depends on your definition of "a lot". There's "a lot" of black people in my family and none of us do. I have "a lot" of black friends and as far as I know none of them do. In fact, most of the "a lot" of black people I know go straight to Cedric The Entertainers Barbershop joke every time Jesse Jackson is mentioned.

Question though; when is the last time either of them held a rally where people showed up in large numbers?

Old 06-05-2011, 09:10 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,004,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
So being wealthy makes you relevant?

They get media time because the media keeps chasing after them because the media decided they are the "black authority" on everything black and some people believe that.

As for the rally or protest, you might be right. But then again just about any public figure can garner a crowd so I'm still not sure that says anything special about them. I'd like to see them sale tickets and see what kind of turnout they get.

So those handful of people are the blacks now? I guess I'm glad I'm not one of the blacks
I don't mean any disrespect to you.... hope you are doing well in life The thing i have seen in my life is the deterioration of our society brought on by promises never kept by these Shakespearean Lawyers.
Most of my black friends will vote for Obama again but a few are like me its the economy and Obama made alot of promises to Southern Ohio that he has not kept. Atomic Energy...no funding as of yet for enrichment or a nuclear energy plant for Piketon Ohio.If you make promises you keep them i do listen and vote.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:33 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,787,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
I don't mean any disrespect to you.... hope you are doing well in life The thing i have seen in my life is the deterioration of our society brought on by promises never kept by these Shakespearean Lawyers.
Most of my black friends will vote for Obama again but a few are like me its the economy and Obama made alot of promises to Southern Ohio that he has not kept. Atomic Energy...no funding as of yet for enrichment or a nuclear energy plant for Piketon Ohio.If you make promises you keep them i do listen and vote.
His administration guaranteed loans for nuclear power in Georgia. I'm sure once the red tape is cut at other nuclear power sites, they will get some loans also. You can't just snap your fingers and automatically start enriching uranium, there are strict regulations that have to be met.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:42 AM

1,027 posts, read 825,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
He spoke the truth and now people are calling him a racist.... all he is referring to is how so called black leadership is keeping the sheeple where they want them ENTITLED not EMPOWERED.If Herman Cain had just given up when everybody in life told him NO you can't go to this college or you can't succeed in a White mans business world then your living soul is defeated...he did not quit but persevered.
Mr.Cain will get my vote because he has refused to let the status quo dictate to him,that he could dream an impossible dream to become a highly successful,educated,productive black businessman...which scares the likes of Jackson,Sharpton who have turned Dr Kings dream and hopes into a nightmare.
Jackson and Sharpton what have they done for you...What positions in life have they held other than living off of the agony of the Black man where Herman has become enriched thru hard work,determination and I bet job creation in his lifetime.Just my view...

You know what I find odd about this post?

Obama has lived his life in EVERY WAY "conservatives" say blacks should aspire to be.

Even coming from a poor single mom...to Harvard...serving the community...working as a professional...all while being a family man at the same time.

Yet he is hated on a PERSONAL LEVEL by the right.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:49 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,305,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post

Obama has lived his life in EVERY WAY "conservatives" say blacks should aspire to be.

Even coming from a poor single mom...to Harvard...serving the community...working as a professional...all while being a family man at the same time.

Obama was raised by a single mother, graduated from an Ivy league school, taught law at one of the best law schools in the USA, was elected to the US senate, later became President, and conservatives sill claim that he hasn't achieved anything. It's like no matter what he does it's not enough. He could win the Nobel Prize and they would still say "so what"

Yet they admire Joe the plumber

Old 06-05-2011, 09:54 AM

589 posts, read 377,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
where is the actual link for this story, that link says "page not found"?
No problemo about the link for me, it works

Old 06-05-2011, 09:58 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,863,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Obama was raised by a single mother, graduated from an Ivy league school, taught law at one of the best law schools in the USA, was elected to the US senate, later became President, and conservatives sill claim that he hasn't achieved anything. It's like no matter what he does it's not enough. He could win the Nobel Prize and they would still say "so what"

Yet they admire Joe the plumber

Great, so now we know that affirmative action does in some ways work, now can we work on the part about his political philosophy and it's complete failure to work?

Old 06-05-2011, 10:10 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,004,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
His administration guaranteed loans for nuclear power in Georgia. I'm sure once the red tape is cut at other nuclear power sites, they will get some loans also. You can't just snap your fingers and automatically start enriching uranium, there are strict regulations that have to be met.
The companies involved have been at this forever it included the French at one time.He made this promise while campaigning the companies involved have already requested years ago and have been put in limbo.Besides Uranium Enrichment of U-235 was done here to make fuel for reactors and the BOMB till it was decommissoned the infrastructure is still in place all they need is 2 BILLION dollars from the government to start enriching again.
Besides USEC there is another company that needs money to make the machines on site to install at this plant word is they want to make 11,500 centrifuge machines.Babcock Wilcox has a clean up operation there now converting waste into useable fuel.What do you think happened to the Russian nuke material from their decommissoned warheads? Processed at Piketon Ohio "swords into plowshares".So you are wrong all that stimulus money left and they can't give a loan after 4 years of 2 Billion dollars to create thousands of construction,manufacturing jobs now?

Old 06-05-2011, 10:26 AM

1,027 posts, read 825,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Great, so now we know that affirmative action does in some ways work, now can we work on the part about his political philosophy and it's complete failure to work?
Classic talking point

Got Proof?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies