Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 04:04 AM

589 posts, read 376,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The man in the aisle seat is trying to tell me why he refuses to hire anybody. His business is successful, he says, as the 737 cruises smoothly eastward. Demand for his product is up. But he still won’t hire.
“Why not?”
“Because I don’t know how much it will cost,” he explains. “How can I hire new workers today, when I don’t know how much they will cost me tomorrow?”
He’s referring not to wages, but to regulation: He has no way of telling what new rules will go into effect when. His business, although it covers several states, operates on low margins. He can’t afford to take the chance of losing what little profit there is to the next round of regulatory changes. And so he’s hiring nobody until he has some certainty about cost.

Uncertainty and economic recovery: Partisan animal spirits | The Economist
This is why Obama's recovery is failing !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 04:12 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
He should hire illegal immigrants.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:28 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
He should hire illegal immigrants.
Or, legal gimmiegrants.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:38 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,040,018 times
So he wants a guarantee huh? His 'widget' business could fall flat on its face tomorrow. The fact that his business is looking good for the future is all he should need to hire right now. There are no guarantees. Risk/Reward.

Quote from the movie Tommy Boy
(paraphrasing)

customer: Why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy Boy: Because they know they sold you a guaranteed piece of *****(crap). If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed I will.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:11 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
So he wants a guarantee huh? His 'widget' business could fall flat on its face tomorrow. The fact that his business is looking good for the future is all he should need to hire right now. There are no guarantees. Risk/Reward.

Quote from the movie Tommy Boy
(paraphrasing)

customer: Why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy Boy: Because they know they sold you a guaranteed piece of *****(crap). If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed I will.
What utopia do you live in? Obviously not a small business owners' utopia...that much is evident. Otherwise you'd have at least some respect for his business acumen in this tough economic environment.

It's called being smart. Business is not always about risk/reward, as you suggest.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:17 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
You're exactly right. Just as in the stock market, a business person must have confidence in the market in which he/she serves. You wouldn't buy a stock that you know will tank tomorrow, so why would a business person pour money into hiring if there's reason to believe the return on investment is not worth the expenditure?

Obama hasn't even ran a lemon-aid stand so we shouldn't expect him to understand business basics.

I'm with the guy in this article wholeheartedly...and apparently thousands of business owners nationwide are as well.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What utopia do you live in? Obviously not a small business owners' utopia...that much is evident.
Lets look at what the guy said .....
Quote:
His business is successful, he says
My point is (as if you did not know), is that if he wants his business to be MORE successful, he needs to take risks. Plain and simple. Or ... he can just continue being successful.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:17 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,593,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Or, legal gimmiegrants.
that's a new one

Old 06-12-2011, 06:20 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
There are a million reasons why a small business can fail. Why add more variables with uncertainty about tax policy?

LOL @ people thinking the US is a "low-tax" country. LOL indeed.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Obama hasn't even ran a lemon-aid stand so we shouldn't expect him to understand business basics.

I'm with the guy in this article wholeheartedly...and apparently thousands of business owners nationwide are as well.
OK, let me see if I got this right ....

Either you are blaming Obama because this guy has a successful business ...
or ...
you are blaming Obama because this guys business is not more successful.

Come on man.

(Blame is so much better to give than receive)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies